Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 571936 times)

John R

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:15 pm »

A few closer to home. Went on two outings with the club to get some "architecture" shots. So I helped teach what visual design is all about. And when you practice what you have learned you can see subjects as elements within a picture space and hopefully arrange them beyond the standard view. And by the way, does anyone know what has happened to the original "Without prejudice?"

Richowens

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 01:03:51 am »

Hi John,
The original is still here. Chris started another to prevent a database problem.
The original "Professional Works" thread in Mediium Format forum reached page 220 and would only display a blank page. Chris went back a page or two
and started a new thread which overlapped the old one.

Since "Without Prejudice" enjoyed much the same popularity and was growing in leaps and bound, Chris created 2 to ensure continuity.

Rich

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:37 am »

Atavistic reaction, of course.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:06:47 am by Rob C »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:07 pm »

Play Ball

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

John R

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »

Re Play Ball: Great shot Chris. Not many people think of portraying reality this way.

John R

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:08 am »

A week or so ago I was sitting in the car wondering whether to risk the monsoon and go for lunch; today, the first signs of spring come out to tease one.. but I don't trust them! They always prove false.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:07:02 am by Rob C »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:35 am »

Helluva tease, Rob!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 03:33:31 pm »

Helluva tease, Rob!
It sure is. And I just finished shoveling out some 15" of wet, heavy snow (the forecast at one point predicted 4-8"). Spring? Winter is just settling in here.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:09 pm »

It sure is. And I just finished shoveling out some 15" of wet, heavy snow (the forecast at one point predicted 4-8"). Spring? Winter is just settling in here.

You mean the type the media dubbed "heart-attack snow?" Careful there, man! ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 09:08:04 pm »

You mean the type the media dubbed "heart-attack snow?" Careful there, man! ;)
Yup!
I just spent the morning in the ER with what turned out to be a kidney stone (more painful than hand-holding an 11x14" Deardorff), and I had to shovel out one car so my wife could drive to the pharmacy to get my pain meds. A fun day in all.
No heart attack yet, and the pain meds do work.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:07 pm »

If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 04:20:53 am »

Yup!
I just spent the morning in the ER with what turned out to be a kidney stone (more painful than hand-holding an 11x14" Deardorff), and I had to shovel out one car so my wife could drive to the pharmacy to get my pain meds. A fun day in all.
No heart attack yet, and the pain meds do work.

And that's no joke!

We used to burn up to three tons of wood in a bad year just to keep the apartment dry and the living area warm. After the first heart attack the cardio said no wheelbarrow work, which meant that the ton that was delivered each time could no longer be carted by myself from where it got dumped in the carpark, some seventy-five paces away from the corner of the garden where the wood was kept neatly stacked (I had been a boy scout…). Consequently, I had to pay the delivery guy to do that for me, and it ended up costing €400 a pop. €1200 a year on wood is quite expensive, considering one also has to pay for sky-high electricity for all the other heating, lighting, cooking and tv and computers etc. etc.

The best option, all things considered, is to have frequent check-ups before you have any symptoms. I wish I’d heeded my own advice, but it does prove that you often have to make your own mistakes.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 07:51:25 am »

I get a checkup twice a year. My cardio has me doing the dreaded treadmill twice a year as well even though I am totally asymptomatic of any heart disease. But, me thinks when reading stories such as yours, perhaps the preventive medicine is the best route afterall.

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 08:03:11 am »

I get a checkup twice a year. My cardio has me doing the dreaded treadmill twice a year as well even though I am totally asymptomatic of any heart disease. But, me thinks when reading stories such as yours, perhaps the preventive medicine is the best route afterall.

Yes, going for check-ups does help, but there's much that you can do for yourself before medics have to step in with advice: FWIW I'd say cut out cheese, processed delicatessen meats, booze, pastries containing suet, cigarettes (which nobody sane should even consider these days!), colas and absolutely all animal fats.

For a while, you'll believe that everything you could possibly enjoy is bad for you; and you are probably right!

But better to live modestly and enjoy your time without being victim to your own excesses, when so many of them can be avoided with but a modicum of willpower.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. As I was leaving hospital after the first event, I was told that sex was definitely good for one... what they didn't mention was that some of the meds you end up taking for the rest of your life think otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:06:00 am by Rob C »

Mjollnir

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 10:07:59 am »

PLOH, SF by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »

I need to either copy-write [should have been "copyright"] it or learn to keep my thumb out of the lens.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:44:05 am by Bruce Cox »

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 05:57:05 am »

I need to either copy-write it or learn to keep my thumb out of the lens.

I've looked and looked, but I see no thumb signature. Not even an X!

;-)

Rob C

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 10:38:54 am »

I've looked and looked, but I see no thumb signature. Not even an X!

;-)

Rob C

I doctored the lower left corner to cover up an orange thumb.  I then came up with the unnecessary comment conflating thumb prints and copyrights.  Then I improved the doctored corner a good bit, but neglected to drop the bullshit comment.  Thanks for not seeing it.

Bruce

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 11:01:36 am »

Yes, going for check-ups does help, but there's much that you can do for yourself before medics have to step in with advice: FWIW I'd say cut out cheese, processed delicatessen meats, booze, pastries containing suet, cigarettes (which nobody sane should even consider these days!), colas and absolutely all animal fats.

For a while, you'll believe that everything you could possibly enjoy is bad for you; and you are probably right!

But better to live modestly and enjoy your time without being victim to your own excesses, when so many of them can be avoided with but a modicum of willpower.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. As I was leaving hospital after the first event, I was told that sex was definitely good for one... what they didn't mention was that some of the meds you end up taking for the rest of your life think otherwise.

And for all that's what its worth, my best friend, who never smoked, ran three miles every day, ate the best diet I think I 've ever known anyone to eat, dropped dead in his kitchen making a fruit & yogurt smoothie (he was 58). Even with his healthy ways, he was blocked more than 95% in every major aortic artery. Way more than 65% of all cardiac disease is genetic. My great aunt died at age 92 while trying to ride her tricycle up a steep hill. She did die of cardiac failure. She smoked a pack of chesterfield's (unfiltered) about every two days and never missed a hot toddy at night. She always ate whatever she wanted and exercized sparingly except for the trike which she used weekly to go to the corner grocer. She and her sisters, all of whom lived well into their 90's had good genes as does my mother who is still cranking right along at 88. And so it goes.

As to the pills you take to not cack from a heart attack also stopping other physical pleasures...that's what they make the little blue pills for.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 11:03:55 am »

Re Play Ball: Great shot Chris. Not many people think of portraying reality this way.

John R

Thanks, John. I like this one for the same reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137   Go Up