Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1206250 times)

minicoop1985

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2000 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:34 am »

This is a portfolio shot to show a potential client. Mamiya 645AFD, Leaf Aptus 22, 80mm f2.8.

The Pen is Mightier 2 by Michael Long, on Flickr
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2001 on: February 05, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »

Nice!

Erik

This is a portfolio shot to show a potential client. Mamiya 645AFD, Leaf Aptus 22, 80mm f2.8.

The Pen is Mightier 2 by Michael Long, on Flickr
Erik Kaffehr

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2002 on: February 09, 2016, 11:01:46 am »

Sometimes you got to turn up the heat! 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2003 on: February 10, 2016, 12:04:42 am »

Joe, the heat is on:)
I am curious, is this a real flame or rendered? Looks real.

Kaypee

« Reply #2004 on: February 10, 2016, 05:17:24 am »

Arsenal Emirates Football Stadium and adjoining apartments.
Canon 1D X 35mmL f1.4

Nice. Drone or helicopter?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2005 on: February 10, 2016, 06:34:09 am »

Joe, the heat is on:)
I am curious, is this a real flame or rendered? Looks real.

C'mon, this ain't AAA baseball, this is the major leagues.  Of course it's real.   ;)

Actually been waiting for a nice relatively warm day with no wind to shoot this for a while.  This past Sunday was perfect. 

BTW, aside from needing to be outside and shooting after it got dark, the fire was real easy; it's just rubber cement spread on a 2x3 wall stud and lit up.  The planning, pre-production, setup and lighting took the better part of the day though. 

Blog post coming later today discussing the concept and production. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:49:19 pm by JoeKitchen »

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2006 on: February 10, 2016, 09:40:34 am »

I know that trick, but it only works so well.  I did that with the Black and Tan shot, but still got movement in the stream. 

Now I liked the effect, especially the tiny light streaks from the carbonation being lit up.  I do plan on experimenting with something moving a lot faster, but not so sure about how it will work. 

Honestly, if I could have, in the black and tan pour, I would had used Pro-8s for all of the lights but the one backlighting the stream.  That way, I could have frozen the bubbles on the glass to be tact sharp but kept motion in the stream. 

I would love to experiment with motion, mixing different flash systems with different flash durations together.

Joe to really get close to stopping that type of motion the Profotos will not generally get you there. Almost all the high speed commercial stuff is done with Bron Scoros. Even then to get the speed up you are very down on the power and the main light of choice is two large Scoros packs into a bi-tube head. Should not blow your house power as you will be very low on the power. Even then you will be depth of field challenged.

Some people prefer not to use triggers. I prefer having some sort of control, or maybe my hand eye co-ordination is just not as sharp so I use one. There are a few lower cost versions out now compared to the tried and true Kapture Group kit. Run properly with the right kit you can shoot high speed stop motion with the set lights on instead of pitch dark, which is so nice.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2007 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:23 am »

As promised, "Bring On The Heat!"

Thanks Brent for the tips. 

I kind of thought a twin head for the main key light would be required.  I also was looking at the Kapture Group laser triggers, and they look pretty nice.  (Well, they sound like they work pretty nice, the cosmetic design though ...)

BronColors huh?  I am kind of a Profoto guy though. 

I just checked out the specs on both systems.  It seems the Profoto's are twice as fast at full power, but the BronColor's are (or may be) 40% faster at low power.  (I can't figure out what they mean by "1/10,000s|1/14,000s" at low power.  I assume there is some variance at that speed; the Profoto's just say 1/10,000s at low.) 

BobDavid

« Reply #2008 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:39 pm »

To date Joe, "Bring on the Heat" is your best tabletop photo. Nice separation between subject and OOF background, great color, nice lighting. Most of all, the set is simple--no extraneous props.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2009 on: February 10, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »

Which kind of acid did you use for the back label? By the way, spectacular work as always!
Instagram (updated often)

JoeKitchen

Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2010 on: February 10, 2016, 01:09:00 pm »

Which kind of acid did you use for the back label? By the way, spectacular work as always!

Thanks! 

Nothing too bad.  I used CLR, which is a fairly strong, but safer, acidic cleaning solution you can find at most hardware stores.  The label literally wiped right off.  I had to be careful not to get it on the front or wax though. 

That was about the 4th thing I tried.  If that did not work, I would have broke out the sulfuric acid I have left over from my darkroom printing days, but that is something I like to avoid using. 

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2011 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:13 pm »

As promised, "Bring On The Heat!"

Thanks Brent for the tips. 

I kind of thought a twin head for the main key light would be required.  I also was looking at the Kapture Group laser triggers, and they look pretty nice.  (Well, they sound like they work pretty nice, the cosmetic design though ...)

BronColors huh?  I am kind of a Profoto guy though. 

I just checked out the specs on both systems.  It seems the Profoto's are twice as fast at full power, but the BronColor's are (or may be) 40% faster at low power.  (I can't figure out what they mean by "1/10,000s|1/14,000s" at low power.  I assume there is some variance at that speed; the Profoto's just say 1/10,000s at low.)

Joe:

If using flash I use and own Profoto for everything, but high speed. Then I use Bron.  Surprisingly for a special high speed pack the Scoros is slow as %^&%$# at full power. At full power Scoros 3200J duration is like 1/400th vs Pro8 2400ws at 1/1600th.   

Not all flash specs are created the same. Profoto specs are based on t0.5. Bron now shows both t0.1 and t0.5. The double set of duration numbers shows the difference between the t0.5 and t0.1. Bron shows both specs because others like Profoto use t0.5 to look fast. But there is a big real world difference. 

Bron is also the only one you can actually button control the duration. It self adjusts the power output to get the duration set. At 1/ 10 000th you are at about 100 was I think. So a lot of times one is trying to get the slowest duration that works for the shot with as much power as possible.

I have the Kapture Group sound & laser kit. Old design from 20 yrs ago, but it works. The Pocket Wizard pre-trip shutter cable that I also use are $100.00 jokes. I keep 3 on hand all the time.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2012 on: February 10, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »

Joe:

If using flash I use and own Profoto for everything, but high speed. Then I use Bron.  Surprisingly for a special high speed pack the Scoros is slow as %^&%$# at full power. At full power Scoros 3200J duration is like 1/400th vs Pro8 2400ws at 1/1600th.   

Not all flash specs are created the same. Profoto specs are based on t0.5. Bron now shows both t0.1 and t0.5. The double set of duration numbers shows the difference between the t0.5 and t0.1. Bron shows both specs because others like Profoto use t0.5 to look fast. But there is a big real world difference. 

Bron is also the only one you can actually button control the duration. It self adjusts the power output to get the duration set. At 1/ 10 000th you are at about 100 was I think. So a lot of times one is trying to get the slowest duration that works for the shot with as much power as possible.

I have the Kapture Group sound & laser kit. Old design from 20 yrs ago, but it works. The Pocket Wizard pre-trip shutter cable that I also use are $100.00 jokes. I keep 3 on hand all the time.

Good information.  I was not aware of the spec listings.  Also, being able to dial in the duration is a pretty nice feature. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:56:30 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2013 on: February 10, 2016, 06:56:09 pm »

To date Joe, "Bring on the Heat" is your best tabletop photo. Nice separation between subject and OOF background, great color, nice lighting. Most of all, the set is simple--no extraneous props.

Thanks Bob. 

It's funny, in the digital realm I rarely see my images printed large like I did with film.  I recently, like Monday, printed a new 11x14 still life portfolio and used a portrait style binder. 

I did not realize how far removed I am from seeing images big until I printed this one as a full spread.  On screen, it's very nice, printed at 14x22 though, it dominates! 

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #2014 on: February 11, 2016, 05:50:30 pm »

what lens did you use for these?

Joe, like the 2nd and 4th. Your getting a lot better at this.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Rob C

« Reply #2015 on: February 14, 2016, 04:39:38 pm »

Okay, professional, in that I shot the delectable ex-Mrs Rick Wakeman, Nina Carter (on Ektachrome 64 with my 500 CM and 150mm Sonnar), for a calendar. After that, and in its current incarnation, pro is stretching it a bit...

But hey, a man's gotta live, and you're a forgiving lot! I hope.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2016 on: February 14, 2016, 08:27:22 pm »

You'll always be a pro to me, Rob.

Unless, of course, you find a way to unlearn all that you learned when you were still earning money from photography.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2017 on: February 15, 2016, 09:15:26 am »

You'll always be a pro to me, Rob.

Unless, of course, you find a way to unlearn all that you learned when you were still earning money from photography.

-Eric

Touching, Eric, but do you know a way to knock sense into Amazon?

I've been hanging on waiting for a package for ages, and the tracking system tells me it's been delivered! But that ain't so!

Rob

P.S.

Complaint cancelled: Amazon notification was, in fact, correct! The problem lay in the local post office, along with my transceivers.

Amazon, I love you again!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:32:49 am by Rob C »

leeonmaui

« Reply #2018 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:07 am »

A new release from my 2012 trip to Patagonia

leeonmaui

« Reply #2019 on: February 21, 2016, 04:40:00 am »

Aloha,
other than a pretty tough blown out white light, I'm pretty happy with this.
New York in Amber, new release!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 147   Go Up