Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205060 times)

BobDavid

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #760 on: October 03, 2013, 11:56:44 am »

In re Russel and Rutherford's picture: Not to be a fuddy duddy, Michael Ezra's photos truly enter the realm of fine art. To me, this picture of the sultry woman looks well ... slutty. I've seen this type of picture ten million times in one form or another. The execution is fine. ... Not to be harsh, but I just don't get it, and I'm not trying to be mean-spirited.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:01:50 pm by BobDavid »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #761 on: October 03, 2013, 12:23:57 pm »

Thanks. Simply not enough time to process images. I still have many from even 2002.
A lot of retouching time is spent on the background behind the model. Paper is never as smooth as I like it to be.
Even a fresh roll of paper quickly develops some bumps on the surface. I suppose due to humidity, although it is very dry in my studio.
I was thinking of trying vinul, not sure if it is as matte as the paper, but even then it would get quickly stretched under the model's weight... well unless she is levitating:)
Now I understand why your models are usually levitating!  ;D

This one, like the levitaters, is stunning. And they are truly fine art, as BobDavid says.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #762 on: October 03, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »

Hmm, let me think, Cooter’s earthy, colourful women or clinical, grey mannequins? ...Not to be harsh, but I just don't get it, and I'm not trying to be mean-spirited.

Have you ever tried to photograph a model in a minimalist setting? If you study Ezra's work, it's clear to see that he has the eye of a sculptor along with total mastery of the aesthetic and the technical aspects of making a timeless image. Perhaps the difference between the "grey mannequins" and "colorful women" is akin to the difference between great literature and pulp fiction. Ezra has a consistent vision and his execution is exquisite. I've been looking at his nude studies for years. More often than not they are masterpieces that I think are as compelling as Rodin's sculptures. I like the fact that he uses an obsolete entry-level  Mamiya/22MP camera.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:22:37 pm by BobDavid »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #763 on: October 03, 2013, 07:36:33 pm »

Have you ever tried to photograph a model in a minimalist setting? If you study Ezra's work, it's clear to see that he has the eye of a sculptor along with total mastery of the aesthetic and the technical aspects of making a timeless image. Perhaps the difference between the "grey mannequins" and "colorful women" is akin to the difference between great literature and pulp fiction. Ezra has a consistent vision and his execution is exquisite. I've been looking at his nude studies for years. More often than not they are masterpieces that I think are as compelling as Rodin's sculptures. I like the fact that he uses an obsolete entry-level  Mamiya/22MP camera.
Exactly! Well said, Bob.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #764 on: October 03, 2013, 09:06:17 pm »

Art is in the eye of the beholder.  Sometimes it's easy to mix up an artfully done photograph with *fine art*.  I guess we all have our own definitions of what is fine art.  

Why compare?  Cooter's contemporary classics are rooted in a sense of place and mood, with eye to making a statement about the "now".  Looking at his images it's easy to connect and understand him as a visual artist.
Ezra's images are past views of Greek Classic nudes.  Well done and beautifully toned.  It's difficult for me to really connect with his wonderful images because I don't understand what he's trying to say, however that's doesn't diminish any visual pleasure I may derive from the work.

No need to rehash the f/64 group's manifesto. Comparing pictorialists to modernists.  Let's continue to learn and enjoy the vision of the artists who freely choose to share their images with us.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:08:16 pm by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

jeremydillon

« Reply #765 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:33 am »

Thanks. Simply not enough time to process images. I still have many from even 2002.
A lot of retouching time is spent on the background behind the model. Paper is never as smooth as I like it to be.
Even a fresh roll of paper quickly develops some bumps on the surface. I suppose due to humidity, although it is very dry in my studio.
I was thinking of trying vinul, not sure if it is as matte as the paper, but even then it would get quickly stretched under the model's weight... well unless she is levitating:)

Hi Michael,
Do you store your paper on the wall or off?  I tend to get 'dimples' if I keep my background paper up on the wall. I think it sags slightly in the middle and when it unrolls the dimples appear. Rolls which I store off the wall, rolled up in their boxes standing vertically don't seem to have this problem.
Cheers
Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:09:06 am by jeremydillon »

BobDavid

« Reply #766 on: October 04, 2013, 12:29:00 am »

Greek sculpture has fascinated artists, historians, and regular folks for millinia. I think Ezra's work certainly exhibits a classical aesthetic. But, I've yet to encounter a Greek sculpture able to capture the female form as Ezra does. His models are real. The synergy between all of the elements--artist, model, space, and moment in time fit together in a manner that is truly sublime,rare. My guess is that he has spent years cultivating his skill. And his images are mysterious. His models have obviously been on a journey exploring the limits of body and mind. There is a certain contemplative/mediative aspect of his work that satisfies.

The picture of the girl in the bar is not a bad picture, nor is it a great one. It is not mysterious or subtle. It's a one-liner. And it's common. I see a lot of work like that in portfolios from enthusiast photographers that are workshop junkies. Michael's work is not like that. I cannot even imagine how beautiful one of his images would look as an artisan print. I see silver, not grey.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #767 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:00 am »

a chemex coffee brewer for a mag cover all about coffee

No one's mentioned it yet, so I will -- this shot is gorgeously done. Nice composition, lighting and retouching. Great work.

MrSmith

« Reply #768 on: October 04, 2013, 03:35:37 am »

Thanks. The blue and wood is a bit more subtle that that, save for web>sRGB>browser seems to have given it some punch that wasn't there in the original.
Client was happy which is the important thing. ;D

(Edit: must be settings in Safari, the colour tone is fine on iPad, new retina MBP so I need to make safari profile aware)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:38:18 am by MrSmith »

Aphoto

• Architectural photography, Berlin
« Reply #769 on: October 04, 2013, 03:19:19 pm »

I'm not too much for architecture. But you put out some nice clean work...beautiful!

Thank you  :)

I've got some more:

Best, Adrian // www.adrianschulz.com

TMARK

« Reply #770 on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:00 pm »

No one's mentioned it yet, so I will -- this shot is gorgeously done. Nice composition, lighting and retouching. Great work.

All of that AND the Chemex is the bomb.

TMARK

« Reply #771 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:32 pm »

In re Russel and Rutherford's picture: Not to be a fuddy duddy, Michael Ezra's photos truly enter the realm of fine art. To me, this picture of the sultry woman looks well ... slutty. I've seen this type of picture ten million times in one form or another. The execution is fine. ... Not to be harsh, but I just don't get it, and I'm not trying to be mean-spirited.

I like them both. They don't lend themselves to comparison, really. 

BobDavid

« Reply #772 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:57 pm »

Gosh!

Having spent a great deal of time during my formative years as an art student viewing the classical Greek statuary I still see it as a celebration of life and the personification of human sexuality and form.

Conversely…

Thankfully it is the differences between us that make for an interesting life.

You are spot on about Greek sculpture. The intent of sculptors in ancient Greece was to chip away at stone to apotheosize the human form. Well, those statues are idealized interpretations. Ezra's photos are about possibilities rather than dreams.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #773 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »

I've got some more:

Adrian, You captured this building beautifully!  It's a spectacular structure and I think your approach is perfect!  Jim

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #774 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »

I got trapped in photography, still sketching the sculptures I hope some day to really create.
I can't live without my BW "girls" but James' always make my day when I see them:)
Our works have similar yet very different purposes.
In the end it is all about witnessing the originals, all that we show are just copies:)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:59:35 pm by MichaelEzra »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #775 on: October 04, 2013, 09:58:40 pm »

Hi Michael,
Do you store your paper on the wall or off?  I tend to get 'dimples' if I keep my background paper up on the wall. I think it sags slightly in the middle and when it unrolls the dimples appear. Rolls which I store off the wall, rolled up in their boxes standing vertically don't seem to have this problem.
Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, I store paper within the plastic bag in their boxes yet still the same problem. I remember the first days in the studio when I was just stapling the paper to the wall under the ceiling:) Don't recall that I paid attention to the "dimples" then... more to the RZ, counting the frames and the model:) I may try the vinul on PhotoExpo, see if that works better.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #776 on: October 04, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »

I've got some more:

Really nice.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Professional

« Reply #777 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:43 am »

I agree about those architectural shots, very nice, i like them, i wish to see some buildings that interesting to shoot.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #778 on: October 05, 2013, 06:02:14 am »

I agree about those architectural shots, very nice, i like them, i wish to see some buildings that interesting to shoot.

Dito ... very well executed work !
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

MichaelEzra

« Reply #779 on: October 05, 2013, 08:29:43 pm »

a chemex coffee brewer for a mag cover all about coffee
I love the colors:)

Here is one (or two) more from the same session:

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 147   Go Up