What I do is this – more or less as I remember it.
I take the original file from the scan and then, if doing b/white, don’t mess with it at all before converting it into b/white. Once in b/w I use Pshop to alter the thing until it looks right to me.
At that stage, I make a Copy As file and then change that down from 4000ppi to 72 and fix the width to 600 pixels (the height maxing at 500 pixels if it’s from a crop), to keep the look of the website. I add the white background space and also the outer black line.
Once that’s done, I sharpen, usually (for Internet) as below:
Quantity: 30 – 75 %
Radius: 0.5 pixels
(My PS6 is now back working in Spanish after a brief foray giving me English…! Surprisingly, I’ve actually become more familiar with it in Spanish now.)
All of this work is done with the machine set at sRGBIEC1966-2.1 (Thanks, Keith for your time on 16/03/2009! It’s printed and up on the wall still.)
The final step is to print on the captions. After that, I make another Save As copy and convert it to jpeg. That's the first time we get a jpeg into the system.
Once that’s done, I put the jpeg file onto an external drive from which it goes to the Internet computer and out to the brave world out there.
The thing is, the jpeg file on the external drive still looks good on the monitor when viewed from either computer.
I vacuumed the openings in both machines before I made lunch. I opened the PS one and it looked perfectly clean inside but the various fan apertures were dirty as hell! However, the Internet one wouldn’t open easily and I decided not to force anything.