Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205116 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #740 on: October 01, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »

A grab from a new short film we're just about to wrap on...

CB

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #741 on: October 02, 2013, 04:13:11 am »

For b&w I actually don't find digital any easier. Convenient yes on the capture side, but more work in post to get the tones I want.

Absolutely true, b&w film is easier to handle after the capture than digital.

bcooter

« Reply #742 on: October 02, 2013, 05:41:36 am »

Olympic Gold Medalist Sanya Richards for motion and ad series.

BC

Professional

« Reply #743 on: October 02, 2013, 07:18:05 am »

Olympic Gold Medalist Sanya Richards for motion and ad series.

BC

Nice shot, but i have 2 comments:

1. Is that flare on face a good idea? I like the sun flare if it is there without getting on the face, but maybe some like it this way i dunno.

2. It will be better if her left foot is shown fully rather than it is cropped.

bcooter

« Reply #744 on: October 02, 2013, 11:23:45 am »

It is what it is.  No retouching, other than some curve adjustments a a little skin cleanup.

That's just the face the flare exactly on the file.

That's what they wanted, that's what we did.

BC

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #745 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »

bcooter: Nice -- love the flare, the warm/reddish tones, the motion that the lines in the track lend to the shot.

Assistant holding large Sun-Bounce?

bcooter

« Reply #746 on: October 02, 2013, 01:01:03 pm »

bcooter: Nice -- love the flare, the warm/reddish tones, the motion that the lines in the track lend to the shot.

Assistant holding large Sun-Bounce?

Assistants running with multiple shiny boards.

Hey better them than me.

BC

P.S.  In regards to adding the other foot, it's not in this frame, is in others so an easy retouch, except the look, at least the creative brief I get today is for more real, less manicured.

I like real . . . I guess.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:03:01 pm by bcooter »

epines

« Reply #747 on: October 02, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »

Same deal here, regarding less manicured shots -- My rep wants me to put a new lifestyle section on my website with looser, less-planned, less-perfected shots, since everything these days is following that Instagram style. Just not sure if it's a good idea to follow trends. By the time I've shot and finished new work, and made that gallery section a known presence in the marketplace, I might look like just another photographer shooting that kind of imagery. A while back, people wanted the Jim Fiscus look, then the Jill Greenberg look, then the Erik Almas look ... et cetera. The danger with chasing every trend is, you're always a bit behind the curve, and and you're never doing what's in your heart. (cooter -- I'm not implying you're doing this; I'm just voicing my thoughts I've had on the matter.)

ethan

bcooter

« Reply #748 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:46 pm »

Same deal here, regarding less manicured shots -- My rep wants me to put a new lifestyle section on my website with looser, less-planned, less-perfected shots, since everything these days is following that Instagram style. Just not sure if it's a good idea to follow trends. By the time I've shot and finished new work, and made that gallery section a known presence in the marketplace, I might look like just another photographer shooting that kind of imagery. A while back, people wanted the Jim Fiscus look, then the Jill Greenberg look, then the Erik Almas look ... et cetera. The danger with chasing every trend is, you're always a bit behind the curve, and and you're never doing what's in your heart. (cooter -- I'm not implying you're doing this; I'm just voicing my thoughts I've had on the matter.)

ethan

Naw I get it.  Every agent wants you to broaden your repretioire, but hey they sell, they get use to what they see and kind of forget that not everybody they show is as bored with it as they are and I can elaborate on this, but I'd get in trouble.

Anyway, I did a video that was shot with stills and a really "real" look a while back, it still pulls work and well . . . a gigs a gig man.

video

Not to go of topic, but I really resist being put in a category like a brand of soap.   I dunno, I find most of it is just silly.

When we shot lingerie/inner-wear (what a strange name) we shot for the 4 largest companies in the world and two we're completely positive we only shot men, for the other two it was women.

Silly, but you just roll with it.

Personally if I just had to shoot one thing, either motion or still I'd go crazy.  It just seems boring and after a while you just can't get out of it.

After all still photography is just subject, light and background.  Always is and shooting "real" (what the heck is real?) or manufactured it's all kind of the same.

Most people will disagree, but hey, that doesn't matter.  It matters if you work.

The only thing I don't want to do is subjects that don't breath.   I just fall asleep.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:42:42 pm by bcooter »

epines

« Reply #749 on: October 02, 2013, 02:39:20 pm »

Naw I get it.  Every agent wants you to broaden your repretioire, but hey they sell, they get use to what they see and kind of forget that not everybody they show is as bored with it as they are and I can elaborate on this, but I'd get in trouble.

Anyway, I did a video that was shot with stills and a really "real" look a while back, it still pulls work and well . . . a gigs a gig man.

video

Not to go of topic, but I really resist being put in a category like a brand of soap.   I dunno, I find most of it is just silly.

When we shot lingerie/inner-wear (what a strange name) we shot for the 4 largest companies in the world and two we're completely positive we only shot men, for the other two it was women.

Silly, but you just roll with it.

Personally if I just had to shoot one thing, either motion or still I'd go crazy.  It just seems boring and after a while you just can't get out of it.

After all still photography is just subject, light and background.  Always is and shooting "real" (what the heck is real?) or manufactured it's all kind of the same.

Most people will disagree, but hey, that doesn't matter.  It matters if you work.

The only thing I don't want to do is subjects that don't breath.   I just fall asleep.

IMO

BC

Holy moly -- that's a lot of stills. Nice video.

A gig's a gig, indeed. I had a discussion with my lady about all this, and we came to the same conclusion.

About being put in a category -- I hear you, but in my experience, agencies often want to know what to hire me for. I'm not at the level you're at in the industry, and so far it seems like it's been in my interest to specialize a bit more. If it were just up to me, I'd be shooting a greater variety of things. I love it all -- portraits, conceptual productions, moody series, quirky documentary work from traveling, spontaneous moments, film-noir series, urban landscapes, etc. Yes, stills can start feeling like just subject-light-background, but I'm still having a good time taking my conceptual / produced shoots to the next level. Sometimes I fear I might be chasing a part of the ad world that's already gone, but I'm maintaining faith that there's still a need for that kind of work.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #750 on: October 03, 2013, 07:46:23 am »

A Mamiya ZD frame from 2011, just developed

slackercruster

« Reply #751 on: October 03, 2013, 08:14:57 am »

A Mamiya ZD frame from 2011, just developed

Beautiful work.

She has a wonderful symmetrical body. I love the 3 ribs! One of the best studies in gray tones I've seen.

Why did it take so long to bring to light?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:28:31 am by slackercruster »

slackercruster

« Reply #752 on: October 03, 2013, 08:16:14 am »

Recent personal / portfolio series. The first one is coming out in Workbook in the next week or two. It's a single capture, H3DII-39, HC 50mm lens.

The shoot was a ton of fun, but it's also hell shooting that close to the tide. Sand gets in everything. The water occasionally comes much higher than you expect, potentially drenching gear. Whether the tide is rising or receding, you're constantly moving the talent and lights with it.

Nice work, very creative.

slackercruster

« Reply #753 on: October 03, 2013, 08:20:41 am »

Naw.  Dallas, regardless of perception would much rather be picked up and moved to the east cost.   Dallas is corporate money, Bentleys and Armani, the 25 year olds eat fusion and are foodies, well most of them.

There's still some Texas left in the area, if you go to Ft. Worth, but most of that is for tourists that still think we all ride horse and shoot on sight.

The name of this bar sounds politically incorrect, but for a long, long time Dallas lived under the stigma of that awful day and I think just grew tired of it

I've never heard a Dallasite mention it, but the national and international news mentions that time as if it were yesterday.

Anyway, the patrons of this bar just wanna have fun, sit out in the gravel lot, listen to music, get a little loaded, go home with a boy/girl and not worry about life.

To them the name Lee Harvey has about as much impact as saying John Wilkes Booth.  Both tragic, both way in the past.

But no you won't get shot with a gun.  There is more guns per capita in LA than Dallas, though perception and reality are way different animals.

Actually the most liberal county in American is the most caucasian centric, Marin County, North of San Francisco.  Dallas proper has more percentage of ethnic's groups than most American Cities, so  . . .

Once again, perception and reality.

Love this shot, love this model.  Kathryn is not anorexic, or afraid to eat a meal, she's just a good hard working damn pretty woman.

Not Retouched.

IMO

BC

Beautiful, natural look. I enjoyed all your shots.

slackercruster

« Reply #754 on: October 03, 2013, 08:22:01 am »

Two of my favorite.

Same talent, left during makeup, right after.

Left, a trillion iso, right much less.

Both p30+, contax

BC

OK, not an anorexic, but she is pretty thin...nice work!

slackercruster

« Reply #755 on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:11 am »

Hello,

This is a personal shot I did working with a great retoucher and all round nice guy Dan Coroian-Vlad.

http://www.retouching.co.nz/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/D2-creative-retouching/166300943405238

The car was shot with a Nikon D800E, Nikon 70-200mm F2.8G @F16.0.

Lighting was Dedos my new home made strip light and some light painting.

I have another shot of the Aston Martin DBS coming soon.

Cheers

Simon

Very nice. Reminds me of that guy that does all the sports shots.

slackercruster

« Reply #756 on: October 03, 2013, 08:25:18 am »

Skylabs, Heidelberg, Germany:

I'm not too much for architecture. But you put out some nice clean work...beautiful!

MrSmith

« Reply #757 on: October 03, 2013, 08:48:18 am »

a chemex coffee brewer for a mag cover all about coffee

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #758 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:23 am »

Beautiful work.

She has a wonderful symmetrical body. I love the 3 ribs! One of the best studies in gray tones I've seen.

Why did it take so long to bring to light?

Thanks. Simply not enough time to process images. I still have many from even 2002.
A lot of retouching time is spent on the background behind the model. Paper is never as smooth as I like it to be.
Even a fresh roll of paper quickly develops some bumps on the surface. I suppose due to humidity, although it is very dry in my studio.
I was thinking of trying vinul, not sure if it is as matte as the paper, but even then it would get quickly stretched under the model's weight... well unless she is levitating:)

BobDavid

« Reply #759 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:59 am »

Thanks. Simply not enough time to process images. I still have many from even 2002.
A lot of retouching time is spent on the background behind the model. Paper is never as smooth as I like it to be.
Even a fresh roll of paper quickly develops some bumps on the surface. I suppose due to humidity, although it is very dry in my studio.
I was thinking of trying vinul, not sure if it is as matte as the paper, but even then it would get quickly stretched under the model's weight... well unless she is levitating:)

I appreciate the effort it takes to render a smooth bkg. when working with seamless. I've found that increasing the distance of the subject in relationship to the background helps. But of course, I've only got about 20 feet lengthwise, so that severely limits what I am able to shoot. I'm fanatical about smooth bkgs. for my doggie portraits http://www.topdogimaging.net/dog-photos.html. I am stunned by how much the price of seamless has gone up over the past few years. Nothing turns me off more than seeing ripply backgrounds.

By the way, I love the image. You really have an incredible knack for taking interesting minimalist photos. I know how much perfection it takes to pull it off.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 147   Go Up