Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1207512 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1880 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »

Two of my favorites

Black Camera

Black Camera

BC

I can se why. Nice images, BC.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #1881 on: December 05, 2015, 01:34:31 am »

What is that "Black Camera" you often refer to, James?

Rob C

« Reply #1882 on: December 05, 2015, 04:11:24 am »

What is that "Black Camera" you often refer to, James?

I think he's just described it (them), Slobodan...

Rob

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #1883 on: December 05, 2015, 06:55:37 am »

I don't know cause we put gaffer tape over logos.

Let me check . . . hold it, opening up a case . .  yep . . . it's black.

BC

LOL!
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #1884 on: December 05, 2015, 07:42:13 am »

Next time use the pink camera, I've heard it's even better!
Instagram (updated often)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1885 on: December 05, 2015, 10:01:00 am »

Most of my cameras are black, so I can't refer to them by color. It's just the little camera, the big camera, or the other camera.
I've sold the real big one and the monster one, since I'm too old to enjoy lugging them around.

The gaffer tape sounds like a good idea. A stripe across the lens might improve my picture taking.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1886 on: December 05, 2015, 11:46:13 am »

That suggestion sounds suspiciously like the one about Norman Parkinson's lucky hats! His solution was sometimes to wear both, the newer one needing the training. No kidding.

Rob C

araucaria

« Reply #1887 on: December 05, 2015, 11:49:51 am »

It's not a bad idea, it would avoid weird conversations with people that are like "huh, mamiya?, is that a chinese camera?" looking down on your camera while holding their mighty 5d mkiii with some 24-200 thing in front. Maybe a canon sticker on the pentax 67 and just say, yes its the new canon 1d mk67, please leave me alone. "can I see some picturesss"

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1888 on: December 05, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »

Or red?

That was a genuine question I asked (about the black camera reference).

If I remember correctly, James was/is shooting with RED cameras, which have a distinct red button. Their latest model is named Raven (another reference to black). I do not know much about the motion camera world, but I do come across some of their ads when going through a photographic magazine. I noticed there Blackmagic cameras.

So pardon me for thinking that he was referring to either one by simply nicknaming it "black camera." Hence my question.

It was a genuine question, no hidden agenda behind it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1889 on: December 05, 2015, 01:52:42 pm »

Or red?

That was a genuine question I asked (about the black camera reference).

If I remember correctly, James was/is shooting with RED cameras, which have a distinct red button. Their latest model is named Raven (another reference to black). I do not know much about the motion camera world, but I do come across some of their ads when going through a photographic magazine. I noticed there Blackmagic cameras.

So pardon me for thinking that he was referring to either one by simply nicknaming it "black camera." Hence my question.

It was a genuine question, no hidden agenda behind it.
Aw, shucks!
I always find your posts much more interesting when you do have a hidden agenda!   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1890 on: December 05, 2015, 03:46:54 pm »

Nice!

Erik

Not so recent but here it goes

Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #1891 on: December 06, 2015, 06:01:34 am »

Anyway, sometimes you use the camera you have to use, sometimes you use the camera you want to use.

Is it the right camera?  Who knows, but it was for me at the time.

I've always taped over camera logos, cause after the main creative brief you always see something through a window of a car or something reflective and nothing shows up like the name of a camera in reverse.

Even if you can retouch it out it looks like a mistake.

Then early on with digital,  clients would have their production manager on set and they asked way to many questions at exactly the wrong time.

So a little bit of black gaff meant less tech conversation.

I do like the thought of small, big and bigger. 

I also understand the thing about Parkinson's hats.  I've usually had two of every camera and I guess it's my broken brain, but one of my REDs I like better than the other, one of my Contax I like better, one of my Canons I like better.

So I'm not sure if what camera matters as long as the camera doesn't stop you.

IMO

BC

Indeed. Taped logos: in a sense, I do it because I dislike looking like a sandwich board man, especially the neckstrap part of the deal. Neither do I subscribe to being an unpaid, walking advertisement for anybody. Pay me propely, I'll wear the biggest log that fits!

For some time I've had this fascination with reflections of life in street windows; as you say, logos always show up, almost as badly as do photographers! I've sometimes been asked about the brand I've hidden, and just say "black', smile and move on. I wouldn't have denied the old 'blads their identity, but then neither would I have thought of taking them walkies down the street!

Nope, your brain's not broken (as if!) - you just tune into the vibe of something. I was exactly the same when I took an F and F2 along on work: they were always interchanged after each film just for mechanical safety insurance - never really needed it - but the F2 felt friendlier, maybe because the edges were less cruel to the hands on long holding, even though the original F was the answer to aspirational dreams at the time. With my two digi ones, the older D200 gets the work and the D700 usually rests the long rest at home. Considering the newer one is technically much better at high ISO, there's no logical explanation other than gut reaction, and that means a helluva lot to me and, I imagine, to most snappers. Just shows that tech-spec isn't always the deciding factor in mindsets preference. Naturally, using cameras for a living is another beast altogether.

What's probably as important is how easy a camera is to use, and for what. For outdoor fashion it was the Nikon, but on one shoot for the IWS I was on the 6x6 and the client told me that she much preferred it when I used the little camera, because I jumped around a lot more and looked more 'creative' and it felt a 'sexier' experience working like that. She was right, but not in the way she thought: on some shoots, you just knew that it wasn't going to be about great images, it was going to be about showing every stitch. Especially in the cases where the client picked a model herself, one you'd never met, and of whose ability you knew zilch. Best make the garments look good, even if a bit unadventurous. There was never time for both attacks, even then.

Quotidian experience, below. Not much call for hi-tech there - just Vaseline and cheap Cokin holder!

Rob C

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:04:57 am by Rob C »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #1892 on: December 06, 2015, 01:33:17 pm »

- just Vaseline and cheap Cokin holder!

Rob C

Vaseline, the poor man's Softar  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #1893 on: December 07, 2015, 04:40:08 am »

Hi Chris,

Not really; I had a Softar 2, I think it was, that worked okay on the 'blads but was a bit too much when used on the Nikons.

The advantage  of Vaseline in a Cokin frame is that you can both rotate the thing, and also apply the Vaseline as and where you see fit, unlike the Softar which is a universal effect on highlights.

The next best thing, on a cold day, is hot breath on the safety filter, but you have to be pretty damned quick to strike when the effect looks just so, otherwise you miss it.

Rob C

Chris Livsey

« Reply #1894 on: December 07, 2015, 06:03:03 am »

The next best thing, on a cold day, is hot breath on the safety filter, but you have to be pretty damned quick to strike when the effect looks just so, otherwise you miss it.

Rob C

Rob,
I'll try that, perhaps need an assistant out of shot to do the repeat blowing !!
I know 'blad wedding photographers here used vaseline for a clear centre spot effect when that was all the rage, about the time babies began sitting in flowers as well. Happy days pre photoshop.
I should spend more time experimenting with the big filters, so much more versatile.

Rob C

« Reply #1895 on: December 07, 2015, 10:24:05 am »

Rob,
I'll try that, perhaps need an assistant out of shot to do the repeat blowing !!
I know 'blad wedding photographers here used vaseline for a clear centre spot effect when that was all the rage, about the time babies began sitting in flowers as well. Happy days pre photoshop.
I should spend more time experimenting with the big filters, so much more versatile.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

That's about 75%!

The remaining 25% lives (today) mostly inside the magic box with the electric plugs, whereas before, it lived in a sea of solutions.

I'm beginning to feel, as my time wears on, that that remaining 25% is the crux of the whole matter, as long as the pic includes no people.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1896 on: December 07, 2015, 12:25:23 pm »

Vaseline, shmaseline  :)  The best contraption i"ve seen is a single fishing line across the lens. Never tried it, though.

Rob C

« Reply #1897 on: December 07, 2015, 01:24:51 pm »

Hi Rob,

a small piece of thin stocking in front of the lens. With a cigarette you can burn a hole in the stocking right where you need sharpness. Unfortunately I don't smoke. Consequently I need an assistant who does. Stockings come in different colors and thicknesses. So you can adjust for color and blur strength. Much cooler than using Photoshop. But I admit: they look better on girls legs, than in front of lenses,
http://www.agentprovocateur.com/gb_en/fully-fashioned-stockings-black

Best,
Johannes

1. "Consequently I need an assistant who does (smoke)."

Be careful what you wish for - she may burst into flames.

2. "Stockings come in different colors and thicknesses."

My memory isn't that bad, but thanks, anyway. :-) Think denier.

3. "they look better on girls legs, than in front of lenses,"

Give that man a medal! Couldn't agree more - and far more attractive than bare, or even those hideous tights that have come into the lexicon. There is pressing need for all of those little accessories that are invented to sweeten the Christmas pudding!

Rob C

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #1898 on: December 07, 2015, 02:43:22 pm »

Vaseline, shmaseline  :)  The best contraption i"ve seen is a single fishing line across the lens. Never tried it, though.

You can also take a clear filter and with a very sharp knife make a thin vertical cut to get those JJ Abrams flares going!
Instagram (updated often)

ynp

• http://
« Reply #1899 on: December 07, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »

Absolutely beautiful!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 147   Go Up