Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205487 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1660 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:24 pm »

Cool project we just shot in DC... all on the A7r on the view camera

CB

Very nice. 

On the 3rd and 5th images, did you use a view camera lens or a 35mm lens?  I ask because the acutance looks off. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1661 on: March 05, 2015, 01:07:21 pm »

Hi Phil, I'm not a very good chef, for to be cooking in that house deserve a good chef, just imagine Sunday morning breakfast and your yacht waiting for you to ride.
Yeah the sun come from the right side of that living room. I filled with 5 flashes most of then through the glasses.
The very tinted glasses made me work a lot, they gave me Cyan colors all over. For thew ones I use inside I had to filter them to compensate. Still I did't have the appropriate gels to match the exact coloration so I end up doing Photoshop work.
This one I would have like to have the Yacht removed out of frame but the timing went wrong, they did not have captain for that day. I think that the architect never thought they would have it there the shooting day.
Oops there you go, things go wrong.
Any ways I don't look so bad..

For this one I think I didn't perform my best. There were so many options, the yacht was park the opposite direction, I could have played more with lights...opinions please..

Very very cool house, love the images.  That door is amazing.  Makes me wish folks in the NE would allow their architects to be so daring with the design.  

And the boat looks great too.  At first, I did not even notice it; over exposing it slightly really keeps it from taking over the image.  

JoeKitchen

Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1662 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »

What's the name of the hotel? "Nightmare Courtyard"?  ;)

:D  Very close, "Night New York."

Here's a couple more.  They told me bright and inviting but to keep with the character of the design, so I keep on going back and forth on whether these are bright enough, or too bright, or are the blacks reading as blacks.  And I just tried printing one; getting the contrast right on paper is kind of interesting.  

Ken R

« Reply #1663 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »

Here's a couple more.  They told me bright and inviting but to keep with the character of the design, so I keep on going back and forth on whether these are bright enough, or too bright, or are the blacks reading as blacks.  And I just tried printing one; getting the contrast right on paper is kind of interesting.  

I like what you did with these (and the previous ones you posted). The lighting is spot on and the compositions are really nice. The only thing I wish for is a bit more angle of coverage or wider angle lens. This is one instance where a 14mm (35mm equiv.) lens is a must and where the new Canon 11-24mm lens seems tempting. The room reminds me more of what one would find in a Yacht. Very challenging to photograph. The processing you did is also spot on. I am sure the client is happy. Good stuff.

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #1664 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:49 pm »

My guessing , this was a real challenge. In the first post you made of this set a few days ago, I noticed a variation of lightness on the bed sheets, here they seem to be smooth out.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #1665 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:25 pm »

Joe, they were both with view camera lenses.  Sharpness issues are likely from a 1-step downsize from 7800px to 1500px.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1666 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:16 pm »

Chris, I deeply admire your work, which I follow for a lot of years and find it outstanding.
But if you ask about the site, I have some observations, if you don't mind:
For a 2015 site, the pictures are too small on an iMac (and I don't watch them on a retina display). Also on a phone or on an iPad I would prefer bigger size pictures.
A good example of a well designed site is this: http://julianabrams.co.uk Very good programming and very responsive, on whatever kind of device. Responsiveness, navigation and so on.
I'm not talking about Julian Abrams' work, which is also top class, but FWIW, I like your work even more.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate the multi-device review!  I'm kind of curious, though, as the images nearly fill my screen on iDevices.  Comparison with Julian's attached.  (I agree, his work and site are excellent).  Weird thing is, on my MacBook Pro Retina, the portfolio images nearly fill my screen, but on my 30" monitor on the PC editing station they do feel small.  I'm looking into this, as impactful images was a big push with the redesign and the reasoning behind the fullscreen homepage.

Cheers,
CB

EDIT:  Simple fix, (I think) check your iMac again. 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:26:35 pm by Chris Barrett »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1667 on: March 05, 2015, 02:07:10 pm »

My guessing , this was a real challenge. In the first post you made of this set a few days ago, I noticed a variation of lightness on the bed sheets, here they seem to be smooth out.

I believe you are talking about the shadow of the window from a light I placed outside.  On location, I kind of liked it, however now that you phrase it like that, I may "smooth" that out a little too. 

Funny thing is, these guest rooms were the easy part; soon I will probably be going back to shoot the common areas, which are even more black.  The restaurant is totally black; like everything is the restaurant is black.  When I scouted it, I was snapping off scout shots with a 5DII set at ISO H2 wide open at a 30th, and the images where still almost completely black. 

They painted the entire outside of the building black as well and want a dusk shot of it.  We have not discussed this image since we started to price out the project, but at the time I could not get them to understand why I would need to get a permit and spend the time to light the building exterior. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1668 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »

For a 2015 site, the pictures are too small on an iMac..

I am watching them on my 27" iMac and they are full-screen. Not sure what you mean then by "too small"?

EDIT: Ah, I see what you mean, once you click on the portfolio section. But still, I think the size very nicely balances with the overall design of the page and doesn't feel "small," let alone "too small."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:16:13 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1669 on: March 05, 2015, 02:15:21 pm »

I am watching them on my 27" iMac and they are full-screen. Not sure what you mean then by "too small"?

If you do not expand your browser to being the full size of your screen, then the images appear small due to the side bar taking up a predetermined width in the website design.  I assume this is what he meant. 

I prefer to only allow my browser to take up 2/3 of my screen so I can keep an eye on other programs I may have open already.  Working this way, the images do seem small. 

Manoli

« Reply #1670 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21:52 pm »

... Weird thing is, on my MacBook Pro Retina, the portfolio images nearly fill my screen, but on my 30" monitor on the PC editing station they do feel small.  I'm looking into this, as impactful images was a big push with the redesign and the reasoning behind the fullscreen homepage.

Just to butt in here ...

I'm looking at Chris' site on a 27" Cinema display ( not full screen) and no, I don't feel the images are too small. More a comfortable size and much prefer the click-to-enlarge behaviour.  Also the scrolling behaviour (text&images) flows really well, IMO. Reviewing the blog posts by flicking up and down pages with an trackpad combined with the RHS archive works exceptionally well. Julian's site is impressive but Chris' redesign , to me, seems a huge improvement.  Content rules but flow and aesthetics help ...

Great redesign , Chris, congrats !

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1671 on: March 05, 2015, 02:22:11 pm »

... Working this way, the images do seem small. 

Well, I'd use a different word to describe them, elegant (i.e., images + page design), but I see what you mean.

On the other hand, aren't we always concerned about work being stolen off the web? Bigger the size, the more attractive it gets?

ctz

« Reply #1672 on: March 05, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate the multi-device review!  I'm kind of curious, though, as the images nearly fill my screen on iDevices.  Comparison with Julian's attached.  (I agree, his work and site are excellent).  Weird thing is, on my MacBook Pro Retina, the portfolio images nearly fill my screen, but on my 30" monitor on the PC editing station they do feel small.  I'm looking into this, as impactful images was a big push with the redesign and the reasoning behind the fullscreen homepage.

The comparison stands still only for the first page on both sites. Then, once you enter the galleries, I guess the real estate is better used (if may I say so, especially to an architectural photographer :P) on Julian's site. Maybe you loose too much space with the navigation bar and logo, on the desktop version, mainly, but also on iPad. Also on ipad, the menu is hidden on the entry page. I still think the programming for responsiveness is not ideal.  Also check how the pictures are displayed on multiple devices and you'll notice what I mean. Once again, I'm a huge admirer of your work, that's the main reason why I bothered to write about the new site design in the first place.  You're also a great contributor on this forum, so we owe you some in return for your valuable posts and time taken with all your gear reviews. And somehow I feel that you very much care about the design, too, that's why I try to help with a friendly opinion and an extra pair of eyes.

Cheers,
ctz

PS. I've browsed the site once more. The intro page on desktop, with full screen previews looks GREAT!!!  Especially the video on the home/entry page is a KILLER!!! Why not keep this design for the whole site? :)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:54:37 pm by ctz »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1673 on: March 05, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »

Ahh... CTZ, so I guess you were initially talking more about my portfolio page with the small squares as links to the sections?  Yeah, I'm ok with those being small.  I totally welcome the critique and value your input.  The site is important to me.  Julian's is really great on mobile devices, where that was more of an afterthought for us.  Definitely something to think about...

Thanks,
CB

ctz

« Reply #1674 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »

And another one.
One this page http://christopherbarrett.net/portfolio_page/lake-shore/ you have two sets of arrows. I understand what they do, but still, from the user interface point of view, this might be confusing.

ctz

« Reply #1675 on: March 05, 2015, 04:02:48 pm »

Ahh... CTZ, so I guess you were initially talking more about my portfolio page with the small squares as links to the sections?  Yeah, I'm ok with those being small.  I totally welcome the critique and value your input.  The site is important to me.  Julian's is really great on mobile devices, where that was more of an afterthought for us.  Definitely something to think about...

Thanks,
CB

:)
No, not at all, of course the thumbs or small squares are fine, for previews. I was talking about the galleries, first time. And the intro page is that who really looks great.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:07:02 pm by ctz »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1676 on: March 05, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »

Agreed, the homepage looks much better on the iPad.  I had considered making all the portfolio sections just like the homepage, but then it seemed important to differentiate them.  Hmm.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #1677 on: March 05, 2015, 05:11:02 pm »

And another one.
One this page http://christopherbarrett.net/portfolio_page/lake-shore/ you have two sets of arrows. I understand what they do, but still, from the user interface point of view, this might be confusing.

I don't want to gang up but the page referenced highlights an issue, for me, (I worked out the arrows BTW, but should I have to?) I have no idea how many images are in each "set" so until the "carousel" comes around and I recognise one as a repeat, and with the abstracts great as they are, that was not super easy  ;D
I don't like sites that get around this with thumbnails that scroll and don't have an answer, another armchair critic. Overall very professional and spot on using the MacBookPro (non Retina).
Nice to see some old favourites popping up as well!!

Chris Barrett

« Reply #1678 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:15 am »

I just noticed the 35mm exclusion update to the forum.  Naturally, that was always implied merely by the title of the category.  Many of us would skirt the line, posting multiple formats because we valued the opinions of those who frequent this thread.  I respect the recent decision, think it makes sense and hopefully will see the end to all the pointless format bickering.  This happens to come at the same time as I am transitioning most of my work to the A7r, though, so I won't really be posting images here anymore.  I'll still check in and offer advice where I can.

Cheers,
CB

ctz

« Reply #1679 on: March 06, 2015, 11:47:28 am »

Medium format is just a state of mind, regardless of the camera you use. :P
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 147   Go Up