Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205083 times)

fredjeang2

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2013, 02:13:32 pm »

Johnny doesn't seem to like the "new" London very much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SkUPM_T7FE

He's not wrong in many things though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:15:25 pm by fredjeang2 »

bcooter

« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2013, 02:46:34 pm »

I've been going to London since I could get on a plane.

At first I found it so different than anything I knew and I loved it.

Then there was a period where I believe the country looked too inward and was a little xenophobic.

Now I think it's one of the world's great cities.  It's modern and traditional and has embraced almost every culture.

Sure there's problems, (too many damn street cameras) and driving like I drive is expensive, actually all of London is quite expensive, but it's a great city.

IMO

BC

fredjeang2

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2013, 03:22:28 pm »

Yes, London is a great city in many aspects. Like Johnny Rotten, I can't really relate to the glass buildings stuff they overdid. I like Foster, I lived years ago in a building designed by him, but too much bad Fosterism in the new arquitecture. The tower really looks like a dildo and Johnny's scooter helmet is spot-on. I particularly hate the hugly "Brighton's" Wheel. But it's a vibrant place.

The expensiveness was always there, but they went crazy in the late 80's. A friend of mine who passed away, suddenly went rich after he sold his appartment in London because the district he was living turned fashionable. He stopped to work with all the money and left London to live in a indian ocean island near the sea the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:26:50 pm by fredjeang2 »

Rob C

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2013, 06:25:45 am »

Yes, London is a great city in many aspects. Like Johnny Rotten, I can't really relate to the glass buildings stuff they overdid. I like Foster, I lived years ago in a building designed by him, but too much bad Fosterism in the new arquitecture. The tower really looks like a dildo and Johnny's scooter helmet is spot-on. I particularly hate the hugly "Brighton's" Wheel. But it's a vibrant place.

The expensiveness was always there, but they went crazy in the late 80's. A friend of mine who passed away, suddenly went rich after he sold his appartment in London because the district he was living turned fashionable. He stopped to work with all the money and left London to live in a indian ocean island near the sea the rest of his life.

Well that was considerate; usually, they move up to the nicer parts of Scotland or out to Cornwall and Wales and the locals there have to live with their parents for the rest of their lives because they themselves can't afford to buy locally anymore.

In many ways, it's the same in Mallorca: many farms were sold off and became big gardens for foreign industrialists or estate agents... and who made the money? It isn't that easy to tell: the ex-farmers who sold were long ago outwitted by inflation and can no lpnger buy back what they thought they'd sold at a huge profit, and those of us who bought at those prices now can't sell without going broke because just like the washing machine when you are in a hurry and need to go out, the system’s ever at the wrong place on the programme. I know for a fact that all of my life I have been too late for the best deals by a regular gap of ten years. Would I have traded being ten years older in order to have been able to take advantage of the correct space/time frame that I should have occupied? Probably, yes. Better older than feeling a fish out of water most of the time, and one can’t escape the fact that if you are going to get, say, eighty years in total, then what difference does it make when you spend it? You probably get the same balance of good and bad regardless; but maybe, if you have choice,  you’d get to be in synch!

I enjoyed the Johnny Rotten video, for which, thanks.

Though a far smaller place, Glasgow is just the same as London appears to be. I was last back there eight-and-a-half years ago for a funeral. I hardly knew how to drive around the city anymore: the streets have disappeared or been changed to one-ways; the  compass of landmarks has vanished behind new structures or been totally turned into history. Even the local park where I used to walk the pooch for an hour twice a day, rain, sun, freezing fog or snow has altered beyond spiritual recognition. The pond where I shot pix of models in rowing boats has lost its charm and sense of calm, and last time I was there it offered all the glory and solitude of walking around a huge puddle in a city. Perhaps that’s what opening up the world to everyone does: ruins those moments of reflection, floating swans (some have been beaten to death there in recent years) and proud mums pushing high prams around the water’s edge as they point out nature to the sleeping babes. (I can vouch for the latter from memory and snapshot.) It’s all fucking gone, along with the immediate post-war boom that created so much of that one-time prosperity. Maybe that’s why wars exist: to reboot economies. The generally unrealised natural way to prolong life on Earth could well exist in just this type of human pruning: perhaps it’s why we have not quite outgrown the world’s resources – yet; perhaps that’s why, as a species, we have this built-in structure of gratuitous violence: it keeps us culled to sustainable levels.

Have a nice day.

Rob C

bcooter

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2013, 06:33:22 am »

Damn Rob,

Don't you think with all this over positive, joy and sunshine outlook you might be sidestepping reality just a bit?

Ground yourself man.

BC

MrSmith

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:40 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2013, 09:31:34 am »

... I've all but given up trying to get you to look forward rather than backwards, but nevertheless still live in hope.

Rob, just remember that today you are younger than you'll ever be ;)

P.S. If only you could forget that you are, at the same time, older than you've ever been :)

Rob C

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2013, 10:39:49 am »

Gentlemen, gentleman, I simply can't find my tinted glasses these days!

I see reality where once I didn't is all. Or, as likely, the reality that I see today as a negative turn in the world state is the only reality our younger members know, and so natural youth prevents the comparisons with earlier realities from being made which is only normal, but if memory is long, then there's no hiding place from the knowledge of how it was.

One only has to consider how fast food has become the norm of many... I remember vividly coming home after midnight from a long stint in the darkroom and my wife having a gorgeous fillet steak, chips and beautiful fresh vegetables ready for me to enjoy! Today, that would either return to choke me to death in my sleep or give me another heart attack.

Frankly, there's little that a generous lottery win wouldn't help relieve: time spent drifting through a list of the Relais & Châteaux establishments would certainly contribute to the adoption of a new set of shades... dammit, might even go turncoat and buy Canon and a 17mm Tilter/Shifter!

Just think of me as an old bottle, and then forget new wines.

;-)

Rob C

fredjeang2

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2013, 10:57:24 am »

One only has to consider how fast food has become the norm of many...

This, for example, is just one part of a reality in wich we can decide to focus-on, or not. It's not a universal truth.
US has a HUGE problem with obesity. I've never seen so many obese people per meter-square anywhere else and the last time i was it litterally shocked me how bad it incresed to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes soon a US governement strategical concern. It of course has to do with garbage food habits, not to do with richness, with some first world obliged decadence.
Simply look at the japanese. Top developped country, you'd have hard time to find some obese people in the streets.
Genes? No, simply look at what they eat. They don't eat bloody burgers, Coca Cola and donuts, no.
Even the UK fish and ships with vinager is a sweet joke compared to the US industrial food habits.

Sorry, didn't mean fish&ships but fish&chips
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:13:39 am by fredjeang2 »

Rob C

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2013, 02:05:50 pm »

This, for example, is just one part of a reality in wich we can decide to focus-on, or not. It's not a universal truth.
US has a HUGE problem with obesity. I've never seen so many obese people per meter-square anywhere else and the last time i was it litterally shocked me how bad it incresed to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes soon a US governement strategical concern. It of course has to do with garbage food habits, not to do with richness, with some first world obliged decadence.
Simply look at the japanese. Top developped country, you'd have hard time to find some obese people in the streets.
Genes? No, simply look at what they eat. They don't eat bloody burgers, Coca Cola and donuts, no.
Even the UK fish and ships with vinager is a sweet joke compared to the US industrial food habits.

Sorry, didn't mean fish&ships but fish&chips

Well, I can tell you the Britain is now offically the worst country in Europe for the weight problem, and problem it is, because as they tell us, the Health Service won't be able to cope with the results. And that will affect everybody, regardless of how diet-conscious they may be.

I hate to say it, but Mac and the rest do good business in Spain... the Mac carparks we passed in France always looked pretty busy, but that might be because of the early lunch hours there...

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »

Hi Rob,

What has that to do with your post? I don't know. It just came to my mind, when I read your post.

AND. Man – am I jealous about the images you took in your past. All these beautiful girls on the beach. Which brings me back to the image of the espresso machine. I originally wanted to post: "This is what I see, when I wake up in the morning." (I hope I'm not banned from the forum now.) I think the french would say: "Je me suis réveillé sous un arbre". Is that right  fredjeang2?

Best,
Johannes

Hi,

Well, I’m perfectly happy that your reply wasn’t strictly on topic; most interesting posts I read are not: it’s the development of the idea and where it takes one that interests me in this posting business. It’s exactly how it often works for me: someone writes something and that sparks a memory or an attitude, and away I go.

My old images? Make you a bit envious? Shit, I envy myself these days. Where the hell did it all go? I know where it went: political correctness killed it all, the bespoke calendars and the stock side of it too. It’s the universal problem of too many eggs in one basket, to which there is but a single valid solution: find that one, enormous egg and hope for the best! Guess I didn’t quite realise the writing on the wall at the time.

;-)

Rob C

MrSmith

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:47 pm »

England is full of obese people, you really notice it when you leave London for the provinces, I'm a 'middle aged'  29in waist 6footer who years ago would be considered 'normal' but now I'm looked at as undernourished (I have a healthy appetite) when I was at school there was 1 'fat kid' now 30% are obese.

Rob C

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »

Damn Rob,

Don't you think with all this over positive, joy and sunshine outlook you might be sidestepping reality just a bit?

Ground yourself man.

BC

Hate to tell you: I was not exaggerating at all. My old city has vanished. Perhaps it was just small enough still to be personal; it was certainly very ugly in parts, but there was also a charm, even in the bad weather and smog. There was charm in looking out of the window at the silent snow falling in the glow of the lights across our road; I can remember driving back home in the yellow fog a few times, unable to see anything much at all, but happy to follow the tramlines that took me exactly where I had to go; was a time I could park in Buchanan Street, right in front of my client's House of Fraser flagship store. Then they introduced 'pedestrianisation' and blew the whole city centre away.

There are a lot of empty shops along Sauchiehall Street.

You live in a new country; perhaps there hasn't been time for a sense of decay, of the best being behind it, to accrue. But, I suspect that the 50s were, overall, probably the best the US will see. I hope I'm mistaken.

Rob C

fredjeang2

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2013, 08:54:42 pm »

England is full of obese people, you really notice it when you leave London for the provinces, I'm a 'middle aged'  29in waist 6footer who years ago would be considered 'normal' but now I'm looked at as undernourished (I have a healthy appetite) when I was at school there was 1 'fat kid' now 30% are obese.

Well, I can tell you the Britain is now offically the worst country in Europe for the weight problem, and problem it is, because as they tell us, the Health Service won't be able to cope with the results. And that will affect everybody, regardless of how diet-conscious they may be.

I hate to say it, but Mac and the rest do good business in Spain... the Mac carparks we passed in France always looked pretty busy, but that might be because of the early lunch hours there...

Rob C

THIS is the cure, beleive me.

and for the ones who really can't deal with japanese food, may this will convince you?

Come-on! eating raw is healphy. Another one for the most recalcitrants.

Now....

AT YOUR OWN RISKS

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:07:39 pm by fredjeang2 »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2013, 11:40:48 pm »

Oh dear, how can anyone top Fred's post? Even Rob?

And I've been thinking of writing a new best-selling weight-loss book based on my own experiences: It will be called the Kidney Stone Weight-Loss Program. I have succeeded in losing ten pounds during the last two weeks since the Kidney Stone hit. Maybe I'm ready to try the Japanese diet now...

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2013, 04:47:48 am »

As I sometimes suspected, daily bread and silver cutlery are not necessities; I'd be happy to go on a fuller diet and eat with my fingers. Succulent.

Rob C

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2013, 01:25:08 pm »

fredjeang2 THANK YOU!

I can finally imagine myself as a food photographer!

and for the ones who really can't deal with japanese food, may this will convince you?

Come-on! eating raw is healphy. Another one for the most recalcitrants.

Now....

AT YOUR OWN RISKS

Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »

Not so fast, my friend!

While the prospect of eating sushi as served in the attached photographs is surely tempting (for a different reason though ;)), it shall be noted that:

Supermarket sushi is much more like typical fast food than you'd think, with a couple of California rolls packing as many calories and twice as much sugar as a Big Mac and French fries from McDonald's.

as per this article.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2013, 03:00:43 pm »

But I've never seen supermarket sushi that looked at all like Fredjeang2's.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Codger

« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »

Probably a California Trader Joe's.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 147   Go Up