Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205165 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #580 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:29 am »

Let me just say that I am moving there in steps, both of us.  We now have NYC numbers and addresses.  The only problem with not living there is not being able to network as good as if we were.  I also need to get a portfolio of exterior buildings from NYC, which is hard since I don't live there either. 

And also that fact that I will have to leave Philly at 2:15 AM this Sat. to make a 4:15 start time in Manhattan; not looking forward to that.   :(
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

BobDavid

« Reply #581 on: August 15, 2013, 09:25:43 am »

I don't understand your rationale, Joe. Perhaps a New York rep will help you land more jobs in NYC. Photography is more competitive now than it's ever been. I live in the middle of a swamp; 90% of my projects come from clients that are at least 500 miles away. Perhaps you'd stand a better chance marketing your skills to Cleveland. I would think NYC is saturated with local talent.

TMARK

« Reply #582 on: August 15, 2013, 09:28:39 am »

If I were in your shoes, live in Carrol Gardens, Brooklyn for three years.  Try and save some money (almost impossible).  Make your connections, shoot a bunch, then get the hell out.  NYC is set up for boom and bust.  If you boom in NYC, have an exit strategy, diversify, make sure you shoot in LA, make sure you make the rounds to all the big clients in the US and abroad.  Otherwise, once your connections at an agency or magazine are gone, so are you.  Then you have to start over.

Good luck.  Its a good experience living there.

Let me just say that I am moving there in steps, both of us.  We now have NYC numbers and addresses.  The only problem with not living there is not being able to network as good as if we were.  I also need to get a portfolio of exterior buildings from NYC, which is hard since I don't live there either. 

And also that fact that I will have to leave Philly at 2:15 AM this Sat. to make a 4:15 start time in Manhattan; not looking forward to that.   :(

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #583 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:04 am »

My wife and I have toyed for years with getting an NYC apartment, just a small rental as sort of a weekend place.  It would also give me an East Coast presence, so that I could shoot there without my typical $3k travel expense.  I figured if it landed me a few extra jobs a year it would at least pay for the Apt.

We dig NYC but love Chicago too.

Here's a picture of some chairs...

...and a house...

CB

Aphoto

• Architectural photography, Berlin
« Reply #584 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »

@Chris Barrett
oh,
I like the first one very much!
Best, Adrian // www.adrianschulz.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #585 on: August 16, 2013, 11:29:27 am »

Great work Chris, as always. 

Wow, this whole move to NYC thing is getting blown out of the water.  First, we do not plan on moving for some time now, and we would live in Brooklyn.  We already have a nice name base in NYC and our plan is to get our NYC numbers and addresses out there this winter.  Two weeks in and we are already seeing great responses, even from those we have previously met with.  One firm that I have been really trying to get in with finally returned my calls and emails after 3 years of nothing; I am sure the 646 number had a part in that. 

On another note, I hate it when people tell you they "do not have a budget, just tell us what it would cost."  Then I get the reply, your number was more then what we wanted to spend.  Me thinking, "so you did have a budget after all." 

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #586 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:14 pm »

Perhaps they wanted to spend zero?  I don't even know what the going rate is anymore, whether I'm high or low. Naturally I'm happy people keep paying my day rate.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #587 on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »

Nice work Chris.

Good luck with that Joe. I hope it works out for you. Boy to each his own. New Mexico is full of successful photographers bailing from living and working in the big three markets-seems they hate the lifestyle usually. When I go to Chicago (to teach photo) I don't even look for work though some oftentimes comes my way. I love Chicago and need my urban fix there periodically but it is a huge PITA to work there. I am always thrilled to get back to the SW where things are more accessible and not so hectic.

The last time I was there I needed to get on the roof of The Palmer House hotel to do a shot down Michigan Ave. of another building. No shit it took 6 weeks to get them to return my phone calls (and my clients calls too).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:27:26 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

TMARK

« Reply #588 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »

I've never liked The Palmer House.  This makes me like them even less.

Nice work Chris.

Good luck with that Joe. I hope it works out for you. Boy to each his own. New Mexico is full of successful photographers bailing from living and working in the big three markets-seems they hate the lifestyle usually. When I go to Chicago (to teach photo) I don't even look for work though some oftentimes comes my way. I love Chicago and need my urban fix there periodically but it is a huge PITA to work there. I am always thrilled to get back to the SW where things are more accessible and not so hectic.

The last time I was there I needed to get on the roof of The Palmer House hotel to do a shot down Michigan Ave. of another building. No shit it took 6 weeks to get them to return my phone calls (and my clients calls too).

Rob C

« Reply #589 on: August 16, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »

Nice work Chris.

Isn't this an example of the benefits of living on location? One could have gone to see the right guy and got a defintive reply in moments. If I could walk in unexpectedly off the street in Cannes and get the ear of the Public Relations Manager of the Carlton, why not a joint in NY?

Belief is the miracle that opens the doors.

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2013, 04:00:49 pm »

Rob, I was living there for the summer. It took half the summer to get a phone call returned. PLUS as I said they would not return my clients calls either (their neighbor). Nor could I just "walk in" and talk to the right person-tried that and got nowhere.

A similar thing happens when trying to get my architectural photography class access to buildings to do some photography. No problem in the SW-huge problem in Chicago.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:05:13 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rob C

« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »

Rob, I was living there for the summer. It took half the summer to get a phone call returned. PLUS as I said they would not return my clients calls either (their neighbor). Nor could I just "walk in" and talk to the right person-tried that and got nowhere.

A similar thing happens when trying to get my architectural photography class access to buildings to do some photography. No problem in the SW-huge problem in Chicago.

Maybe it's contemporary city paranoia and thoughts of terrorism. You don't, like I do, have a beard, do you? Never helps!

;-)

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2013, 04:25:48 pm »

Yes, But I look like Ansel Adams for pete's sake! :)
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rob C

« Reply #593 on: August 17, 2013, 03:26:33 am »

Yes, But I look like Ansel Adams for pete's sake! :)

Well, there's no answer to that!

;-)

Rob C

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #594 on: August 17, 2013, 03:35:07 am »

Hello,

Shot a couple of weeks ago for Hyundai.

Background image was supplied and the car was shot in my studio using a Nikon D800E attached to a Horseman VCC adaptor and a Rodenstock 105mm Apo Rodagon lens and Dedo lights. My assistant Renee and I took turns sitting in the car playing the driver. Its me in the shot.

Ciao

Simon
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:58:16 am by HarperPhotos »
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

JoeKitchen

« Reply #595 on: August 17, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »

Hello,

Background image was supplied and the car was shot in my studio using a Nikon D800E attached to a Horseman VCC adaptor and a Rodenstock 105mm Apo Rodagon lens and Dedo lights. My assistant Renee and I took turns sitting in the car playing the driver. Its me in the shot.

Ciao

Simon

Very nice Simon.  Funny, you writing that you were in the shot hand me doing a double take, until I realized that the steering is on the other side than here in the States.  

DanielStone

« Reply #596 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:45 pm »

Hello,

Ciao

Simon

Hey Simon,

quick question for ya, if I may:

What's YOUR feel on the use of a "supplied" image of sorts, but then taking a separately-shot/lit car and comping it in? I know it's now a "default" practice for many in the automotive industry, but as a photographer and not just a consumer looking at pretty ad shots I'm left feeling a bit cold, so to speak.

Do you ever do rig shots? I know that many have shied away from them in the few past years due to the time involved, and the rush of modern-day shooting and budgetary constraints. But shooting both the car & background simultaneously (I've found, working on a few car jobs in the past) seems to have less of a "cut and paste" feel.

Again, just my sentiments on the issue as a whole. The lighting on the car is nice btw :)

-Dan

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #597 on: August 17, 2013, 03:48:29 pm »

Hi Dan,

To be honest been in a nice warm studio in stead of a cold freezing South Island road with a team of ten people and a camera rig plus all the hassle of dealing with councils to get road permits and safety certificates as well as traffic control staff does not appeal to me. I know what you are saying but as you have mentioned it is all about money.

With fantastic software like Virtual Rig I personally can not see any reason way you would want to use a camera rig system as they are expensive, time consuming, cumbersome just unnecessary for still photography and you have to contend with the weather which is always unpredictable in winter in New Zealand. For video there is definite advantages in using a camera rig.

http://www.virtualrig-studio.com/

That Hyundai took me 4 hours to shoot compared to at lease a four day shoot on location. Personally I would have retouched the shot with more reflections of the surroundings in the car but those decisions are made by other people.

I have a couple of images I did of an Aston Marin DBS which I will releasing in a couple of weeks which was a personal project. My brief to the retoucher was Tim Burton, Batman, Gotham City, Sleepy Hollow look and I let him loss. Personally I think he hit it on the head perfectly so stay tuned.

Ciao

Simon
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:52:43 pm by HarperPhotos »
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #598 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:36 am »

Were you offering a significant amount of money to use their property? If not, what is their incentive to be responsive to you? Can't imagine they would have any interest in photos of a neighboring building, unless they happen to own or manage it as well.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #599 on: August 19, 2013, 02:41:25 am »

I am in the process of "relocating" to NYC from Philly and, of course, need to change branding a little.  Shot these two Sunday; although I wish I had sun, I think they came out ok.  Both shot with the Rodie 55, which I am also trying to use more often too.  

Excellent views. Color balance seems on the cool side to me for both, on my monitor. The left one seems a bit blue overall, with maybe a hint of magenta or purple in the highlights, and the right one looks positively purple to me, especially the sky.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:44:17 am by David Eichler »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 147   Go Up