Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour papers  (Read 2727 times)

IWC Doppel

Colour papers
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:57:16 pm »

I am about to go up the learning curve with papers for colour and would value some advice. I have a 3880 and do mostly B&W, I have experimented a lot and now settled on three papers for B&W printing, all ABW 'profiles' now sorted and I am very happy with the results. I have settled on two top end - Epson Cold Press Natural, Hahnemuhle Museum Etching 350g, and one cheaper which I like a lot, Fotospeed Fine Art Nat text 315g. All textured matt. I want to try for a colour paper that is as matt as possible but keeping the D-Max. I have experimented a little with traditional Photo (exhibition fibre) but not in love yet. Any suggestion greatly appreciated, I really, really like the depth, texture and 'weight' of the fine art papers, but colour vibrancy is important as the reason I will print in colour is because of the colour 'punch' and impact.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:58:59 pm by IWC Doppel »

Rand47

Re: Colour papers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:41:02 pm »

Check out Canson Platine Fibre Rag.
I prefer Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, or Canson Bayrta Photographique, but I sense that your preference for matte papers may make Platine a good choice. 

Best,
Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:04:15 am »

My preferred paper is Museo Silver Rag.  They seem to have improved the quality control (there were a number of complaints on this forum about a year ago though I never had a bad batch).  Color's are vibrant and I like the surface.  2nd choice is Ilford Gold Fiber Silk.

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:39:06 am »

Check out Canson Platine Fibre Rag.
I prefer Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, or Canson Bayrta Photographique, but I sense that your preference for matte papers may make Platine a good choice.

I'll second the Canon Platine-BUT- the OP indicates a preference for matte papers, and the Platine is a "glossy" substrate and uses PK ink, not MK.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:49:04 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:19:36 pm »

I'll second the Canon Platine-BUT- the OP indicates a preference for matte papers, and the Platine is a "glossy" substrate and uses PK ink, not MK.

Roger that - but it is (IMO) one of he more subdued and "matte-like" in the category.  Nevertheless, a worthwhile clarification, thanks.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

artobest

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:10:24 am »

The punchiest colours I've seen from a matte paper were on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, but it does have some optical brighteners. Nice paper though, especially if you like an unintrusive surface.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:48:08 am »

The punchiest colours I've seen from a matte paper were on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, but it does have some optical brighteners. Nice paper though, especially if you like an unintrusive surface.
There are a bunch of samples that I submitted to Aardenburg for color fastness.  Most of them were done using ABW driver but there is one 'normal' color one (all done on an Epson 3880).  This is a really nice paper and may be good for the OP to test since he is interested in matte paper.  The small amount of OBA seems not to impact the paper as per the testing results so far.  The only issue that I have with it is there is pronounced curl of the corners upon storage and you need to be careful to reverse roll them in order to avoid head strikes when the end of the sheet comes through. 

IWC Doppel

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:31:11 am »

Thanks for the information.

I assume you were printing B&W with the ABW driver, sounds like a silly question, but just checking !

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »

Thanks for the information.

I assume you were printing B&W with the ABW driver, sounds like a silly question, but just checking !
Yes, but Mark asked to print out a variety of different tests using the Epson ABW toning wheel so there are a number of interesting tests going on right now.  The paper/ink combination seems to hold up very well.

Alan

KeithR

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »

Roger that - but it is (IMO) one of he more subdued and "matte-like" in the category.  Nevertheless, a worthwhile clarification, thanks.

A smooth "matte like" glossy. Currently it's my go to paper for color and the Baryta Photographique for B&W. Both using custom Cone ink sets. A custom color set(w/ selenium shades for the LK & LLK) and a split tone B&W set for B&W(obviously).
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

IWC Doppel

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:43 am »

I have printed a colour picture with a few prints to allow comparison, I chose a shot with good shadow detail, varied blues, some detail in the background etc. I have printed the same picture with the appropriate icc's, std downloads for HFA William Turner, Torchon, German Etching. custom icc's for HFAMuseum etching and Fotospeed Nat text Fine art.

Kind of obvious but I have noticed the tonal impact on colour of the warmer papers, adjusting papers into gamut is something I am only just starting to learn, so I am sure my adjustment of vibrant blues is not the best ! So far the Torchon is very good (Quite white) and I am still loving Museum Etching for it's combination of detail, texture and in this case light warmth in tone. The Fotospeed is also strong in this company but the paper warmth does show, perhaps too much

IWC Doppel

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:38:52 am »

I have printed one using exhibition fibre (traditional photo in the UK) and I just prefer the texture and depth from matt papers.

IWC Doppel

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »

I have ordered some fotospeed fine art natural textured bright white as I am very impressed by the natural paper with colour. I'll keep you posted as I explore more papers  :-X

IWC Doppel

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 03:01:03 am »

I have the smooth Matt packs from hahnemuhle, canson and fotospeed and have been experimenting. I have yet to try any canson. I also have photo paper packs from the same companies. I must also pick up a signature pack from epson.

Out of 10 or so from HFA and foto I am really impressed with the HFA photo rag, photo rag bw, and ultra smooth. The ultra smooth being top or second on a number of blind comparisons. Fotospeed bright whites are clearly second, but still impressive and the HSW is a fair attempt at the ultra smooth from HFA at a lot less money. I have used generic icc's so far and the same settings for each paper.

I will print some more, then obtain a number of third party opinions. My girlfriend chose the HFA ultra smooth as top as well.

hugowolf

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 01:59:59 pm »

I have the smooth Matt packs from hahnemuhle, canson and fotospeed and have been experimenting. I have yet to try any canson. I also have photo paper packs from the same companies. I must also pick up a signature pack from epson.

Out of 10 or so from HFA and foto I am really impressed with the HFA photo rag, photo rag bw, and ultra smooth. The ultra smooth being top or second on a number of blind comparisons. Fotospeed bright whites are clearly second, but still impressive and the HSW is a fair attempt at the ultra smooth from HFA at a lot less money. I have used generic icc's so far and the same settings for each paper.

I will print some more, then obtain a number of third party opinions. My girlfriend chose the HFA ultra smooth as top as well.
You should definately throw the Canson Rag Photographique into the mix too. It is between the Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 and the Ultra Smooth in smoothness, has no OBAs, and isn't as prone to curling as the Hahnemühle papers.

Brian A

IWC Doppel

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 03:08:52 pm »

Great, that is in my test pack, I'll give it a whirl
Pages: [1]   Go Up