Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1207044 times)

Shanghai_Phil

• Philippe Roy
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2160 on: June 15, 2016, 01:12:34 am »

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the forum here. So I figured I would jump in by showing some of my work, I think it is probably the best way to allow you guys to know me a little better. :)

I'm a Canadian photographer, now based in Shanghai (China) and do mostly commercial and advertising photography. (lifestyle and still-life).

I had no watches in my portfolio, so these three shots are a recent test to get a bit of creative juices flowing.

****EDIT:  feel free to criticize and share your thoughts please! :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:09:30 pm by Shanghai_Phil »
Montreal Commercial photographer based in Shanghai (China)
www.philippe-roy.com

pearlstreet

« Reply #2161 on: June 16, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the forum here. So I figured I would jump in by showing some of my work, I think it is probably the best way to allow you guys to know me a little better. :)

I'm a Canadian photographer, now based in Shanghai (China) and do mostly commercial and advertising photography. (lifestyle and still-life).

I had no watches in my portfolio, so these three shots are a recent test to get a bit of creative juices flowing.

****EDIT:  feel free to criticize and share your thoughts please! :)

Beautiful. How were these lit? Very beautiful work.

Sharon

Shanghai_Phil

• Philippe Roy
« Reply #2162 on: June 17, 2016, 12:08:19 am »

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm attaching a behind the scenes photo here. You can see a bit of the set-up we had, this is for the Bell Ross. Each shot though is a combo of 5 different exposures - or more. I used an array of diffuser panels, reflector boards (foamcore) and flags.
www.philippe-roy.com

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2163 on: June 29, 2016, 10:36:17 am »

A short retrospective

Shanghai_Phil

• Philippe Roy
« Reply #2164 on: June 29, 2016, 11:28:14 pm »

Beautiful collection Michael!

A short retrospective

www.philippe-roy.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2165 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:51 am »

A few details from a house we shot in Florida last month.

Goddamn sand flies, Man.  I hate those things.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2166 on: June 30, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »

Beautiful collection Michael!
Thank you Phil:)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2167 on: July 03, 2016, 11:33:27 pm »

Although the majority of the time not advisable, in some cases leaving the back label on can add an extra layer to the image. 

Bottoms up.   :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:15:04 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Sean H

« Reply #2168 on: July 04, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »

Chris: Gorgeous colours -- cyan/greens and reflections in the small windows in the first Florida house photo and of course the larger reflection of the whole room adds to the visual experience. The shots of the stairs made the wood seem particularly rich (in a good way). I liked the picture of the lights suspended from the ceiling; that looked like a gallery-quality shot.

A few details from a house we shot in Florida last month.

Goddamn sand flies, Man.  I hate those things.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2169 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:14 am »

So nice to come back after all this time to find the top "usual suspects" and some new posting exquisite work! I have to admit, I just jumped to this page. I think I have missed maybe 30 pages?  But its nice to be back and see these.

I'm surprised Shanghai_Phil, that you use a DSLR for such work. And 5 exposures for DOF and such is pretty darn minimal as well!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Shanghai_Phil

• Philippe Roy
« Reply #2170 on: July 08, 2016, 10:37:47 pm »

Hi Phil!

First, nice to meet you!

We were doing this for portfolio, not for a client... so that leaves us a bit more flexible in using exactly what we want to get the shot.

We actually only used a DSLR on the Bell Ross as I wanted rapid fire action, it's still mounted on a technical camera system, just acting as the back is all. Basically, with the paint leaking all over the watch I didn't know how much time I had to wait until I got the perfect shot, and there was no re-dos on that... we only had one chance. So a DSLR in this specific situation makes perfect sense, even though we own two medium format backs.

The 5 exposures were not for depth of field, I'm not sure I said I was doing exposure stacking... but at any rate, it was strictly for lighting purposes. Except for the Bell Ross, where it's actually three different paint shots, the lighting on the watch was almost a one-shot-deal.

So nice to come back after all this time to find the top "usual suspects" and some new posting exquisite work! I have to admit, I just jumped to this page. I think I have missed maybe 30 pages?  But its nice to be back and see these.

I'm surprised Shanghai_Phil, that you use a DSLR for such work. And 5 exposures for DOF and such is pretty darn minimal as well!
www.philippe-roy.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2171 on: July 09, 2016, 10:07:29 am »

Some Wallets. 

Shot these in studio about two weeks ago.  The client wanted geometric shapes and backgrounds with softer lighting, but I was able to persuade them to make the images a little more contrasty then catalog work.  Very different then anything I have done so far; pays to hire a good stylist for shoots like this!

Would love to know which group shot you guys think works better. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:10:30 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2172 on: July 09, 2016, 10:07:52 am »

And another. 

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2173 on: July 09, 2016, 10:59:24 am »

I like group 2a a lot, but the wallets look a bit on the dark side. Maybe pushing exposure a bit would make them cleared!

The card wallets one is a very close second.
Instagram (updated often)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2174 on: July 09, 2016, 11:26:57 am »

They would all work nicely in the "abstracts" thread,  ;)
but my vote is also for 2a.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2175 on: July 10, 2016, 07:32:10 am »

Thanks Guys, I thought the second worked the best too, and the card wallets is my favorite.  The others are nice, but I think that one came out the best. 

The wallets are a little dark for my liking.  I did add a layer in C1 for each wallet and pushed them about a 1/4 to a 1/3 brighter then the surface, and also increased the clarity to bring out the texture.  The client really did not like either effect and we went back to keeping everything how it was when shot. 

For these (my own usage), I did add an high pass filter to simulate the clarity effect.  I may brighten the wallets before posting them as well. 

Sean H

« Reply #2176 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:43 am »

They all look good and artistic. In some cases, such as the last one, one could not be sure that they are wallets without explanatory text. However, the advantage of 2a is that they expose in a couple of cases, the inside of the wallets and how they are organized. This may help with people who are interested in finding out more about the product. Excellent photos/art, by the way.

Thanks Guys, I thought the second worked the best too, and the card wallets is my favorite.  The others are nice, but I think that one came out the best. 

The wallets are a little dark for my liking.  I did add a layer in C1 for each wallet and pushed them about a 1/4 to a 1/3 brighter then the surface, and also increased the clarity to bring out the texture.  The client really did not like either effect and we went back to keeping everything how it was when shot. 

For these (my own usage), I did add an high pass filter to simulate the clarity effect.  I may brighten the wallets before posting them as well.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2177 on: July 10, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »

Jerry, I'm going to get pretty critical because you've got a really solid composition on this, which makes me wish you'd carried that level of technique through the whole process. Instead, I feel that you've handled the shot somewhat sloppily.

I've benefitted so much from the 20 years I spent at Hedrich Blessing and because of their nearly century old legacy, I feel the need to maintain really high standards in Architectural Photography.  I sincerely hope that you and any other's reading this will benefit from my critiques.

I'll start with lighting.  It appears from the shadow on the ground that you shot this in the early afternoon.  That would make this side of the house an East face, correct?  Here, you've lost a wonderful opportunity to shoot the house at sunrise with golden sun lighting up the eastern facade.  Instead, you've shot it with a rather arbitrary concern for lighting and used HDR to compensate.  This leaves the geometry of the architecture feeling quite flat and the file over processed.

As for the processing, I'm not even going to get into HDR, but rather just the retouching... it's pretty obvious that you've painted the grass green.  You can almost get away with this, but you've painted that color not just into the mulch in the lower left, but also onto the building face.  This feels like hurried retouching that doesn't show a lot of respect for the architecture.

I apologize if this all comes off as a little harsh, but you're shooting with, what, over $50k in camera gear and the building doesn't even have any sun on it!  You could have achieved far superior results with a Fuji XT1 at dawn. 

I hope this can provide some positive direction as you move forward and I wish you luck in D.C.!

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #2178 on: July 10, 2016, 02:08:23 pm »

They all look good and artistic. In some cases, such as the last one, one could not be sure that they are wallets without explanatory text. However, the advantage of 2a is that they expose in a couple of cases, the inside of the wallets and how they are organized. This may help with people who are interested in finding out more about the product. Excellent photos/art, by the way.

I agree with the above. I think it is easier to see that they are wallets in 2a, and it tells more about their function and shows the different sides. In the others, I think the wallets tend to look like just another element in the designs.

Rob C

« Reply #2179 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:13 pm »

More lifestyle from SM campaign.

BC

Beautiful. In every way.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 147   Go Up