Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 108   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 462112 times)

jwheaton

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #420 on: May 28, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »

My contribution today. Natural looking recipe for a Home and Kitchen client.

wow, excellent shot. may I ask how you lit it?

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #421 on: May 28, 2013, 08:46:48 AM »

Sure, we used 4 diffusion screens like you see in the image, 2 soft boxes, one large to cover the back and top screens, one medium form the side and 2 raw lights that were used alternately depending on the ambience of the shot. Main power was the left one.

Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #422 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »

Sure, we used 4 diffusion screens like you see in the image, 2 soft boxes, one large to cover the back and top screens, one medium form the side and 2 raw lights that were used alternately depending on the ambience of the shot. Main power was the left one.

Very cool, but where was the camera? I imagined the camera was above the centre of the image and looking down vertically but that would mean having the camera on an arm/bracket underneath the top screen and there does not seem to be enough room and you have not cut a hole in the top screen for the camera to poke through from above the screen.

There is a "spare" tripod in front of the table. Was the camera on that and was it a technical camera that you some how used tilts and shifts to get the top-down look?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

MrSmith

« Reply #423 on: May 28, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »

Look at the wine glasses, it's not a level overhead shot.

fredjeang2

• on YouTube
« Reply #424 on: May 28, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »

p30+/Contax

Shot with HMI's, Winow Light and some cutters.

Red (the medium format of the digital motion world)

Shot at a trillion ISO with one small hand held led.

BC

Coot,

Watching the below sepia images, I have a question regarding Red if you see this post.

As everything is built on metadatas and therefore non-destructive, my doubt remains on the isos.

Let's take this scenario shoot on Red: if one decide to shoot pushing the isos to extreme levels on purpose (and not because it lacks light)
for ex to get a 16mm grain, and after that you give-up with the idea and want to revert to a clean image to do something completly different,
are the isos also non-destructive?
So for ex, can you take those high-isos images on RCX and going back to 800 the typical high-isos grain would disappear?
I ask this question because never had very high isos Red footage on edit.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:43:09 PM by fredjeang2 »

tho_mas

« Reply #425 on: May 28, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »

Totally drives me nuts, but it's a function of perspective.  If you made a mechanical drawing of the same composition from the camera position (to accurate scale) the circles would render with the same distortion.  Sometimes I do correct for this by rotating the camera until the round object is centered in the lens and then shifting the back to retain the same composition...  I did this just yesterday, but it's impossible when composing a 1 point perspective that is square to the architecture.

Actually the linear elements in the shot show the same degree of "distortion".  We just don't perceive it as much as we do with circles.

CB
may I ask ... why don't you just retouch it?
All your images are so absolutely wonderful minimalistic and straight... so why let the lens determine the final image?

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #426 on: May 28, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »

Not so much, Fred.  The ISO is totally metadata, however... if you expose for 3200 in the field and lower the ISO to 800 in RC-X, you will def be 2 stops underexposed. I prefer to shoot a clean ISO 800 and add grain in post if I want it.

I like CineGrain for this, which are actually film scans at 4k and under.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #427 on: May 28, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »

All your images are so absolutely wonderful minimalistic and straight... so why let the lens determine the final image?

Thomas, coming from film, we've always been accustomed to accepting the distortion.  It would be a hell of a retouch!  First you'd have to isolate the circular item.  Then you'd have to reshape it.  Then you'd have to rebuild the background where the reshaped item no longer overlaps.  Finally, you'd have to readjust other items, the chairs around the table for example, if their relationship is no longer appropriate.  That would require more outlining and background rebuilding.  All in all, it's not the sort of retouching that most of my clients would bother with given the cost.

Also... the more I think about it...  If you made a drawing of the same image, and rendered the objects more circular, it would feel like a mistake.  The distortion is actually correct for the given perspective.  It's actually about the physical realty of the view, not any function of lenses.  As an example, consider a table top front to back.  If you wanted to draw it in perspective, would you draw a circle or an oval?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:56:26 PM by Chris Barrett »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #428 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »

It is such a standard distortion in AP going back 75+ years that our clients accept it as a fact of life with WA views.
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM
LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)

Chris Barrett

« Reply #429 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »

Here is a picture of a lunchroom.  Straight out of camera and unretouched.  No distortions, tho ;)

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #430 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

I LOVE the abstractness of this, but unfortunately only some of my more sophisticated clients would like it though.
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #431 on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »

There should be a LIKE button on LuLa.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #432 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:45 PM »

Here is a picture of a lunchroom.  Straight out of camera and unretouched.  No distortions, tho ;)

Cool shot, however I can not really figure out what is going on with the design.  Is that the intention. 
Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent moving furniture."  Arnold Newman
“Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.”  William Faulkner

Chris Barrett

« Reply #433 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »

Hah!  We do actually have an overall shot of the lunchroom.  I rarely get to make shots like this, but the marketing person from the firm said that he will actually use this a lot!

;)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #434 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »

Going back to distortion, I shot this last week for a friend of mine who is an interior architect.  Yes, the distortion does bother me a little, but the 2 point version just ... does't feel ... right.  Like why shoot a 2 point when a one point is possible?  BTW, I was not too keen on the owls, but, you know.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:43:50 PM by JoeKitchen »
Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent moving furniture."  Arnold Newman
“Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.”  William Faulkner

JoeKitchen

« Reply #435 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:39 PM »

Hah!  We do actually have an overall shot of the lunchroom.  I rarely get to make shots like this, but the marketing person from the firm said that he will actually use this a lot!

;)
That is what I thought.  If not, I was hoping you could post the plans so I could figure out what the space looked like. 
Joe Kitchen
www.josephmkitchen.com

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #436 on: May 28, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »

;)

Yeehaaa!
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #437 on: May 28, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »

There should be a LIKE button on LuLa.

ditto-sometimes I'm just too lazy or busy to write something.......
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM

bcooter

• Bang That Drum
    • work
« Reply #438 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »

Coot,

Watching the below sepia images, I have a question regarding Red if you see this post.

As everything is built on metadatas and therefore non-destructive, my doubt remains on the isos.

Let's take this scenario shoot on Red: if one decide to shoot pushing the isos to extreme levels on purpose (and not because it lacks light)
for ex to get a 16mm grain, and after that you give-up with the idea and want to revert to a clean image to do something completly different,
are the isos also non-destructive?
So for ex, can you take those high-isos images on RCX and going back to 800 the typical high-isos grain would disappear?
I ask this question because never had very high isos Red footage on edit.

Uh, well . . . gosh Fred I wish I knew.

Really, I'm sure someone from RED knows more about this than me.

The thing I've noticed with digital noise in all cameras, still and motion, the more light you have, regardless of iso, the less noise you have.

Shoot a Phase back at 800 ISO with a lot of studio flash and the noise is pretty minimal.  Shoot it with very little available light and the shadow noise can be fairly severe.

Same with the RED.

Now these images were shot with a small light panel, either handheld or mounted on a stand.  

All I did was go into the R1, move stuff around until I liked it and shot it.

Crazy right?

Anyway, once in Cine-x, there is 4 ways to make a scene brighter.  Exposure slider, ISO, Flut (which stands for something like Floating point) and obviously brightness.

Each one looks different, so in post I did a combination of all, including contrast to get the look I wanted, then made a still, then went to photoshop to match and finish out.

But, to answer your question, if I dropped the iso down to 800, and moved the exposure way up to compensate the noise was still there, but it depended on the original exposure and voume of light more than anything.

When I shot this I also tried a few images with more light and less iso and obviously less noise.  Then I tried less light, opened up the Fstop to match and though the noise should be equal I saw more noise.

In post processing I also thought it would be better to kill the denoise filter and put it in later in photoshop, but that made the blacks clump.  You really can't see the clumping in a motion image, but a still it's very evident.

So the best was was to shoot it the way I liked, look at it in the computer, make some adjustments, shoot it and then process it out with no noise killer and just move a combination of iso and exposure where I had the base image I wanted.

Does that make sense?

I don't know, but it did what I wanted.

Though the real answer is, if time permits and you know the look you want, test it, test it, test it and then shoot it.

I really only had time to shoot it, look at it, guess at the adjustment and shoot it.

BC

BTW Chris, loved that image, but it would have been great with a half eaten sandwich.  You know, human it up man.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:03:59 PM by bcooter »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #439 on: May 28, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »

LIKE!   :D

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website. New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 108   Go Up