Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and Merril DP2 Support  (Read 7075 times)

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
Lightroom and Merril DP2 Support
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »

With the release of LR 4.4. many of us were hoping the there would be support for the Sigma Merril cameras.  Unfortunetly this has not come to pass and one can now assume that it not going to happen at all.  I am disappointed, for I find the process now using Sigma software to tendious and slow for pocessing large groups of files.  I don't think I will sell my DP2, for it is fabulous in what it does well, but I no longer use it as a primary camera. The sensor has such great  potential but it seems that Sigma does not have interest or capacity to improve on it. Choosing instead to produce one camera after another...DP1,DP2,DP3,DP4.......DP23, etc. The truth is that a program like Lightroom has spoiled me, so that having to spend a day editing Sigma files is a chore. Somehow I found the act of packing a view camera,tripod and film holders all day, followed by hours in the lab, less tiresome.

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Lightroom and Merril DP2 Support
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:36 pm »

I totally hear you Max,

I was in market to buy the Merril SD1, but the software info I read was pretty bad. then with LR not supporting it, I didn't buy it. Also how lame of them to not make it available in Nikon or Canon mounts?!! A camera that was over $15K, only for one lens type, and now less than $4K...but still not many buyers. If they introduced the SD1 with Canon or Nikon mounts, they would at least sell some. This Foveon sensor needs to evolve faster.

Sigma claims of it being 30-40Mpixel equivalent. I haven't tested it, yet I doubt it will hold up to such enlargments?  Would it surpass a 24mpixel SLR like a 5Dm3, or a PhaseOne P25 DB?  That is the info that interests me. I wonder if DxO has any stats?

So from your understanding LightRoom will NOT support the file format ?   WOW. If Sigma doesn't help in making this happen, they loose my interest completely.

Any info if C1 will support it?  It maybe hard for the way the file is written, but I'm sure it is possible.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »

Phil,

how big do you want to enlarge?
Personally I would never worry about enlarging a sigma file. particularly nature images.
before I got my very first digital camera I went to the sigma HQ in Germany to get a loaner for a commercial shoot. in their foyer they had hanging a few enlargements from the SD9 (3(!) megapixel - their very first cam). they were full body hight and looked good! better than any other 35mm that was out than (i.e. canon 1DS).
if you are on mac you can go with the irident raw-developer for pure quality. a neat little (but very good) raw-converter!

stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word enlarge.  I'm not familiar with the files, but reading some users feedback, the Foveon files degrade less when enlarging, and that is why they compare it to larger mpixel sensors...If there is truth to that, then I would like to know the limit point down to a pixel level.    It's not a matter of enlarging for output(thats mainly based on viewing distance). It is a matter of a workable file. A 16 bit or so meaty file that will go through agency retouchers. It should at least print 20"x30" or something without enlarging.

This is for industrial commercial photography including microscopic, etc.  each detail bit counts.

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:14 am »

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word enlarge.  I'm not familiar with the files, but reading some users feedback, the Foveon files degrade less when enlarging, and that is why they compare it to larger mpixel sensors...If there is truth to that, then I would like to know the limit point down to a pixel level.    It's not a matter of enlarging for output(thats mainly based on viewing distance). It is a matter of a workable file. A 16 bit or so meaty file that will go through agency retouchers. It should at least print 20"x30" or something without enlarging.

This is for industrial commercial photography including microscopic, etc.  each detail bit counts.

Phil,
You might find some info on large prints with the DP1 & DP2 cameras in Nick Devlin's field test on YouTube (jump around 9min30s for print test). Ultimately, only you can decide whether the files are up to your standards.
Francois

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:20:15 pm »

VERY interesting video....that was DP2M. Looks like this model is the same as the SD1
There is a DP3 using the SD1 chip also , 50mm lens
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:16:32 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »

Any info or rumors about a DP MERRIL with a zoom lense??
mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up