Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 571975 times)

Harald L

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #280 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:47 am »

Thanks - no treats this morning.

I sprang out of bed at 7am - well, not exactly 'sprang' but anyway, eat the flakes and darted off (exaggerating again) to the garage where the car was due a service. As there were no other customers present there, no wonder at 8am, I hung around and chatted to the mechanic as he worked. When he lifted the hood, he said oh, rats! I said no, snails, because I'd found half-a-dozen of them some weeks ago dirtibuted over the battery, fried. No, he said, rats; look at the muddy footprints. He was right! The little buggers have also chewed a couple of cables which I have subsequently bound up with black electrical tape. I hope they don't enjoy that. Anyway, he suggested I buy some sachets of rat poison and put them under the hood...

All in a day's entertainment - and who said I know nothing about farm life? You can't avoid it.

;-)

Rob C

I've never heard that rats are chewing on cables. We have a lot of trouble with martens and you can only get rid of them by a wire mesh under your motor compartment.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #281 on: September 04, 2013, 06:07:45 am »

I've never heard that rats are chewing on cables. We have a lot of trouble with martens and you can only get rid of them by a wire mesh under your motor compartment.

Harald

No, these are fully paid-up rats: I eventually found the characteristic droppings.

It's a question of which is worse: the rats or the birds. The birds poop straight acid - probably powerful enough to put into your battery. What they do to the car's paint isn't pretty, but there's nothing to be done. We also have pigeons, and can't do anything about then either. They go up on the roof and drop their droppings down the side of the building and into the various gutters, where they clog the outlets and cause flooding. We can't poison them because that's too dangerous to other wildlife; can't have them shot because it's illegal to use even an airgun in a built-up area. So the damned birds win without a battle. And then we have to pay every spring to have a couple of men go up there and clean everything up, and that doesn't take into consideration the damage that the build-up of water does to the ceiling of the staircase; I can't count the number of times that the plaster has collapsed and we've had to get the painters back in...

I did buy some fireworks once and go up into the penthouse from where I could throw lit bangers onto the roof, but in the end it was I who was the more discomfited from both the noise and the risk; not a Guy Fawkes figure at the best of times.

Though we have a hill covered in pines about a hundred yards away, and an abandoned farm on the other side of the hedge that's turning into a pine forest (the farm, not the hedge), I haven't seen any martens, nor do I know if they live on Mallorca. I did once see something at the foot of the hedge that looked like a very large and hairy brownish cat one evening, but it ran away so quickly I didn't have time to recover from the shock and take note of what the hell it really was. I hate the very idea of rabies.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2013, 03:38:45 pm »

It's infectious. From the Hasselfake to the new now - witness the XPanfake.

It'll never catch on.

;-)

Rob C

http://youtu.be/Hs_63UhrpBo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:18:56 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:53 am »

With love to David Hamilton, who inspired a generation or two.

I shall never forget Dreams of Young Girls which I pushed the local library to get for me because I couldn't afford it myself - anymore than I could Haskins' Cowboy Kate which I did manage to buy years later when it was reprinted... Why is youth so often wasted on the impecunious?

Now, if the Haskin heirs would only find a publisher for the best of them all: Five Girls.

Rob C

http://youtu.be/tHthljTEkRw
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:19:09 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

Rob C

David inspired many in the painting world also. Myself included. Thank you david.

Peter

Harald L

« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:11 pm »

I shall never forget Dreams of Young Girls which I pushed the local library to get for me because I couldn't afford it myself - anymore than I could Haskins' Cowboy Kate which I did manage to buy years later when it was reprinted... Why is youth so often wasted on the impecunious?

Now, if the Haskin heirs would only find a publisher for the best of them all: Five Girls.

Rob C

http://youtu.be/tHthljTEkRw

Your local library really had purchased a Hamilton? I just imagine how the staff of our library would react on that request in the 70's.
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2013, 10:18:36 am »

Your local library really had purchased a Hamilton? I just imagine how the staff of our library would react on that request in the 70's.

I don't think so; as far as I know, all the libraries were connected and sent stuff around the country to meet special requests.

I think we (Britain) were far more open-minded in the 60s/70s than we are, generally, today, not because of any basic changes in people, but huge ones in political correctness that is, in my view, one of worst things to have befallen womankind next to the feminist movement, that caused so many to lose much of the power that they already had - pretty much from the cradle.

Not all women fell for it, and those that did not managed to survive and prosper perfectly well, and certainly not any worse than they would have in any case.

Where I think much needs to be done is in the fight against male violence towards women. But then, isn't that an example of cowardice more than anything else? Perhaps the Italians have it about right: hurt my child and I hurt you. Whoever the eff you are. Maybe that attitude moderates life somewhat? I'm all for it. Especially now with two granddaughters.

Ciao,

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #287 on: September 10, 2013, 08:39:49 pm »

I don't think so; as far as I know, all the libraries were connected and sent stuff around the country to meet special requests.

I think we (Britain) were far more open-minded in the 60s/70s than we are, generally, today, not because of any basic changes in people, but huge ones in political correctness that is, in my view, one of worst things to have befallen womankind next to the feminist movement, that caused so many to lose much of the power that they already had - pretty much from the cradle.

Not all women fell for it, and those that did not managed to survive and prosper perfectly well, and certainly not any worse than they would have in any case.

Where I think much needs to be done is in the fight against male violence towards women. But then, isn't that an example of cowardice more than anything else? Perhaps the Italians have it about right: hurt my child and I hurt you. Whoever the eff you are. Maybe that attitude moderates life somewhat? I'm all for it. Especially now with two granddaughters.

Ciao,

Rob C

I'm convinced that our exaggerated political correctness has already established a very particular dictatorship long ago. Regarding "hurt my child and I hurt you": This is not a matter of nationality. Did you spy on me when I had a serious talk to my sons in law when they asked me for my consent to marry my daughters?

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #288 on: September 11, 2013, 05:19:35 am »

That made me laugh; when my girlfriend and I decided we might as well go all formal and ask her parents for their blessings, their reactions were really funny: rather than look concerned or even falsely surprised, her father remarked that after six years of dating, it was about time!

Mostly, we all got on very well and they did a lot to help us both all their lives.

Fond memories of another Golden Age. Time's such a mother.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #289 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:29 am »

No idea if this post is in any way connected with my previous one, but the mood follows me here.

The shot's a favourite of my tenor sax-playing Cuban friend Nico's; I'm not sure why. I hope for something exotic therein that I can't see.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:20:31 pm by Rob C »

Mjollnir

« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:51 pm »

Just returned from Tuolumne Meadows last Sunday, coming down the 395, and the smoke from the Rim Fire was thick and EVERYWHERE on the east side.  I think it's the reason the mountains in the background, more specifically Lone Pine Peak, has such odd color.  I made no color adjustments, and my wife's shots, from a Canon 6D, had the exact same effect.

Lone Pine Peak, Lubken Road by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »

I've never heard that rats are chewing on cables.
Harald

They sharpen their front teeth that way. Rats can kill a car's wiring in a heartbeat.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:02 pm »

from this evening

armand

• Photos
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2013, 11:26:27 am »

Also from last evening. I'm not into moon photography but this is probably the biggest one that I photographed, must have been closer to Earth than usual.

Rob C

« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2013, 02:36:37 pm »

Somewhat closer to Earth, but there you go.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:20:51 pm by Rob C »

John R

« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »

Rob, your image hits a sweet spot for me and invites me to post some "abstract" images in turn.

JMR

armand

• Photos
« Reply #296 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:00 pm »

Network

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2013, 02:10:44 pm »

This camera mount is for vertical panos.

Rob C

« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:38 am »

Something my mother found in an old shop many years ago.

Dipstick Diptych without doors?

Rob C

P.S. Ooops! Posted the wrong version! Now fixed.

Wrong. Right version now, but as happened before with a shot of a girl over in the MF section, the thing has gone soft in the wrong places in translation to LuLa. The print/copy is no longer crisp. I despair.

Checked the file again, and it is crisp, with the induced grain on the right image very clearly defined, as is all the lettering on the 'sharp' image and the caption. I have to enlarge these thumbnails by clicking on them, and then waiting for them to open in a separate window - maybe that's the bumpy part of the LuLa track?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:21:50 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29:09 am »

Somewhat closer to Earth, but there you go.

;-)

Rob C

Lovely Rob..
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 137   Go Up