Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1206792 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2120 on: May 18, 2016, 03:04:56 am »

Dear Sir,

Your comment is really appreciated!

Best regards
Erik
Good for you.

When everybody does the same...
Erik Kaffehr

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2121 on: May 18, 2016, 03:09:29 am »

Hey Michael,

I can definitely see how after so many smooth nudes, you'd want to push the grittiness to 11. :)

I appreciate the thought you have put into the shoot and the description you have given as a response to my post. Keep up the good work!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2122 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:37 pm »

This is a little bts video I shot for my friend Sarp as he was making art.  His first one man show opens this Friday at the Carl Hammer Gallery here in Chicago.  Come check it out if you're local or happen to be in Chitown.

https://goo.gl/xRn26d

Uh, there are images of MF camera in the video.  Shot on Red and A7r2 (mostly the Sony).

CB

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2123 on: May 27, 2016, 06:36:33 pm »

Taking a moment between the formal shots to find little treasures... A7r2 handheld with the 28mm Summicrom-M at ISO 400.  Just having fun.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2124 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:14 pm »

Bam! 

All shot on my RM3Di with an IQ260. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2125 on: June 06, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »

Here's another.  Not sure which one I prefer though. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2126 on: June 06, 2016, 02:45:37 pm »

Here's another.  Not sure which one I prefer though. 

Oh, I can help you with that: definitely Boy #2  :)

Boy #1 has an awkward, distracting highlight just under his right eye; his hand is covering the content of the glass (I assume the main subject of the shoot was the drink?); too much attention to his watch, shirt, and face; his posing is obvious. If the shoot was all about the boy, then maybe.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2127 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »

Oh, I can help you with that: definitely Boy #2  :)

Boy #1 has an awkward, distracting highlight just under his right eye; his hand is covering the content of the glass (I assume the main subject of the shoot was the drink?); too much attention to his watch, shirt, and face; his posing is obvious. If the shoot was all about the boy, then maybe.

Good observation, I think you're right on this. 

James Clark

« Reply #2128 on: June 06, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »

Nice shots, but I can't help thinking that it's "Suntory Time!"  ;)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2129 on: June 06, 2016, 08:53:33 pm »

Nice shots, but I can't help thinking that it's "Suntory Time!"  ;)

Thanks, although that is not what I was going for. 

I hoping for some more critiques.  I kind of think they're successful ... for the first time doing lifestyle.  Can't help but think I need to learn to work better with models. 

Had a long conversation with a lifestyle photographer today and he said they look good, but they look like they were shot by a still life shooter, not a lifestyle shooter.  They need to look like they were shot by a lifestyle shooter. 

If I was not so busy with paid work, I would be planning another.  End of July is usually slow though. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2130 on: June 06, 2016, 09:06:15 pm »

I think  the first shot (bottle) works rather well. At first, I thought it must be an awful case of perspective distortion, but then I realized that is the native shape of the bottle. Perhaps a bit more space on the right of it? I assumed you illuminated it from behind and it looks great in that setting. A little less so in the Lifestyle shot, where the same luminescence looks a bit weird.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2131 on: June 06, 2016, 09:16:14 pm »

I think  the first shot (bottle) works rather well. At first, I thought it must be an awful case of perspective distortion, but then I realized that is the native shape of the bottle. Perhaps a bit more space on the right of it? I assumed you illuminated it from behind and it looks great in that setting. A little less so in the Lifestyle shot, where the same luminescence looks a bit weird.

For the first, I used the Rodie 55mm (about a 38mm in a full frame 35mm), which was definitely not the lens I preferred.  I would have rather used my 90mm, but the layout of the bar dictated otherwise.  So, that is the shape of the bottle but it is exaggerated a bit from the lens. 

I am going tone down the brightness in the lifestyle shot; it does look weird, which is how the other photographer described it too.  I guess I needed it pointed out to me.  I will probably brighten her face too. 

Overall, the guy was great to work with, however the girl was not as strong of a model.  I have other takes of the second image and may look though them again to find a more natural pose from her. 

James Clark

« Reply #2132 on: June 06, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »

Thanks, although that is not what I was going for. 

I hoping for some more critiques.  I kind of think they're successful ... for the first time doing lifestyle.  Can't help but think I need to learn to work better with models. 

Had a long conversation with a lifestyle photographer today and he said they look good, but they look like they were shot by a still life shooter, not a lifestyle shooter.  They need to look like they were shot by a lifestyle shooter. 

If I was not so busy with paid work, I would be planning another.  End of July is usually slow though.

Apologies (sincerely).  I wasn't poking fun at you or your work.  Just commenting that I was reminded of the scene of the movie just by virtue of the subject.   I don't have the background to comment on the quality of the work from a professional standpoint so I probably should have just kept quiet.  About all I could offer is that from looking at magazines from a consumer perspective, these shots look a bit sterile - they could use a little warmth and life, if that makes any sense?  I will say that I quite like the first one (the bottle shot) but with regard to the rest, I'm wondering if the tech setup was hampering you, as I would expect that lifestyle might be shot more spontaneously and "loose?"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:58:50 pm by James Clark »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2133 on: June 06, 2016, 10:15:42 pm »

Apologies (sincerely).  I wasn't poking fun at you or your work.  Just commenting that I was reminded of the scene of the movie just by virtue of the subject.   I don't have the background to comment on the quality of the work from a professional standpoint so I probably should have just kept quiet.  About all I could offer is that from looking at magazines from a consumer perspective, these shots look a bit sterile - they could use a little warmth and life, if that makes any sense?  I will say that I quite like the first one (the bottle shot) but with regard to the rest, I'm wondering if the tech setup was hampering you, as I would expect that lifestyle might be shot more spontaneously and "loose?"

Don't worry about it; I thought the comment was kind of funny.  I like that movie. 

Yes, the tech setup maybe hampered me, but I also feel the female model had a bit to do with it too.  However, my lacking in how to handle that should be the real reason, not necessarily the model; that is how an art director would look at it at least. 

I would like to pursue this with my tech setup, however I may venture onto shooting handheld at some point (lord have a mercy on me please  ;D). 

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2134 on: June 06, 2016, 10:24:05 pm »

Joe, I think the first one is exceptional but the rest just don't do it for me.  I believe your architectural history is holding you back.  The compositions feel diluted in an attempt to hold onto architectural elements that aren't really adding to the story and I think you could have gone softer with the focus to accentuate the mood.  I dig most of the lighting, tho.

I took one, cropped and faked some soft focus to illustrate my points.

IMHO,
CB

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2135 on: June 07, 2016, 03:22:20 am »

Hey Joe,

Technically, the shots are perfect. BUt as the others said, the models look somewhat rigid and stoic. They should feel at ease and naturally fall into the composition than being posed for it.

One issue I can think of is that you're shooting with a technical camera, which means every shot has to be set up quite extensively and you cannot do more freeform shooting as with an SLR body. maybe next time, try it with an XF/ DF+ and do small bursts of 3-4 shots as you talk the models through how you want them to pose.

Rob C

« Reply #2136 on: June 07, 2016, 04:24:24 am »

Hey Joe,

Technically, the shots are perfect. BUt as the others said, the models look somewhat rigid and stoic. They should feel at ease and naturally fall into the composition than being posed for it.

One issue I can think of is that you're shooting with a technical camera, which means every shot has to be set up quite extensively and you cannot do more freeform shooting as with an SLR body. maybe next time, try it with an XF/ DF+ and do small bursts of 3-4 shots as you talk the models through how you want them to pose.

Camera is very important. When I was still working I used either of two types: 500C/M or Nikon. The difference in mindset (mine) using those apparently similar cameras was very real. For a start, the 'blad was always tied to a tripod (the kiss of death for me) whereas the Nikon, even if it had to be on a tripod sometimes - such as with a 135mm lens or longer - was my choice of body: it was quick, gave a more uninterrupted flow of shots and got in the way a lot less than the bulkier body did.

Models respond very much to the photographer. If you find yourself having to stop, shift heavy equipment around, it kills off their enthusiasm too, an enthusiasm that you usually have to ignite in the first place: their take on photography is not the same as the photographer's.

It's funny, but some clients also react to cameras. I had one lady client for whom I did interesting high-profile work; she once said to me in the middle of a shoot: "Rob, I like it better when you use your small camera; you jump around a lot more and it looks much better!" What she was really thinking, I imagine, is that she meant that the work going down seemed more alive when I was off tripod, and the model responded better, making Mrs Client feel more confident that she was bringing home a better product. It's easy to forget that even clients have to answer to somebody else - more often than not.

I always end up coming back to this belief: you can overwork anything, and digital capture and processing has simply made it too easy for people to fall into that trap and produce immaculate sterility.

Models. I believe that it's different today, that even the very top of the photographic icing can no longer work exclusively with the models he/she wants to use. In my day, up until say the mid to late 80s, they and even I, could. Does it matter? Isn't one top chick as good as the next? Maybe, but she's not your top chick. Using somebody you know, from experience, will give you what makes you look good, is why famous guys down the ages have mostly been associated very strongly with pretty much just one girl. Yes, the bedroom may come into it, but that's secondary. Very secondary: the images are what count the most, and the unspoken understanding, the silent language between the two people is why it works. Technique gets you so far; soul and love take it to the next level. Somehow, if the chemistry works, even a less than spectacular girl can shine in your pictures.

Rob

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2137 on: June 07, 2016, 05:27:26 am »

I agree 100% with Rob.

I remember a girl I used to work with back in Singapore. Quite average looking, but we worked really well together and the shots I got with her were almost always quite good.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2138 on: June 07, 2016, 07:18:53 am »

All makes sense and thanks for the response.  At the end of the day, I kind of feel with the 2nd one I was paying too much attention to the architectural elements, albeit I would like to keep that part of the images I produce. 

CB, the lifestyle shooter I mention cropped that image in the same fashion.  The added softness really makes the crop work. 

P.S.

After a little more thought, I feel the boy alone works well and I will be editing it a little more. 

The problem with the shot with the two models is I tried to make the bottle a main part of the image too, instead of just focusing on the models.   In hindsight, I feel the main product shot works very well and I should have moved onto the lifestyle shoot with the mindset that "I already got the bottle, so lets get to something else." 

As someone else told me this morning, "you don't got to a bar for a bottle (and the interior), you go to a bar to fall in love."

I am going to rework that image and crop it to try and make it work with the other two.  After that, time to start planning the next one, which I plan on making a non-branded project and should damped my focus on the product so much. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:23:25 pm by JoeKitchen »

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2139 on: June 07, 2016, 08:57:22 am »

Joe, good stuff, this must have been a fun shoot also:)

Here is something I just made recently: http://photovertex.com/clients/Realestate/Salmon/NYSI_142LNG.html
This is a virtual tour of a quite unusual house where still photography would just not help making sense on how it is all connected. Just making it was an interesting experience, but one can go nuts linking all the views as shown on the tour map below.
Unfortunately the front shot still image is rendered with lots of distortion... a single frame that had to be placed into the 360 view, so a distortion of the spherical projection had to be emulated, quite imperfectly. Much better, apparently, is to shoot a full 360 view and then crop.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:19:43 am by MichaelEzra »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 147   Go Up