Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205521 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2080 on: April 23, 2016, 02:39:34 pm »

@JoeKitchen;

Very interesting, are these the final intended crops?
I'm just wondering whether you wanted to crop the sofa in the first shot the way you did or if you were forced to by circumstances :)

These are the final crops.  Those normal shaped couches just at the bottom were not part of the design nor were they selected by my client.  The school added them for the cafe just to the right and out of frame.  So, I choose to not really show them. 

More important however are the hanging lights, glass curtain and the rooms which face the atrium.  When I shot this, I did not have the camera in plane with the ceiling tiles since the 4th ring of the lights to the left (now cropped out) started to look pretty odd.  However, when I got back in studio, I wish I had corrected it, because it really bugged me.  So I corrected it in post, which forced me to crop the image to a 4x5 ratio. 

I may try and do it over and digitally recreate the ceiling so the 4th ring can stay in the picture. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:59:21 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2081 on: April 23, 2016, 05:44:36 pm »

Joe

The explanation is appreciated.
To my eye you have corrected the verticals to 100%, C1 defaults to, is it 80%, as it appears more natural, it is said. Could you comment?
BTW looks great as it is I just wondered if you had gone to the default then decided to take it to 100%, if you did, it may be my eye, I'm a pain to myself on horizontals never mind verticals it's why I haven't bought a camera with movements I'd never take the shot.

BTW I agree with you, such a shame you didn't have an 810 to hand just making do instead  ;)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2082 on: April 23, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »

I would suspect that Joe didn't correct the verticals at all, just the "horizon."  Pro Arch shooters typically always level their cameras to produce vertical elements that are parallel to the edges of the composition.  While many other shooters may follow the 80% default on keystoning for a perceived natural look, that approach is pretty much unused by professional architectural shooters, especially for interiors.

CB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2083 on: April 23, 2016, 08:10:30 pm »

CB is right, the verticals where corrected in camera with shift.  I also shoot all of my still life and beverage with my tech camera and use shift and tilt/swing is every single image there, even if it does not look like it. 

Now, I do usually fine tune the images using the tools in C1 just to make everything perfect, but I never use C1 to do any major fixes.  This is because C1 assumes the center of the image circle of the lens is the center of the image, as does Photoshop, so the corrections are applied equally the same depending on the distance from the center.  If the image had been shifted in camera though, this correction does not apply an accurate fix. 

In this image, you can imagine the lines at the top need to be skewed more then the lines at the bottom, due to shift.  So to accomplish this, I will create a file that is 36x48 inches (4 times the size of my P45+ files) and layer/position the image so the IC center is dead center the image file.  After this, I can use the PS tool to correct the perspective and get an accurate correction.

I would like to note that I very rarely ever do this and almost always correct everything in camera.  Here, I thought, the ceiling tiles would not be a big deal, but, in studio when I had more time to think, I felt I was wrong.  Also, this is the very last step.  If I need to layer something else in, I will do so with the uncorrected file and correct it again.  Since it is not a very precise method, it is impossible to correct an image to exactly match and line up. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:16:14 pm by JoeKitchen »

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #2084 on: April 24, 2016, 12:21:57 am »

Now, I do usually fine tune the images using the tools in C1 just to make everything perfect, but I never use C1 to do any major fixes.  This is because C1 assumes the center of the image circle of the lens is the center of the image, as does Photoshop, so the corrections are applied equally the same depending on the distance from the center.  If the image had been shifted in camera though, this correction does not apply an accurate fix.

Joe, check out the Lens tab => Lens Correction => Movement tab
You can specify XY lens shifts which moves the center for CA, distortion, sharpness falloff, and light falloff.  I gather it's an implementation of the Alpa lens correction plugin in C1.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2085 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:03 am »

Joe and CB
Many thanks for the insights, as you say the skill is using tilt and shift so the viewer doesn't "see" it. I'll pull my copy of Stroebel View Camera Technique off the shelf, again.
I didn't realise the extra size required to correct was so large although when I have tried simple keystone corrections myself the image area "loss" has always been a shock when I thought I had left enough to play with. I did once keystone correct back in the film days and ended up with so much baseboard tilt I ran into exposure problems across the image, steps would have been easier on the shoot.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2086 on: April 24, 2016, 11:36:28 am »

Joe, check out the Lens tab => Lens Correction => Movement tab
You can specify XY lens shifts which moves the center for CA, distortion, sharpness falloff, and light falloff.  I gather it's an implementation of the Alpa lens correction plugin in C1.

Hot Damn!  That is exactly what that does! 

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2087 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:46 am »

Thank you, Erik.

...and Joe, very nice shots, I especially like the first one.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #2088 on: April 25, 2016, 01:10:34 pm »

Hi Joe,

Nice images!  Were they made with the SK35?

Cheers
A

Shot these with my completely out dated and 100% obsolete P45+ that does not provide nearly enough DR and high ISO capabilities.  Thank God my clients don't know that!   ;)

More to come later on; I'll be editing these all weekend.  Now, though, off to the pool for 100 laps or so.   8)
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #2089 on: April 26, 2016, 03:59:32 am »

I would suspect that Joe didn't correct the verticals at all, just the "horizon."  Pro Arch shooters typically always level their cameras to produce vertical elements that are parallel to the edges of the composition.  While many other shooters may follow the 80% default on keystoning for a perceived natural look, that approach is pretty much unused by professional architectural shooters, especially for interiors.

CB

The examples given by Phase One to illustrate the 80% reasoning are exterior shots of buildings from ground level. Commenting as someone who is not an architectural photographer or architect and who admires Joe's and Chris's work, I find that as a viewer and also on the small number of occasions I have shot buildings using shift, some exterior images of tall buildings from ground level with 100% correction can look unnatural to me, especially where a corner is dominant. With interiors I do always expect to see verticals completely parallel.

Harold Clark

« Reply #2090 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17:14 am »

The examples given by Phase One to illustrate the 80% reasoning are exterior shots of buildings from ground level. Commenting as someone who is not an architectural photographer or architect and who admires Joe's and Chris's work, I find that as a viewer and also on the small number of occasions I have shot buildings using shift, some exterior images of tall buildings from ground level with 100% correction can look unnatural to me, especially where a corner is dominant. With interiors I do always expect to see verticals completely parallel.

If my foggy memory serves me correctly, a book published by Sinar during 4x5 and 8x10 days, recommended that building tops up to 20 degrees above the horizon should be fully corrected. Buildings taller than that may benefit from a small amount of under correction. I have found this to be true in practice, tall buildings shot from a close distance often look top heavy when fully corrected.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #2091 on: April 26, 2016, 11:57:58 am »

I think the 80/100% correction on tall buildings is a style/audience thing.  Correcting to 100% to me is a stylistic connection to traditional constructed perspective illustrations, where it's much easier to draw with parallel verticals. 

Stereotyping for a bit:
If your audience is older architects, they probably have a good amount of indoctrination under this legacy type of illustration (less so with kids these days).  Normal people usually think it looks off, whether they name it professional, formal, serious, strange or whatever.  Architects may feel under-corrected verticals look a little casual. 

So, use it as a tool to manipulate feelings from your particular audience.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2092 on: April 27, 2016, 11:40:15 am »

Thanks guys, and they were all shot with the SK 35mm, another out dated piece of equipment that can't even carry the jock strap of our "modern" lenses.  Thankfully I keep on finding clients who don't care. 

Here are some more.  (Made a cameo in the first one.) 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2093 on: April 27, 2016, 11:49:50 am »

Shot these recently too.  I prefer the first one.  The client really wanted a more overall shot as well though. 

The third is a image we captured of one of the theatres.  They could not project an image onto the screen when we where shooting, only this odd graphic that is used for focusing, so we dropped one in later on.  I know it does not look like the edges should be straight, but the lines on the graphic were perfectly straight, so it is how it is suppose to look. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:08:33 pm by JoeKitchen »

pearlstreet

« Reply #2094 on: April 28, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »

Joe, you did a nice job on the set with the slanted rings hanging from the ceiling. That place has so many angles, curves, etc. I think you did a great job making it all work in a natural way.

The classroom shot I like better zoomed in to lose most of the ceiling, but that's just me.

Really nice work on these..

Sharon

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2095 on: May 01, 2016, 04:18:59 pm »

A pre-wedding shoot I did. The wedding theme is "Blue".

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #2096 on: May 01, 2016, 04:34:42 pm »

Really nice, Synn...

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2097 on: May 02, 2016, 03:00:45 am »

Thank you, Jeff!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2098 on: May 02, 2016, 03:09:11 am »

Gut gemacht!

Erik

A pre-wedding shoot I did. The wedding theme is "Blue".

Erik Kaffehr

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #2099 on: May 02, 2016, 03:17:47 am »

Danke sehr, Erik!
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 147   Go Up