Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205536 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2320 on: September 22, 2016, 06:03:02 am »

Thank you. That makes perfect sense and is a lovely job!

ccroft

« Reply #2321 on: September 22, 2016, 10:30:16 pm »

That's beautiful Chris. I've admired your work for several years. Your experience with chairs (Knoll?) is serving you well. Each one on it's own looks like a product shot.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2322 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:13 am »

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:35:31 pm by MichaelEzra »

Rob C

« Reply #2323 on: September 30, 2016, 08:45:41 am »

Not so recent professional work!

Auchendrain, Scotland. Barbour Calendar for 1975 shot 16th August '74 with available light (this image), Nikon F and 4/200 on HP3 or HP4. Model, Susan Shaw.

Eat your collective hearts out, Messrs Lindbergh and Feurer: you weren't doing anything new back then. Hey, still love you both!

Yes, even in those days one could sometimes shoot a seven-pager in a day... better over a fortnight, though.

Negative lost along with so much else... this is off the last-remaining original printer's proof sheet encapsulated in plastic; never thought of the problems that would cause trying to copy years later on; which is why the oblique angle and the copyboard incorporated. Oh well. Still lives on in memory.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:52:40 am by Rob C »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2324 on: September 30, 2016, 10:09:38 am »

If you live in the UK, the Kray twins will be well known to you. This was where Reggie ended up, Blunderstone Prison cell 116. No attempt on my part to make this "art" just record.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:12:56 am by KevinA »
Kevin.

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2325 on: September 30, 2016, 10:51:41 am »

Rob, so refreshing to see your stuff from the 70-s:)

Just made this one. What a character this little girl is:)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:01:09 am by MichaelEzra »

Rob C

« Reply #2326 on: September 30, 2016, 11:49:06 am »

If you live in the UK, the Kray twins will be well known to you. This was where Reggie ended up, Blunderstone Prison cell 116. No attempt on my part to make this "art" just record.

Lived there (Scotland, not official prison), on and of, until '81 so yeah, the names are familar. Not as familiar as they are to Bailey, who "couldn't refuse" shooting one of the brother's wedding, the second of only two Bailey ever did - or so I'm led to believe, which I do. Funny thing: when I first hung out the shingle I did anything that came along, weddings too. One day, standing on a rainy Glaswegian church staircase, awaiting the arrival of the poor girl about to trade her freedom, I had this vision of Bailey driving past slowly, smiling up at me up on those forsaken steps from his Rolls, and vanishing as he'd come.

I swore it would be the last wedding I ever shot, and it was. I decided to bet the ranch on my only passion at the time - fashion - and that's what I did. Fortunately, turned out I was able to keep the ranch. Such is the effect of the passing Damascene Moment; far more decisive for me than any of HC-B's.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #2327 on: September 30, 2016, 11:56:21 am »

Rob, so refreshing to see your stuff from the 70-s:)

Just made this one. What a character this little girl is:)

Thanks Michael, just goes to show there's not really much new, just the way the same old same old is glossed up or down. In the end, given the same model and her attendants, pretty much everybody beyond a given level of competence can do the same thing.

That shot of yours reminded me of an LP cover, but I can't for the life of me remember which. I hate it when that happens, which it does with increasing regularity!

Rob

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2328 on: September 30, 2016, 12:13:45 pm »

In the end, given the same model and her attendants, pretty much everybody beyond a given level of competence can do the same thing.

That probably goes for all art forms and anything we, humans, do. We've been taught to learn to repeat and then happen to try it as something new, as its never really is the same thing. Most times its not even worth repeating, but once in a while magic happens and it is new.

Ever thought of recreating this now with the same model and attendants?;)

Rob C

« Reply #2329 on: September 30, 2016, 12:53:43 pm »

That probably goes for all art forms and anything we, humans, do. We've been taught to learn to repeat and then happen to try it as something new, as its never really is the same thing. Most times its not even worth repeating, but once in a while magic happens and it is new.

Ever thought of recreating this now with the same model and attendants?;)

God, she's probably either dead or a grandmother! There were no 'attendants' in our shoot: just the two of us, the location, the car to get there, and one monobloc for the interiors with a shoulder-flash Metz for any fake backlighting! With Nikon synch. I couldn't even use the flash outdoors. I think it maxed out at a 1/60th sec. and using HP3/4 because of its grain didn't help that speed problem a whole heap!

But it was enjoyable and paid the bills!

Rob

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2330 on: September 30, 2016, 01:05:53 pm »

God, she's probably either dead or a grandmother!

That would really open a new dimension, though:) I try to re-shoot with my models when they are about to become moms and later on also; hopefully one day as (levitating) grandmas!:)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2331 on: October 02, 2016, 09:41:58 pm »

I don't typically photograph my subjects backlit, primarily because I suffered from that horrible disease people acquire once they start shooting digital.  You know, every possible detail must be captured with absolutely no clipping on either end, even if it means taking away all contrast, or you pathetically failed at producing the image. 

Of course, it has been a decent time since I cured myself of that, but just never got around to exploring this type of lighting.  I would like to do more of this exploration now. 

Shot this project at sunrise last week with my P45+, single capture.  Initially I framed it with the sun behind the tree, but about 60 seconds later, the sun moved into the image.  I'm glad I waited for it; it adds much to the image. 

(Of course another reason I never did this was because processing an image like this before C1 v8 was just not possible; it's amazing how much better Raw processing has become.  And yes, I could have did a layer burn and preserved all detail without any noise when viewing at 200%, but that would have killed it.) 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:45:16 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

DiamondsDr

« Reply #2332 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:42 am »

...here some from recent

Rob C

« Reply #2333 on: October 03, 2016, 06:45:12 am »

I don't typically photograph my subjects backlit, primarily because I suffered from that horrible disease people acquire once they start shooting digital.  You know, every possible detail must be captured with absolutely no clipping on either end, even if it means taking away all contrast, or you pathetically failed at producing the image. 

Of course, it has been a decent time since I cured myself of that, but just never got around to exploring this type of lighting.  I would like to do more of this exploration now. 

Shot this project at sunrise last week with my P45+, single capture.  Initially I framed it with the sun behind the tree, but about 60 seconds later, the sun moved into the image.  I'm glad I waited for it; it adds much to the image. 

(Of course another reason I never did this was because processing an image like this before C1 v8 was just not possible; it's amazing how much better Raw processing has become.  And yes, I could have did a layer burn and preserved all detail without any noise when viewing at 200%, but that would have killed it.)

Always liked backlighting, especially if you can find a model with floaty long hair!

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2334 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:14 am »

Auchendrain, Scotland. Barbour Calendar for 1975

I had a Barbour waxed cotton motorcycle jacket bought a few years after that. It lasted for many years, until one day a sleave tore off as I was taking it off its hanger. Probably as well I never crashed in it...

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2335 on: October 03, 2016, 07:56:50 am »

Hi Joe, when looking on the thumbnail, this image seemed quite ordinary at first, but opening it and seeing it in detail revealed the effect of the sun star. It really does add to the image, nice depth in lighting.

I noticed a wire hanging through a large portion of the frame. How much freedom is there in this field in taking the wires out?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2336 on: October 03, 2016, 08:51:07 am »

Hi Joe, when looking on the thumbnail, this image seemed quite ordinary at first, but opening it and seeing it in detail revealed the effect of the sun star. It really does add to the image, nice depth in lighting.

I noticed a wire hanging through a large portion of the frame. How much freedom is there in this field in taking the wires out?

That project was at a country club and that wire is holding up a black net blocking the trail from any golf balls flying out of the 18th hole.  In this web sized version, it is hard to tell it is there.  Actually, there appears to be parts of the roof lit up by the sun on the left, which is impossible, however it is actually the net catching the light. 

In the full res version, you can zoom in and see the net clearly, so removing the wire will probably not look right. 

I do admit though, in the smaller version, it is annoying. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2337 on: October 03, 2016, 10:11:42 am »

My kind of vacation house! 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2338 on: October 03, 2016, 10:12:56 am »

And, of course, you can't forget the pool.  (Yet another backlit shot, however this was more due to circumstance and position then artistic desire.) 

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2339 on: October 05, 2016, 05:42:46 pm »

Joe, how do you find these places:)!

Here is image just a few hours old

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 147   Go Up