Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two from San Francisco  (Read 3396 times)

James Clark

Two from San Francisco
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »

I just spent 2 days shooting in and around the Golden Gate recreational area.  I could have spent weeks, I think.  The area in and around SF has got to be one of the most engaging places to shoot in the entire country, and I didn't even get outside the area between Golden Gate park and the Marin headlands.  Yosemite, Napa, the PCH coast... what a treasure trove.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Two from San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »

Love that second one..That's a great shot all the way around.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:16 pm »

Love that second one..That's a great shot all the way around.

Well, yes, but...

The wave gives dynamism to the static bridge and the shadow of the upright is good. I'm not keen on the huge boulder in the centre, though.

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »

Great composition in both images, very nice.

But to my eye image 1 looks just a tad over processed, not so much so, but none the less it looks a little bit like the effect you see when several images have been exposure blended in Photomatix. Also image 2 has some slight darkening or colour/tone bleed and blurring effects going on around the centre of the bridge and the drop cables and the top of the right tower, again nothing too bad, but again it looks a bit like the kind of thing that Photomatix creates.

But as I said, very nice images with good use of subject composition.

Dave.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:42:33 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:53:43 pm »

Whoever chose the color of that bridge did all photographers a favor.

Good timing with this shot – with the light coming from that direction, I like that the towering shadow shows on the opposite shore. I'll have to remember that next time I head over there.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

James Clark

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »

Well, yes, but...

The wave gives dynamism to the static bridge and the shadow of the upright is good. I'm not keen on the huge boulder in the centre, though.

Jeremy

I'll have a chat with whomever put that there ;)

James Clark

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:56 pm »

Great composition in both images, very nice.

But to my eye image 1 looks just a tad over processed, not so much so, but none the less it looks a little bit like the effect you see when several images have been exposure blended in Photomatix. Also image 2 has some slight darkening or colour/tone bleed and blurring effects going on around the centre of the bridge and the drop cables and the top of the right tower, again nothing too bad, but again it looks a bit like the kind of thing that Photomatix creates.

But as I said, very nice images with good use of subject composition.

Dave.

Thanks for the input.  They're both single exposure shots - no blending at all.  I suspect you might be seeing some effects of jpeg compression, particularly in the second with regard to the color bleed. 

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:29 pm »

I just spent 2 days shooting in and around the Golden Gate recreational area.  I could have spent weeks, I think.  The area in and around SF has got to be one of the most engaging places to shoot in the entire country, and I didn't even get outside the area between Golden Gate park and the Marin headlands.  Yosemite, Napa, the PCH coast... what a treasure trove.

Hey James,

Awesome shots! Love the Golden Gate shot with the water. I've been living in San Francisco for the past year and I'm always blown away by how amazing the area is to shoot!

Graham
Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com

James Clark

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »

I'll have a chat with whomever put that there ;)

Or seek a higher vantage point.

Unpossible if the foreground is desired.

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:16:01 pm »

Hey James,

Awesome shots! Love the Golden Gate shot with the water. I've been living in San Francisco for the past year and I'm always blown away by how amazing the area is to shoot!

Graham

This is the first time I went with the express intent of playing with my cameras. I was completely blown away - how fortunate you are to live there :)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:12 am »

Nice shots. I would have cropped a bit of the foreground in the second one, as I find that the main subjects are the wave and the bridge itself.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:41:33 am »

Oddly enough, and I'm generally oddly enough anyway; I find the bridge almost an anecdotal comment as it relates to the scene as the foreground, rocks and huge splashing wave are the centers of interest.

To me, this is one of the most refreshing shots of the bridge by not making it the center of interest.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

James Clark

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:02:35 am »

Really not a huge wave.
Really not much of anything happening on that foreshore.
Really big international orange bridge against blue sky dominating everything (with some unfortunately positioned rocks breaking up the lines).

At least we get to see the fun effect of the bridge shrinking and only getting as far as that central rock, rather than reaching Marin.

This is like, "damning with faint praise," I think ;)  C'est la vie.  Everyone can't like everything, but I do honestly appreciate your input!  (The wave WAS pretty big though - maybe 15-20 feet.)

James Clark

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:48 am »

Oddly enough, and I'm generally oddly enough anyway; I find the bridge almost an anecdotal comment as it relates to the scene as the foreground, rocks and huge splashing wave are the centers of interest.

To me, this is one of the most refreshing shots of the bridge by not making it the center of interest.

Thanks Chris - that was sort of my intent with the series of shots I took from that vantage point - I have about a dozen where the bridge is AN element, but not THE element.  I'm fairly happy with how they turned out.  I'm not sure it's possible to get an incredibly unique take on the bridge at this point (well, probably it is, but it would take someone with greater vision and patience than I), but at least this isn't one that you see all the time :)

James Clark

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:29 am »

That was sarcasm not praise.

Was it the wave that was pretty BIG or was it the splash.

I must confess that I'm a little confused by your attitude, but whatever...  ???   I guess it is actually the "splash" that was flying up in the air, but honestly I didn't see the wave.  I just heard it hit and turned around and captured this magnificent vista.  

Incidentally, I disagree with you about "not much happening in the foreshore."  Between the rocks, the receding water moving back from the beach and the reflection of the splash in the water, I'm not sure how much more one could get into the foreground :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:23:57 am by James Clark »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »

You can't please everybody, some a little, others never, and so it goes.

James Clark

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 06:08:42 pm »

Nothing to be confused about -- I've seen a lot of good photos of the Golden Gate, this isn't one of them.

:P    I'm not confused by your opinion of the shot - your opinion is welcome.  I'm confused as to why you're being so obnoxious about it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:10:50 pm by James Clark »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »

Oh James, you need to let this one go. Every comment but one, his has been positive toward your composition, exposure, etc. yeah, everyone is likely to make a suggestion as to crops, etc., but that's to be expected. It's a good iamge and most of us recognize this. If Isaac doesn't agree however spoken, ignore and continue on your way. Your gain for posting. Our gian for being able to enjoy. You win.

James Clark

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:17 pm »

Oh James, you need to let this one go. Every comment but one, his has been positive toward your composition, exposure, etc. yeah, everyone is likely to make a suggestion as to crops, etc., but that's to be expected. It's a good iamge and most of us recognize this. If Isaac doesn't agree however spoken, ignore and continue on your way. Your gain for posting. Our gian for being able to enjoy. You win.

Fair enough.  Thanks for the perspective :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up