Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with profiling the MacBook 15" retina display  (Read 3097 times)

jsch

Experience with profiling the MacBook 15" retina display
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:10:34 am »

Hi,

has anyone experience with profiling the MacBook 15" retina display? I have an old iONE pro (bought in 2004) with Gretag Color Match software (3.6.2), which doesn't run under 10.8.2. I'm asking myself, what is the way to go. Buy something new?

Any help appreciated.
Best,
Johannes

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Experience with profiling the MacBook 15" retina display
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:29 am »

Get X-Rite i1Display Pro.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:49:05 am »

You're saying that the i1Display Pro hardware and the i1Profiler software will work to profile and calibrate the Retina display on the new (2013) 15" MacBook Pro, correct?

Thanks,

Stan

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:15:39 pm »

I use a 3-year old X-Rite Color Munki Photo on my 15" 2012 rMBP (MacBookPro10,1 running 10.8.3).  Works.  The rMBP gets very close to the calibrated NEC monitors, which is as good as I expect.

I'd _like_ an  i1Display Pro.   :)

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:57 pm »

Thanks, Kirby. It's amazing how much "other stuff requirements" are being generated by the rMBP purchase. Of course transitioning to USB 3 and TB are a big part of it.

Stan

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:51:29 pm »

Thanks, Kirby. It's amazing how much "other stuff requirements" are being generated by the rMBP purchase. Of course transitioning to USB 3 and TB are a big part of it.

Stan

:)  Better start saving for a "retina-density" large screen monitor.  I was showing a client some images on my (109 ppi) 27" wide-gamut display when she looked over at my rMBP (220 ppi), tilted her head, looked back to the big screen, looked back at the rMBP, looked at me and said, "Is the big one supposed to be fuzzy?".

Imho, the Retina display is a sea change.  It almost instantly re-calibrates everyone's expectation of what a screen display should look like.  I purchased the iPad because of the Retina display (I use it for my digital portfolio).  I knew within a hour of having the iPad that I would buy the first 15" Retina laptop Apple made.

In the meantime, I'm getting a deeper desk for holding my large monitor when clients visit.  Maybe a LumLander can advise me how deep it should be.  I have trouble understanding the relationship between ppi, apparent sharpness, and viewing distance (dots/viewing-angle?).

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:07 am »

In the spirit of the "big one not being so fuzzy," [ya gotta love that] have you seen any info on "retina density" larger displays? Do you anticipate anything from Eizo or NEC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up