Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Masked Buggy Driver  (Read 1171 times)

cjogo

Masked Buggy Driver
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:16 pm »

RIGA country side ...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Masked Buggy Driver
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »

That's scary. Halloween?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »

Probably a highwayman.

Fascinating picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:17:38 pm »

they are very Pagan in Latvia ...so for Halloween the goblins / etc  = are good people  / not scary... .   This man was picking up children and taking them rides through the forest > to find Halloween characters to see.

1/15 second exposure ---  barely froze the image
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:37:46 pm by cjogo »

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:13:47 pm »

1/15 second exposure ---  barely froze the image

My first reaction was "interesting" ... then the second was that the horse's head and right front leg seemed unsharp. And the third was that seemed acceptable since it did convey motion.

And some 2¢ worth of comments:
  • Overall, the lack of sharpness in the horse's head and leg comes back to bother me. The raised right front leg is more than enough to convey motion. Were you at max usable ISO?
  • It appears that you've got the lens stopped down at least some, as the nearest tree behind the driver and the leaves on the left side aren't all that much out of focus. Could you have opened up the aperture to get a faster shutter speed?
  • Perhaps have more image on the left side so horse appears to have something to "walk into"?
  • If you had the time and opportunity, I find myself wishing to see the scene with several children aboard. Now that would be eerie!
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

cjogo

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »

l_d_allan
Film was not faster than 320 ASA in these days >> at least not quality enough for me to use ...  

SO this shot  ::  a 60mm 4.0  lens ( 35mm ) this lens was stopped down to  5.6 @ maybe 15th >  and it was a candid >  I had no idea he was going to ride into this spot of the forest   >>   grab the camera and hope for the best.  I focused on the rider .. no way to freeze a oncoming horse > at that angle & speed  ..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:48:37 pm by cjogo »

francois

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:32:41 am »

That's scary. Halloween?

Yes, scary! If I come across such a thing in the wood, I would be worried…
FWIW, I like the image, the subject is original and interesting with many interpretations possible.
Francois

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:14:14 am »

Film was not faster than 320 ASA in these days >> at least not quality enough for me to use ...  
Now I'm curious when this photo was taken. My remarks were based on an assumption that it was a relatively recent photo taken with a relatively recent DSLR. My bad.  :-[

Back in the 70's, I had a Mamiya C33 TLR, and I would have never been able to capture an image like this.

SO this shot  ::  a 60mm 4.0  lens ( 35mm ) this lens was stopped down to  5.6 @ maybe 15th >  and it was a candid >  I had no idea he was going to ride into this spot of the forest   >>   grab the camera and hope for the best.  I focused on the rider .. no way to freeze a oncoming horse > at that angle & speed  ..

Wow, you are a lot more organized than I ever was ... to have kept reconds on exposure settings that you still have years later.

I do find myself wishing the EXIF info on submitted photos was readily available. Perhaps I don't know how to locate the EXIF?

I think my reaction to the photo, and then comments, would have been rather different if I'd been aware that the image was captured with film.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

cjogo

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:19:49 pm »

This photo was taken on my second trip to LATVIA  -- 1993  ... I kept records for each shot because  > I was using the ZONE system >> I had to change the 4 film backs for each shot :o  I also only shot about 4 different exposures  with 3 speeds of films back then -- one @ f16 /22 ( for max dof)    &  f4/5.6 if I need speed  ..  wasn't too many choices ... shutter speeds were many times longer than a minute.
Pages: [1]   Go Up