Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good TripodHead  (Read 3974 times)

rolei

Good TripodHead
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:04 am »

hello!

I am looking for a help to choose a tripod head!! (a stable tripod head) .

i am using Manfrotto 055XPROB. for now is ok., (but probably should think for a replacement for the near future.)

i have been using for some time - Giottos MH1300-652 and Its very unstable ! Could you give me some suggestions for a good realible tripod head please.

i use 5d mark3 with battery grip sometime,with lenses canon 16-35mm and canon 24-105mm f/4 IS

Thank you!

Ari-FLM

• FLM Canada
Re: Good TripodHead
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:08 am »

If your preference is for a ball head, FLM offers four sizes in the pro line, the FT-series.
Balls range from 38mm to 58mm in size, and all the FT heads offer tilt lock, meaning you can lock the horizontal axis and only use front-to-back movement.
They are rock-solid and won't break the bank, either.

You don't state where you live, but if you are in Europe or Asia, FLM is readily available; if you are in the US, try B&H, though they may not yet have a full inventory.
If you are in Canada or the US, and have trouble finding a head, you can contact me through the website listed in my signature.
aritapiero.com
flmcanada.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:55 am »

Really Right Stuff makes excellent heads but expensive, using the Arca-swiss type quick release. Kirk also makes good head, as well as Arca-Swiss, for a little less expensive ball head look at Acra-Tech. A ball head really is the way to go along with a good tripod.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:06:35 am »

Ari even though it is in your signature and part of your user name you should really state that you are a dealer, rather than an impartial person giving some advice and recommendations.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

jgbowerman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:08:50 am »

Without consideration of cost, I've finally settled on an Arca Swiss D4m. Prior to the d4m, I used a BH-40 and was never all that pleased with fine-tuning landscape compositions, even frustrated as the movements were not all that smooth and it was very close to all-or-nothing when trying to fine tune. One of my priorities was to go as light weight as possible with good stability and precision movements. The d4m is not the lightest of options, but it is the smoothest and by far easiest to implement, and extremely stable. The only negative is the cost of around 740.00 USD.

Ari-FLM

• FLM Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:09:26 am »

Hi Alan,

I did devote a thread to stating I am an FLM distributor (not a dealer), but perhaps you are right; I will add it to my username. (Edit: modified username)

FWIW, I am still a professional photographer, and before I got the FLM job, I was recommending them to LF shooters like myself, who were considering moving away from 3-way p/t heads.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:24:17 pm by Ari-FLM Canada distributor »
aritapiero.com
flmcanada.com

Glenn NK

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:49:38 am »

Really Right Stuff makes excellent heads but expensive, using the Arca-swiss type quick release. Kirk also makes good head, as well as Arca-Swiss, for a little less expensive ball head look at Acra-Tech. A ball head really is the way to go along with a good tripod.

Alan

I'm not keen on offering advice on what "insert word here" someone should buy as we all have different needs and likes/dislikes.  However because the OP is essentially using what I am (5D2, 24-105, 70-200) I recognized that one of the Acratech heads could suit his needs.

I very recently acquired a model GP.  I am very satisfied with it.

These are strange looking ball heads to be sure, but very versatile.

http://acratech.net/home.php?cat=1

What I particularly like is that the mounting platform (for the camera) can be removed and screwed onto the base of the head - the head then being turned upside down on the tripod, and it becomes a leveling head (useful for stitching panoramas).  It's best to view the videos on their site to fully understand what I mean, but the procedure is very simple.  In fact, I leave mine in the inverted position.

They will fill mail orders (I just happened to be passing through Pomona CA on my way to Palm Springs).  The owner (Scott) is a long time photographer and very knowledgeable and good to deal with.

An interesting side note:  Scott said that he does some photography in the mountains (where freezing rain is not uncommon), and rain would get into regular ball heads and freeze them up - so he developed his own "open" head that would drain and be easy to keep clean.  He is a machinist by trade, and it shows in the design and workmanship.

Glenn

Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

leuallen

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:47:41 am »

jgbowerman,

Where did you get the D4m. Is there an online source in the US? I've looked and the price I've seen has been around $1100. I've money to burn but not that much.

Larry

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

That is a moderately heavy load For  small but very strong ballhead look at the Arca-Swiss p0. Besides it's size and mass to strength ratio, there are three features that set it apart:

1) assymetrical shape of the ball , which in a semi-locked state increases drag as you tilt away from the upright position.

2) The panning function is at the camera attachment level, not the base of the head. This means that if you have leveled the camera (or set to another angle) if you pan to change the composition or follow action the camera stays level.

3) Unlike many similarly priced heads it does not use a lubricant. Lubricants are grit magnets and degrade performance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Arca-Swiss+p0&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Full disclosure: While I have no current connections to Arca-Swiss, its owners or any of their distributors or dealers , about ten years ago I did write a revised American English version of the instructions for the old B1 Monoball.

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:41 am »

I bought the acratech GP-ss ball head.  No complaints.

4 points that put it over the top for me.
Has portrait mode which can also simulate a gimbal head.
It can be flipped over to create leveling capabilities.
It looks like it was architecturally designed.
The bottom of the ball is open so that dust and grime don't easily collect.
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

jgbowerman

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:46 pm »

jgbowerman,

Where did you get the D4m. Is there an online source in the US? I've looked and the price I've seen has been around $1100. I've money to burn but not that much.

Larry

Hi Larry, I got the D4m from Rod Klukas. Rod is the US Arca Swiss representative. The price you are seeing looks closer to that for the larger D4, but Rod will have the latest price list and be able to answer any questions otherwise. Cheers, Greg

markmullen

• Mark Mullen Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 06:57:15 pm »

I'm a big fan of geared heads, I've got the Manfrotto 405 and 410, both converted to Arca Swiss, I'd really recommend them for landscape use, perfect for levelling horizons etc.

NancyP

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »

I have two tripod heads and two tripods.
1. Aluminum Manfrotto 055 plus used Manfrotto 410 geared head, converted to Arca-Swiss (kit from Hejnar Photo). Lives in car. Used for astro, macro, architectural photography - anything where I want to dial in precise 3 axis control. This was my original tripod. I don't take this one hiking because it weighs 8#.
2. Carbon fiber Feisol 3472 "systematic-style" (no center column) 37mm leg diameter, four section, 59" max height, 6" min height, plus Arca-Swiss Z1sp ball head. 5.5#. This is my hiking 'pod. Can add leveling base for another 12 oz. The A-S Z1 is a monster ball that works very well with half-gimbal attachment for 400mm to 500mm lens.

Someday when I have some more money to burn, I might get a slightly lighter kit, and for that, given my experience with Feisol and with Arca-Swiss, I'd probably go for a 28mm leg diameter systematic-type Feisol pod at 2.5# and Arca-Swiss p0 at 10 oz.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:30 am »

I've been using an Acratech ballhead for 9 years and truly feel it is the best ballhead you can buy for outdoor photography.  The open ball design does not require lubrication of any kind and it never gets gummed up with mud or sand, which can cause other ballheads to seize up.  They're lightweight, rock solid and Acratech provides top notch customer service.  They also don't charge a fortune for them.  A couple of years ago I wrote a review of the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead on my blog.

Full disclosure: Last year I picked up Acratech as a sponsor.  Note that the review was written well before they offered me a sponsorship.

orchidblooms

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 07:08:36 pm »

i am happy with the acratec gp-s

took a while to get used to the action...

get the unit with lever release - so you do not unscrew the camera mount by accident as i have done a few times....

::)

P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up