Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205595 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2013, 06:13:49 pm »

Gosh, I was seeing exactly the same on the same image and it really disturbed me. I wanted an eraser to remove it.

Totally drives me nuts, but it's a function of perspective.  If you made a mechanical drawing of the same composition from the camera position (to accurate scale) the circles would render with the same distortion.  Sometimes I do correct for this by rotating the camera until the round object is centered in the lens and then shifting the back to retain the same composition...  I did this just yesterday, but it's impossible when composing a 1 point perspective that is square to the architecture.

Actually the linear elements in the shot show the same degree of "distortion".  We just don't perceive it as much as we do with circles.

CB

bcooter

« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »

p30+/Contax

Shot with HMI's, Winow Light and some cutters.

Red (the medium format of the digital motion world)

Shot at a trillion ISO with one small hand held led.

BC

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »

BC, beautiful fashion work.
Interesting portraits. Different I'd say.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

bcooter

« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2013, 10:51:57 pm »

Thank you Antonio.

BC

georgem

• Architecture - Landscape - Nature
« Reply #404 on: May 25, 2013, 02:09:59 am »

Totally drives me nuts, but it's a function of perspective.  If you made a mechanical drawing of the same composition from the camera position (to accurate scale) the circles would render with the same distortion.  Sometimes I do correct for this by rotating the camera until the round object is centered in the lens and then shifting the back to retain the same composition...  I did this just yesterday, but it's impossible when composing a 1 point perspective that is square to the architecture.

Actually the linear elements in the shot show the same degree of "distortion".  We just don't perceive it as much as we do with circles.

CB

Chris, why not fix it in post?

theguywitha645d

« Reply #405 on: May 25, 2013, 02:23:55 pm »

BC, beautiful. Sorry to see you are not posting at GetDPI though...

GWStudioLA

« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2013, 10:20:21 pm »

p30+/Contax

BC

So amazing! What inspired you?

jwheaton

« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2013, 12:08:05 am »

My contribution today. Natural looking recipe for a Home and Kitchen client.

wow, excellent shot. may I ask how you lit it?

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2013, 08:46:48 am »

Sure, we used 4 diffusion screens like you see in the image, 2 soft boxes, one large to cover the back and top screens, one medium form the side and 2 raw lights that were used alternately depending on the ambience of the shot. Main power was the left one.

Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:30 pm »

Sure, we used 4 diffusion screens like you see in the image, 2 soft boxes, one large to cover the back and top screens, one medium form the side and 2 raw lights that were used alternately depending on the ambience of the shot. Main power was the left one.

Very cool, but where was the camera? I imagined the camera was above the centre of the image and looking down vertically but that would mean having the camera on an arm/bracket underneath the top screen and there does not seem to be enough room and you have not cut a hole in the top screen for the camera to poke through from above the screen.

There is a "spare" tripod in front of the table. Was the camera on that and was it a technical camera that you some how used tilts and shifts to get the top-down look?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

MrSmith

« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2013, 06:02:30 pm »

Look at the wine glasses, it's not a level overhead shot.

fredjeang2

« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »

p30+/Contax

BC

Coot,

Watching the below sepia images, I have a question regarding Red if you see this post.

As everything is built on metadatas and therefore non-destructive, my doubt remains on the isos.

Let's take this scenario shoot on Red: if one decide to shoot pushing the isos to extreme levels on purpose (and not because it lacks light)
for ex to get a 16mm grain, and after that you give-up with the idea and want to revert to a clean image to do something completly different,
are the isos also non-destructive?
So for ex, can you take those high-isos images on RCX and going back to 800 the typical high-isos grain would disappear?
I ask this question because never had very high isos Red footage on edit.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:43:09 pm by fredjeang2 »

tho_mas

« Reply #412 on: May 28, 2013, 07:04:15 pm »

CB
may I ask ... why don't you just retouch it?
All your images are so absolutely wonderful minimalistic and straight... so why let the lens determine the final image?

Chris Barrett

« Reply #413 on: May 28, 2013, 08:40:22 pm »

Not so much, Fred.  The ISO is totally metadata, however... if you expose for 3200 in the field and lower the ISO to 800 in RC-X, you will def be 2 stops underexposed. I prefer to shoot a clean ISO 800 and add grain in post if I want it.

I like CineGrain for this, which are actually film scans at 4k and under.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2013, 08:45:14 pm »

All your images are so absolutely wonderful minimalistic and straight... so why let the lens determine the final image?

Thomas, coming from film, we've always been accustomed to accepting the distortion.  It would be a hell of a retouch!  First you'd have to isolate the circular item.  Then you'd have to reshape it.  Then you'd have to rebuild the background where the reshaped item no longer overlaps.  Finally, you'd have to readjust other items, the chairs around the table for example, if their relationship is no longer appropriate.  That would require more outlining and background rebuilding.  All in all, it's not the sort of retouching that most of my clients would bother with given the cost.

Also... the more I think about it...  If you made a drawing of the same image, and rendered the objects more circular, it would feel like a mistake.  The distortion is actually correct for the given perspective.  It's actually about the physical realty of the view, not any function of lenses.  As an example, consider a table top front to back.  If you wanted to draw it in perspective, would you draw a circle or an oval?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:56:26 pm by Chris Barrett »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:42 pm »

It is such a standard distortion in AP going back 75+ years that our clients accept it as a fact of life with WA views.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Chris Barrett

« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:59 pm »

Here is a picture of a lunchroom.  Straight out of camera and unretouched.  No distortions, tho ;)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:43 pm »

I LOVE the abstractness of this, but unfortunately only some of my more sophisticated clients would like it though.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:56 pm »

There should be a LIKE button on LuLa.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #419 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »

Here is a picture of a lunchroom.  Straight out of camera and unretouched.  No distortions, tho ;)

Cool shot, however I can not really figure out what is going on with the design.  Is that the intention. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 147   Go Up