Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205212 times)

Brent Daniels

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2260 on: August 20, 2016, 06:23:14 pm »

Thanks bcooter. Very rare to get  a project like this. A trusting client and cost consultants not yet being created was the key.

Yeah the days of 1 shot a day, or 1 pre light day and 1 shoot day for one still life ad image ........

The light was a special built 12' x 12' soft box with 8 Profoto 4800 heads/packs and then 2 12'x12' silks a foot apart 3' in front of the box. Long recharge but when shooting 8x10 one does not have to worry about frame rate & flash recycling time.

With one shot we had the talent napping in the changing room for 6 hrs on the clock as we fussed the light from behind a bottle to get it where we had it before the client said "What if we move this" follow by "I like it better the way it was" . No one questioned the addition talent bill at all. Try getting away with that now days. But hey now instead of an 8x10 polaroid I would have had a digital capture of the pre moved the bottle stage and been laughing to post.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 06:27:12 pm by Brent Daniels »

bcooter

« Reply #2261 on: August 20, 2016, 06:44:24 pm »

But hey now instead of an 8x10 polaroid I would have had a digital capture of the pre moved the bottle stage and been laughing to post.

Yea maybe, but after many 18 hour days in post production, this is pretty much how I feel about computers.

BC

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2262 on: August 21, 2016, 01:24:25 am »

I feel your pain Bcooter.  Now days 1 day of shooting the "raw material" for 1 still life shot equals 3 days in post. The processing and post for your 39 set-ups in a day is truly scary.

It has only been a year since my full 2 yr break from doing absolutely any post work ended. Surprisingly I was happy to get back to it. Maybe because it was not by choice. But that is already starting wearing off.

Some how we have all transformed into computer pixel heads. Exchanging darkroom chemical dermatitis for computer reading glasses.

bcooter

« Reply #2263 on: August 21, 2016, 04:03:02 am »

It isn't the job we signed up for and that's not generational talk, that's just the truth.   We are fireman, run to the fire put it out, not clean up the mess.

4 days of shooting now with motion equal two weeks sometimes ten.

Back to outsourcing to the brave new world'

BC

I feel your pain Bcooter.  Now days 1 day of shooting the "raw material" for 1 still life shot equals 3 days in post. The processing and post for your 39 set-ups in a day is truly scary.
 :-\
It has only been a year since my full 2 yr break from doing absolutely any post work ended. Surprisingly I was happy to get back to it. Maybe because it was not by choice. But that is already starting wearing off.

Some how we have all transformed into computer pixel heads. Exchanging darkroom chemical dermatitis for computer reading glasses.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:50:17 pm by bcooter »

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2264 on: August 21, 2016, 08:48:24 am »

Here is one of my favourite images from my new personal series that I was working on while on a longer term visit to Brooklyn, NY. I have 5 more items collected and ready to shoot to make it a series of 10 images. Sadly I most likely will not be able to finish the series.

Wish I could have shot it on 8x10 but the multishot Hasselblad digital on an Arca Swiss M-Line is pretty good too. Actually very little post on these images as I left all the dirt, grit, and character imposed by the gutters of Brooklyn.

The rest of the images in this unfinished series can be seen here. 
http://www.brentdaniels.com/Personal-Projects/Brooklyn-Gutter-Trash/1

bcooter

« Reply #2265 on: August 21, 2016, 03:35:45 pm »

Here is one of my favourite images from my new personal series that I was working on while on a longer term visit to Brooklyn, NY. I have 5 more items collected and ready to shoot to make it a series of 10 images. Sadly I most likely will not be able to finish the series.

Wish I could have shot it on 8x10 but the multishot Hasselblad digital on an Arca Swiss M-Line is pretty good too. Actually very little post on these images as I left all the dirt, grit, and character imposed by the gutters of Brooklyn.

The rest of the images in this unfinished series can be seen here. 
http://www.brentdaniels.com/Personal-Projects/Brooklyn-Gutter-Trash/1

I've seen this series earlier and I love it.  Thanks

BC

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2266 on: August 21, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »

Thanks bcooter. Your comment had me thinking that early onset senility was kicking in again. I posted this as I am just very disappointed that I most likely will not be able to finish the series. I have some more really great stuff I had collected ready to shoot sitting in Brooklyn. Too bad I cannot get to it. So I figured why not show it here.

BD

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2267 on: August 22, 2016, 12:04:12 am »

Calla.  Shot on Fp4+ 4x5.  Platinum / Palladium print via inkjet neg.

CB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2268 on: August 22, 2016, 08:23:24 am »

Very nice Chris, looks to be more platinum then palladium. 

How did the inkjet neg work?  I always thought that inks where not as opaque as silver gelatin and would not exposure as well.  The print looks grainy, did you need to add a lot of reacting agent to increase the contrast due to the inkjet neg? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2269 on: August 22, 2016, 10:02:20 am »

Joe, I recall it as a somewhat grainy medium, still I wouldn't mind these being smoother.  Inkjet on Pictorico worked great.  The inks were piezography and laid down densities exceeding 3.0.  No contrast agent is added as we do all that with a custom curve.  Once you have a system linearized, all of your negs can print at the same exposure time, which is a beautiful thing for ganging up exposures.  We developed in Ammonium Citrate which is less toxic and cools down the Palladium.  It was actually 10 drops to 3 of Platinum.

I'm currently designing a darkroom buildout for my basement and shopping UV exposure units. I'm really enjoying this stage of things!

CB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2270 on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:13 am »

Once you have a system linearized, all of your negs can print at the same exposure time, which is a beautiful thing for ganging up exposures. 

CB

That is awesome! 

What kind of printer are you using and did you need to buy special inks? 

Also, what paper?  I always liked Stonehenge; I found it to react very nicely. 

It's been years since I did any alternative printing and would love to get back into it.  I bought a book on doing Chrysotypes (gold printing) some years ago, but just did not have the facilities to develop negatives.  Maybe if inkjet works well, I could convert digital captures to negs. 

Not seeing the etch marking for the film type is kind of weird though. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:14:24 am by JoeKitchen »

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2271 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:37 pm »

Chris, this is wonderful!

Years ago I bought a film recorder with a high density CRT screen, 8000 lines as I recall, but was not satisfied with the film negative resolution.
Resolution of prints from the negative out of film recorder was vastly inferior to prints from the original negative. Tonality, however, was pretty good, although it was 8-bit.

I expect that inkjet contact negs would give excellent resolution in printing, but I am curious, did Pictorico film produce any newton rings in contact with the paper?

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2272 on: August 22, 2016, 12:42:16 pm »

No newton at all.  I think you only get that when both media are more glossy.  Also, the 'emulsion' side of Pictorico feels quite matte, so I suppose that helps.  I don't think I'd try to enlarge these, but contact prints seem fine.  I'm curious how they'd print to silver paper.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2273 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »

Further Manin' Up, ok Coots?

Cool house in Florida

and a vignette.  The background was feeling a little flat so I put my MultiSpot through the window.

-CB

bcooter

« Reply #2274 on: August 22, 2016, 03:28:31 pm »

Further Manin' Up, ok Coots?

-CB

Thanks CB, that's steppn' up.

In the spirit of the Olympics.

Asafa Powell gold medal winner of the  men's 4x100 in Rio.

We shot and produced this in Kingston's National Stadium.

I like Asafa but you quickly realize that being one of the fastest 4 men in the world in Jamaica is like being one of the Beatles at the peak of their career, or in other words the Rock Stars of Jamaica.

Rock stars aren't that wild about early morning calls,

We were suppose to have him for most of the day, but by 10 am no Asaffa.   Our producer Ann Rutherford knew his address so we "visited" him had a "discussion" of how hard work is good for everyone" and to keep it positive lets say "directed" him to the stadium.

(For all concerned I've left out the more "fun" details) but we got it done, actually a lot more than these images so all is good.  Asafa is beautiful, huge, could play linebacker in the NFL he's so large, but man when he wants to he can fly.

Since we shot about 10 sessions in less than a few hours, we worked so fast that in one image the gaffers and grip were down the field in the shot, so we retouched them out.   One image we shot so fast we didn't have time to hang stands so the assistants are holding the lights in the shot, then we shot background plates to mask them out.   

Not the best way to work, but given the load, the fact we had to shoot video interviews, you do what you gotta do.

Anyway . . .

BC

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:33:14 pm by bcooter »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #2275 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:13 pm »

BC - This set of images really resonates with me.  Love it and the background stories on how to move quickly enough on set with one of the fastest men in the world.
The use of the lines of the track and the stand...brilliant.

Here's a project we completed in April this year, that's just started to hit the editorials.

We had two days in this office fitout (over 11 floors) designed for one of the largest Telcos in Canada - Telus.
Our client wanted to showcase their work, the art they had helped curate and describe the numerous ways in which the office environment has been laid out to allow for the flexible workforce that Telus has (ie, lots of hotdesking and mobile staff)

The hero locations were the Sky boxes, which were two cantilevered boxes within another box that is cantilevered over the street - they provided 4 meeting rooms, one within each and one on top of each.

It was a hectic couple of days running between floors with some key moments when the light was just beautifully soft just prior to becoming amazingly harsh as it beat in the glass of the boxes.
On the second day we had two assistants and from memory a selection of background talent working as staff - they told me it was much more comfortable than being on a movie set...

Lots of fun, lots of running, but not as fast as Asafa.

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2276 on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:32 pm »

That is awesome! 

What kind of printer are you using and did you need to buy special inks? 

Also, what paper?  I always liked Stonehenge; I found it to react very nicely. 

It's been years since I did any alternative printing and would love to get back into it.  I bought a book on doing Chrysotypes (gold printing) some years ago, but just did not have the facilities to develop negatives.  Maybe if inkjet works well, I could convert digital captures to negs. 

Not seeing the etch marking for the film type is kind of weird though.

Joe, the best way to do this is with Piezography inks, 7 shades of grey.  You print with QuadTone Rip which is only on the Epsons.  We used a 9880.  I'll prolly pick up a 7880 for this.  We tested on Arches Platine and the new Hahnemuhle Platinum paper, like the German sheets a little better and went with that.  This older gentleman was making his negs from iPhone shots and the prints were fracking gorgeous.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2277 on: August 22, 2016, 08:28:12 pm »

CB, sounds like you are having fun with it. 

When I use to live in the Hudson Valley, the International Center for Photography in Woodstock use to have a photo solon every 3rd Thursday, and I am pretty sure they still do.  There was a photographer who was very active named Craig Barber.  He converted a suit case into a pinhole camera, shot with 16x20 sheet film and made huge palladium/platinum prints. 

If you ever get to check out his work, it is very nice. 

bcooter

« Reply #2278 on: August 22, 2016, 11:04:42 pm »

CB,

Most folks in these parts talk pixels, most clients talk costs but you back it up with imagery.  Being this good as fast as your doing it isn't hard, it is impossible and you go past the impossible.

Like they said in Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards". 

Big fan of your work and I pride myself for spotting talent.

Your Pro.

BC
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:09:50 pm by bcooter »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2279 on: August 23, 2016, 01:02:47 am »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing image and knowledge!

Best regards
Erik

Calla.  Shot on Fp4+ 4x5.  Platinum / Palladium print via inkjet neg.

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 147   Go Up