Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1207450 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2040 on: March 17, 2016, 04:52:01 pm »

Thaks, Joe:) By the way, if anyone would like to attend, let me know I have passes I can give out.

Large prints look more and more appetizing:) I've never heard of printing on vinyl, is this for the exterior display?

Joe Towner

« Reply #2041 on: March 17, 2016, 11:56:31 pm »

I've never heard of printing on vinyl, is this for the exterior display?
Vinyl is what's used for window signage - they churn out a lot.  It's pretty slick, and would work for a backlight setup.  If I were DT/CI doing an 'exposure to medium format' event, I'd have a serious large format printer onsite.  Give folks a 1' wide strip of 54"/64" paper with their image on it, just to give it a scale, would really have them considering what's possible.
t: @PNWMF

Rob C

« Reply #2042 on: March 18, 2016, 05:46:24 am »

Michael, i could write a book on where your trying to go, but this isn't it.

Your way too hooked up in what you like, without a clue of what serious people pay for.

IMO

BC

Almost the story of my own life, too. Fortunately, I managed to mix it just enough to pay the bills, too. What worries me is living too long, longer than the bank allows since it stopped paying interest. Well interest to me, that is, not a multi-million-pound bonus to each of those who lost me my interest in the first place. However, they have certainly gained my interest in them!

But good luck to Michael, anyway.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2043 on: March 18, 2016, 09:04:58 am »

I'm personally way too hooked up in what Michael likes, too, but I don't have the moolah to be a "serious person."   :(
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2044 on: March 18, 2016, 10:41:49 am »

I'm personally way too hooked up in what Michael likes, too, but I don't have the moolah to be a "serious person."   :(

Then take a leaf from my book: learn to be serious about the moolah even if, as per my example, about it's lack!

Seious hijacking going on here - better quit whilst the quitting's good!

;-)

Rob

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2045 on: March 19, 2016, 06:59:38 am »

James, your killing me, so please save me:) tell me more!

Kaypee

« Reply #2046 on: March 19, 2016, 06:58:38 pm »

In this business the ground is moving all the time and perception is reality, regardless of the reality.

You can show 45 architectural photographs and two nudes and I promise you'll be labeled as a someone who shoots nudes.

You can show 100 color images, but 10 beautiful black and white portraits and your the black and white guy.

I'm not being negative because a few rare clients will get the fact that your versatile, but most will label you, usually where you don't want to be.

Now the strange thing is an AD can work on a beer campaign, coming from a soap campaign, working on a jeans campaign and nobody blinks.

Anyway my point is find your market, even if it's more than one genre and make sure the market is viable.  You may need to build separate micro sites not to confuse your market, or just bomb them with a huge body of work, it really depends on the client.

There are no hard and fast rules, but most of the time you will not shoot what you love, you'll shoot what the client needs, though you better love it or it will show.   I know, confusing.

Rob C is an exception.   When fashion wasn't working he shot semi nude calendars and did them very well but he defined a market found a client(s).  If you look at his work he really was shooting the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition before there was a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.

He had success and it wasn't luck, it was work,  but he had a market.

Define your market and always have a compelling story of why you should be chosen.

I could write a book on this, but it's not a good idea in an open public forum, though I wish you the best because your heart is in it.

IMO

BC

But to keep the thread about photos, here's three recent

Staying with photos: Nice work, particularly the top one. Can Inask where you would start with post for that stlye. It's not something I do but would be interested to hear how the effect is created.

Kaypee

« Reply #2047 on: March 19, 2016, 07:45:45 pm »

Thanks. Interesting insight. I was wondering if you were using high pass filter as they do look different but have a similar look. Nice and contrasty but keeping the details too.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2048 on: March 19, 2016, 08:48:53 pm »

This thread is a goldmine.
Instagram (updated often)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2049 on: March 19, 2016, 09:07:20 pm »

This thread is a goldmine.
Yes, it is!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2050 on: March 20, 2016, 06:40:53 am »

In this business the ground is moving all the time and perception is reality, regardless of the reality.

You can show 45 architectural photographs and two nudes and I promise you'll be labeled as a someone who shoots nudes.

You can show 100 color images, but 10 beautiful black and white portraits and your the black and white guy.

I'm not being negative because a few rare clients will get the fact that your versatile, but most will label you, usually where you don't want to be.

Now the strange thing is an AD can work on a beer campaign, coming from a soap campaign, working on a jeans campaign and nobody blinks.

Anyway my point is find your market, even if it's more than one genre and make sure the market is viable.  You may need to build separate micro sites not to confuse your market, or just bomb them with a huge body of work, it really depends on the client.

There are no hard and fast rules, but most of the time you will not shoot what you love, you'll shoot what the client needs, though you better love it or it will show.   I know, confusing.

Rob C is an exception.   When fashion wasn't working he shot semi nude calendars and did them very well but he defined a market found a client(s).  If you look at his work he really was shooting the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition before there was a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.

He had success and it wasn't luck, it was work,  but he had a market.

Define your market and always have a compelling story of why you should be chosen.

I could write a book on this, but it's not a good idea in an open public forum, though I wish you the best because your heart is in it.

IMO

BC

Markets: and that's where the difficulty always comes from in this business, and you had better always remember that that's what it finally is: business. If you can't get paid for what you do, you'll end up standing in line for relief.

As BC says, I started in fashion and did it for many years, from Scotland, and for much of that time I was a fairly lone fighter, the competition far more interested in shooting whisky bottles and beer cans, if only because that work was more plentiful, made money and fashion didn't turn many west-of-Scotlanders on. For me it was an interest, born of the 50s and made real for me as a gift of the 60s when the northern public consciousness opened up to what was happening down in London, and some local businesses began to thirst for some of the commercial action. And that's where I came in because I was already very interested in that kind of photograph - and girls. The biggest single break (fashion) for me came from a man flown in from Harrods to troubleshoot another of the House of Fraser department stores. I was introduced to him and took along my portfolio, to which he responded by telling me it was just as good as the stuff he'd been used to buying in London. A series of half-page newspaper ads for him followed and was sustained over time, and those, in turn, opened the doors to manufacturers and regular trips abroad doing collections for them, and also my first calendars, conceived as by-products from the same assignments. This Scottish-based activity opened the doors to the International Wool Secretariat (IWS) which, in turn, led to Vogue, more international travel and so on.

And then, almost just as suddenly, everthing changed again and fashion work became as rare as hens' teeth, and I had to find something else I could do with whatever abilities I had developed; it wasn't photographer competiton ended fashion for me, it was the economy, and the surrendering of local clothing manufacture to the Far East, Israel or anywhere else than Scotland - read Britain. Which is where the calendars really came in to save my neck. Until they, too, became victims, this time of PC and even more turbulent financial times, with calendars the most easy things for a big company to do without. I still had stock, but then came digital and the rest, to almost every photographer making something out of stock at that period, is history that would have been far better not written.

The moral really, is that the goalposts are being moved all the time, and things that once gave one the sense of career hardly exist anymore, and that motion certainly does appear to be the final frontier, as it were, and is something that will probably always survive if only because it will have entertainment support systems for seeing it, and people will always crave visual escape from their reality well after print has vanished into Noah's new ark.

More than ever I think you have to find what you are good at, concentrate on it for all you are worth, but retain the ablity to move sideways just enough to guarantee the best chance of continuing to do something.

On the self-promotion aspect: I would use a website strictly as a portfolio for your work desires/achievements, absolutely not as I do, which is little more than a mix of past professional life and present entertainment, as well as a record (for myself) of what I'm doing these days, all in one convenient box that saves me having to hunt around in a variety of HDs. (Also, I live in the hope that it may prove to be more long-term secure than I expect my own digital security to be.) I don't think mixing so-called personal work with paid work in one site is a good idea: it can confuse would-be clients into thinking you don't share their interests closely enough.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:34:46 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #2051 on: March 21, 2016, 05:57:28 am »

"Ok Rob C, show your most beautiful color image shot on kodachrome . . . make them dream."

Holy shit, Cooter, that's a tall order - on both counts!

Seriously, I can't actually do that for many reasons, the main one being I love all my children equally - the only differences being in the memories they bring of when they were being born.

What I can do is post this one, which is Kodachrome 64 Pro, shot on either Nikon F or F2 via a 3.5/135 Nikkor I had at the time. It was done in the gardens of the Montfleury Hotel in Cannes, and ended up (in colour) as the cover shot of the calendar we were producing for Tennent's Lager (hence the T logo). It was one in the series: Mallorca; Florida; Rhodes; France; Sardinia and finally a world tour shoot for their centenary edition. (The 'blad look of the format comes from a period when some of us in LuLa were playing at Hasselfakes...)

I remember the moment well, because my wife and Denise Perry, the model, had been discussing the perfect breasts of the Middle Eastern clientele posing competitively by the pool; the two were convinced that all of them on parade shared the same plastics maestro (not my wife and not the model who were the real deal: I can vouch for the one and definitely think similarly of the other).  It also makes me wonder whether the plastic ladies would have been separated from their heads if enjoying the sunshine in a similar fashion back home...

It's those sorts of memories that make the life that brought them feel so good to have experienced. I say nothing about the feeling when you realise it's all over. I shall wink bravely and think of making more OOF street pictures instead. ;-)

Rob C

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #2052 on: March 21, 2016, 07:03:42 am »

Lovely, lovely images, Rob.  I wish you had a book I could buy.

You too, James.  The wisdom you so frequently share here, were it distilled into a volume one could hold in one's hands, would be worth vastly more than latest do-everything-magic-camera that, alas, gets most the attention around here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:24:28 am by Jager »

Rob C

« Reply #2053 on: March 21, 2016, 11:10:29 am »

Lovely, lovely images, Rob.  I wish you had a book I could buy.

You too, Russell.  The wisdom you so frequently share here, were it distilled into a volume one could hold in one's hands, would be worth vastly more than latest do-everything-magic-camera that, alas, gets most the attention around here.

Man, I wish I had a book I could offer!

Somehow, I can't see Messrs Steidl or Taschen sharing my illusions. Perhaps if you can drum up another twenty thousand like-minded souls to petition (with deposits!) I'm sure either might listen.

Thanks for a very pleasant journey through your website; I like your touch with people and street very much. I find it a genre that makes me nervous to try: I've once or twice shot the passing moment, but find the uncertainty of subject response a bit too heavy to take too often. Truth to tell, the few times I've done it were because I didn't have time to defeat myself by thinking. In an ideal world, where folks looked on the positive side, saw it as a compliment, it would be fun (for me) but sad to say, even the very attractive local kids are out of bounds - not that I've ever tried shooting any - but because of the horrible connotations that child photography now carries on its shoulders. Looking back over historical UK images, so many of them feature slum kids playing in the street with hoops etc. and the sense of joy is palpable, despite or even because of the visible deprivation - the same with material from early NY photography and much Parisian work of the period too. There's something in the faces of children not aware of cameras that's so truthful, and gets to the heart of humanity.

Rob C

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2054 on: March 22, 2016, 12:35:13 am »

James & Rob, thank you. I am pursuing various commercial directions in photography, with a hope that this would be a resilient approach as they all focus on different markets. As James mentioned, I did create microsites that reflect that and they will be further adjusted, purified and improved with every experience I get.

The first one is michaelezra.com, which is the longest existing and is focused on sculptural fine art work and landscapes for collectors, art buyers and those who would like to decorate their place with nudes or landscapes. This is where my participation in ArtExpo comes in this year.

The second in chronological order is timelessme.com focused on painterly photographic portraits for mostly personal clients, families and select corporate.

The third is photovertex.com which covers a variety of business-2-business photography services, covering architecture, interior and (coming up) product photography, virtual  tours, executive headshots with market in variety of small to large/corporate businesses, residential and commercial real estate.

All of these are directions I love in photography, although I do love street photography as well, I don't expect this to get commercial. Photographically, all of the above for me is about making a compelling authentic image, regardless of subject matter. I don't care if its a nude in the architecture shot, I could make that work, as it really is all the same thing... But it is not the same thing to other people, and, James, you point out one of the key problems I always lack in resolving, managing perception of other people:) So.., I have three business cards and I try to restrain myself from mentioning all these directions when talking to most prospective clients as some do get confused that I could shoot a virtual tour of their business interior, get headshots of the management team, then shoot timeless portraits of their families and also help them with a business website:)

All of that aside, I can provide a premium quality service, but the primary challenge I face currently is to find out whom to approach and how to gain their business.

I don't yet know what I got myself info, but I am trying to make this work. Words of advise are always greatly appreciated:)

To be faithful to the thread, here is to spring. Panoramic stitching with 2 Mamiya ZD frames:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:49:03 am by MichaelEzra »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2055 on: March 23, 2016, 11:33:21 pm »

It was a nice weather today and allowed cutting the aluminum panel outside. What a healthy workout!
This print is finally mounted, 6 feet long. The mounting process is interesting. First, a larger piece is cut out from the 4'x8' archival aluminum composite panel. The edges are sanded to avoid damage to the silicone cylinders in the cold mounting press. Then panel is cleaned and washed to remove all aluminum dust. After the protective film is peeled off, the archival double-sided adhesive film gets applied to the painted aluminum surface in the first run through the press. In the second run print with the oversize border gets mounted on top. Only then it is ready for trimming all of the extra stuff around the print, on all 4 sides. When composite aluminum panel is cut with a blade the edge raises a bit. Instead of sanding it off I simply pushed it back in by rolling a smooth metal surface of the cutter handle over the silicone release paper placed over the edge. This gives the edge a clean look. Tomorrow another adventure, cutting the oversize mat for this by hand. There is a computerized mat cutter in the shop, but they all seem to be limited to 60" mat length. And then the second print!
Shot with Samsung Note 5:)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:48:56 am by MichaelEzra »

BobDavid

« Reply #2056 on: March 24, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »

Impressive, Michael!

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2057 on: March 27, 2016, 10:48:59 pm »

Here is bit more detail on how the prints get mounted. I am so lucky that this shop has everything I needed. But most importantly, it has Alex Kreymerman - if you need help with framing or printing, look no further. You get the freedom of doing what you need and help where you need it.

The mat cutting in a large size turned out to be surprisingly simple. This ruler is indispensable, besides protection for hands, it is gentle to the surface, residing on a couple of silicone or some kind of non-slipping rubber cylinders that extend through its entire length. Still, for cutting out the final mounted print from the oversize panel I thought its safer to use silicone release paper from the mounting adhesive film.

Now both are mounted and ready for framing.. as soon as I stop sneezing (what a timing) will sign them and move to this step:)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:36:54 am by MichaelEzra »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2058 on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:37 pm »

this one didn't fit above.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #2059 on: March 28, 2016, 08:37:34 am »

I didn't have time to defeat myself by thinking.

Rob C

That sentence is worthy of much thought!

Kumar
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 147   Go Up