Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1206759 times)

minicoop1985

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2420 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28:21 pm »

Once I redo it with the hands in the right spots, this is portfolio stuff. I just need a less scratched up watch to try it with.

Focus stacking by Michael Long, on Flickr
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

donbga

« Reply #2421 on: December 12, 2016, 07:46:23 pm »

Once I redo it with the hands in the right spots, this is portfolio stuff. I just need a less scratched up watch to try it with.

Perhaps some post work could polish away the scratches.

minicoop1985

« Reply #2422 on: December 12, 2016, 09:02:34 pm »

I looked at all the scratches and decided to try it with a different watch.

I need a BETTER watch that isn't Star Wars themed and isn't scratched to hell, because I really don't feel like spending hours in post.
Michael Long

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2423 on: December 13, 2016, 02:43:48 am »

The first link below is the one where I think Bailey talks about the Vogue situation (I say think, because there are so many of them in my mind they merge too well!). He also mentions digital as being a tool, nothing more and nothing less; the next one is a collection of some nice work of his, and the last one is of John Swannell, his one-time assistant who travelled the world with him in his heyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucd8WD3FM0U#t=5.5660634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCh2S0Hf_WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBi_M8mSa0

Rob

Many thanks, saves me trawling and will be good to view over the festive season. With Bailey you need to weed out the ones where he rants, one is enough, and where he obviously holds the interviewer in contempt or was just having a bad day. There is one where Helvin talks and really shows his camera/photography obsession with a rather bitter edge, no doubt softened by her bank balance as a result.

minicoop1985

« Reply #2424 on: December 13, 2016, 10:00:20 am »

Not sure if fun or portfolio yet.

Might work on it some more.
Michael Long

Rob C

« Reply #2425 on: December 13, 2016, 10:57:23 am »

Rob,
As I am very interested in the historical fashion photography topic, I wanted to add this video pertaining to Bailey.  He "consults" on a friend's remake of one of his iconic images.  I found it interesting.  If you haven't seen it, I hope you do too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuoTMHBnrxw

The interesting thing I find, however, is when he compares the 1960's shot next to his remake at the end, I find the remake lacking.  The original had a certain je ne sais quoi.  From the arch of the model's back, to the whimsical, mischievousness of her expression to the more comfortable and "at ease" pose.  Bailey's original stands head and shoulders above the remake.  If I were to take on a challenge like that, I would put my own spin on it and probably would have short lit it right off the bat.  But, hey, that's just me...

Thanks for the link - I had seen part of it before, but not the whole thing. It was a daft thing to do, anyway, but both guys are only doing it for publicity. I think they shot a book together on nothing but close-ups of pudenda. What can one say? Okay, I wouldn't buy it.

As you are interested in the subject, here are some names you may or may not know that are worth doing a Google to check out. But, as with much Internet stuff, there are often pics credited to the wrong photographers in most of those group photo-listings that come up if you just type in the name followed by the word images...

From memory, these were the people ruling the British fashion photography scene during the 60s/70s - I link them because the two decades are really rather indistinct in my head, other than the sixties were about beauty and the seventies were not quite so much about beauty but more about cult, and different being more important than great.

Some of the foremost Brits were John French, David Bailey, Terence Donovan, Brian Duffy, Clive Arrowsmith, Albert Watson, Harri Peccinotti and also Norman Parkinson and Cecil Beaton who had already been doing it during the war.

Alongside them in UK magazines such as Vogue, Nova, Queen, but not British photographers, were: Frank Horvat, Sarah Moon, Hans Feurer, Jeanloup Sieff, Christa Peters, Guy Bourdin, Ronald Traeger, Just Jaeckin, Richard Avedon, John Rawlings, Ronald Traeger, Barry Lategan, Arnaud de Rosnay, Helmut Newton, Peter Lindberg, William Klein, Saul Leiter, Clifford Coffin, Alex Chatelain, Elizabeth Novick, Henry Clarke, Bruce Weber, Oliviero Toscani, Bill King, Franco Rubartelli, Rico Puhlmann, Deborah Turbeville, Sante D'Orazio and on and on. I grow dizzy trying to remember this stuff!

The main thing to know, if history matters, is this: there wasn't really any fashion photography revolution in the 60s due to the London guys; similar stuff was already being done across borders by people many years before them. The London thing about fashion and the Swinging Sixties was simply what brought it, the fashion business, to popular attention: it didn't invent it nor its representation.

You should look at Lillian Bassman, Martin Munkacsi, Regina Relang, Karen Radkai, Louis Faurer and many others in the States to understand that a helluva lot came over from America and it, in turn, from European Jewish émigré roots, well before the 60s.

There are so many others whose pics I sort of remember a bit, but their names have gone. There's one American fashion photographer who did lots in UK Vogue, who also did great stuff with ballet and discovered (I think!) and championed Christie Turlington. How hellish it is growing old and forgetting names... but to be honest, I always did! ;-) Got him! Arthur Elgort.

There's also an entire stable devoted to the various versions of Elle, including the great Gilles Bensimon. Guys such as Victor Skrebneski in Chicago, US Cosmopolitan's long-serving cover shooter who wore a peaked, military-looking sort of 'gay' cap... Francesco Scavullo!

Yeah, some great photographers took part in that business.

Rob

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:26:58 pm by Rob C »

minicoop1985

« Reply #2426 on: December 13, 2016, 07:50:46 pm »

Photographing stuff for sale.

Focus stacked by Michael Long, on Flickr
Michael Long

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2427 on: December 14, 2016, 10:09:33 am »

A new addition to series "Musical Athletes". 645z

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2428 on: December 14, 2016, 10:33:21 am »

So much to explore. The feet alone with their lovely texture and tones and angles. The muscles in the calves. There's a whole composition just in there :)

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2429 on: December 18, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »

Thank you Mike,

Here is one more from the same session:

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2430 on: December 18, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »

Phew. Who comes up with the poses, you?, the model? or both? It's stunning.

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2431 on: December 18, 2016, 02:02:33 pm »

Thanks, I come up with the poses, and it is collaboration - each session becomes fine-tuned to abilities and limitations of each model.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2432 on: December 18, 2016, 08:06:34 pm »

Thanks, I come up with the poses, and it is collaboration - each session becomes fine-tuned to abilities and limitations of each model.
Your models seem to have no reasnoable limitations at all!
Great work, as always, Michael.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2433 on: December 19, 2016, 02:37:32 am »

I'm not meaning to pry but I'd have thought a pose like that would be beyond most models - or do I do an injustice to the young ladies concerned? Then again I suppose if they dance as well maybe they can feel physically comfortable posing like this. You do have a good eye for the pose and the ladies have great physical prowess in delivering. I remain in awe. I would love to try something similar but I lack your lighting skills, your post processing skills and to be blunt the money to pay the model :) I also doubt that I could form the right rapport with the model which must be a key part of the success.

Mike

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2434 on: December 20, 2016, 11:39:09 pm »

One more from the same session. As one can image pose attained here is entirely relying on model's talent and skill.

The last aspect you mention really is the key for success of the session; imagination and improvisation, on the other hand, is the same for the work itself.

A couple of portraits just before one of those jumps.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2435 on: December 21, 2016, 02:29:48 am »

Thank you Michael, I find it fascinating to see how a fine art portraitist approaches his work.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2436 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:57 am »

A shot from the Serenity Room inside UC Jacob's Medical Center from our shoot a few months ago.  Love how the benches grow out of the floor.  The whole building is so "shwoopy"!

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #2437 on: December 21, 2016, 01:16:57 pm »

A shot from the Serenity Room inside UC Jacob's Medical Center from our shoot a few months ago.  Love how the benches grow out of the floor.  The whole building is so "shwoopy"!

Excellent composition. I also like the color contrast between the warmish interior and the slightly cool exterior daylight.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2438 on: December 21, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »

Chris, you shoot some great looking spaces.  Nice work as always.
Craig Lamson Photo

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #2439 on: December 21, 2016, 09:06:19 pm »

Chris,
Can you share your camera setup please?  Also, any lighting other than ambient?
Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 147   Go Up