Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTP 94 on 64bit OS  (Read 10391 times)

marvpelkey

DTP 94 on 64bit OS
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »

Hello,

A while back, I purchased a ColorEyes Display package with a DTP 94 and successfully used that on a previous monitor and system. I later upgraded my system, including an NEC monitor and moved to Spectraview II but continued to use the DTP 94 with great success.

I again just upgraded my system to Windows 7 (had been using XP Home 32 bit) to take advantage of more RAM etc.

However, I have run into a problem trying to calibrate the monitor and subsequent internet research seems to indicate I cannot use the DTP 94 on a 64 bit OS, and there is no upgraded driver support (in fact, I can't even tell you all the problems I am having with many programs, due to this upgrade - what started as a few hundred dollar birthday present by the wife is beginning to cost her way more!!).

Can someone confirm this? I understand there is a non-official-workaround that may/may not work, however, I would rather not go down that road.

Do I now have a very nicely designed paperweight?

Thanks in advance,

Marv

Pat Herold

Re: DTP 94 on 64bit OS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »

The brick wall you're running into involves any solution by X-Rite.  They have not updated the drivers for later OS's.

The ColorEyes folks have come out with a new update for Windows that covers Win 7 and 64-bit.  This is a paid upgrade, but it's only $49.  That's not too much for adding function back into your paperweight. They say they are continuing support of the DTP94, but it looks like they will not support it going into Windows 8.
http://www.integrated-color.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ICC&Product_Code=CEDP-Update&Category_Code=Display+Calibration
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

marvpelkey

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »

Pherold,

Thanks for your reply, and the link. Little confused though. Does this upgrade mean that I could then use the puck with Spectraview or would it only work with the ColorEyes software. I'm presuming the former, but wanted to make sure prior to purchasing the upgrade.

Marv

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:56:30 am »

Have you tried using the unified driver for Vista 64bt listed on the X-Rite web site ?

marvpelkey

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 02:47:11 pm »

Rhossydd,

Not sure what you mean by "unified driver" however, when trying to find a solution to my dilemma, I did visit the x-rite site and found a support link for the DTP 94. The link indicated the device was discontinued and a driver was unavailable for a 64bit system. They did, though, provide details for a workaround that they indicate some have had success with. Unfortunately, they also stated that the method was not recommended by them and that some users have encountered the dreaded "blue screen" when trying this method. I sort of referenced this in my initial post when I described it as "non-official" and indicated I did not wish to try it.

Regards,

Marv

Rhossydd

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:11:43 pm »

Not sure what you mean by "unified driver" however,
A single driver that supports a range of products from one hardware company and also supports multiple operating systems, as opposed to individual drivers for each product for each supported operating system. So the driver at:http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=730&Action=support&SoftwareID=746 might make many different devices work on any of the recent Windows OSs.
Unfortunately, they also stated that the method was not recommended by them and that some users have encountered the dreaded "blue screen" when trying this method. I sort of referenced this in my initial post when I described it as "non-official" and indicated I did not wish to try it.
I think "non official" just means they won't get involved with supporting it.
If you have no other choice, I'd go with trying it. Make sure you create a restore point before installing it, so you can fall back to a known good configuration, then try it whilst nothing else important is being done on the system and you shouldn't be exposing yourself to much risk.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:35:53 am by Rhossydd »

marvpelkey

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »

Thanks Rhossydd, much appreciated.

Marv

marvpelkey

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »

As suggested, I downloaded the unified driver, for Vista 64, and was able to use the DTP 94 on Win 7 as a result. So far works wonderfully. Thanks for the help.

Marv

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 04:30:04 am »

Thanks for the update, good to hear it's working OK.
I've got a vested interest in this as I've just bought a DTP-70 on eBay and I'm hoping the same strategy(and unified driver) will work for me too ;-)

donbga

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:52:58 am »

Hello,

A while back, I purchased a ColorEyes Display package with a DTP 94 and successfully used that on a previous monitor and system. I later upgraded my system, including an NEC monitor and moved to Spectraview II but continued to use the DTP 94 with great success.

I again just upgraded my system to Windows 7 (had been using XP Home 32 bit) to take advantage of more RAM etc.

However, I have run into a problem trying to calibrate the monitor and subsequent internet research seems to indicate I cannot use the DTP 94 on a 64 bit OS, and there is no upgraded driver support (in fact, I can't even tell you all the problems I am having with many programs, due to this upgrade - what started as a few hundred dollar birthday present by the wife is beginning to cost her way more!!).

Can someone confirm this? I understand there is a non-official-workaround that may/may not work, however, I would rather not go down that road.

Do I now have a very nicely designed paperweight?

Thanks in advance,

Marv

I've just gone through the same scenario as you with my recent computer upgrade and Win 7 Pro 64 migration. And I also use Spectraview.

The Vista 64 bit driver from XRITE WILL NOT WORK with Win 7 64! Forget about it and move on. Plan on upgrading to a supported device. I purchased the NEC SpectraSensor Pro colorimeter NIB for $115. What a bargain IMO for a colorimeter only solution. You may want to consider other devices like the Color Munki, etc. so take some time and weight your options, but just forget the DTP94 unless you can use it on other supported PCs.

Now FWIW, I had to download the latest version of Spectraview to get the NEC SSP and Spectraview working together. If you already have Spectraview then it's a free upgrade.
I use two NEC monitors and both appear to match the other visually after calibration with the new colorimeter which is wonderful for 2 monitor use with LR.

Anyway hope this helps,

Don Bryant

marvpelkey

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:11 pm »

Don,

As stated two posts ago, I downloaded the unified driver for Vista and was able to use the DTP 94 with Spectraview II for my NEC on Windows 7 OS. Prior to d'loading the unified driver I was unable to use the puck and it was not recognized by Spectraview. I just calibrated the monitor with this set-up and it worked fine. I had actually resigned myself to purchasing new stuff when it wouldn't accept the puck, but thought as a last effort I would try the unified driver. Not sure why you encountered problems and I did not.

Perhaps Rhossydd can let us know how he fares.

Marv

donbga

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

Don,

As stated two posts ago, I downloaded the unified driver for Vista and was able to use the DTP 94 with Spectraview II for my NEC on Windows 7 OS. Prior to d'loading the unified driver I was unable to use the puck and it was not recognized by Spectraview. I just calibrated the monitor with this set-up and it worked fine. I had actually resigned myself to purchasing new stuff when it wouldn't accept the puck, but thought as a last effort I would try the unified driver. Not sure why you encountered problems and I did not.

Marv

Sorry I didn't see your post. I tried the same as you and never could get the driver to work. So I'm guessing it's a mixed bag for success. I could never get the device to be recognized by the OS much less Spectraview. I even tried the Toolcrib trick outlined on the Xrite site - result BSOD just as they suggested. But the supporting documentation also stated that some users had success.

So far I've had 3 fails on 3 different Win 7 64 machines. All with plenty of hardware resources like CPU cores, memory, etc. So I don't know what makes the device drivers function on some boxes.

Anyway I'm not unhappy about acquiring a new colorimeter since the results are so outstanding and I can move on to getting printing done.

Anyone want to purchase a DTP94 at a great price? ;)

Don Bryant

Rhossydd

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:47:16 am »

I'm using a different device (DTP-70), so my experience will be different.
I've used the unified driver on Window7 32bit(Unsupported) and the spectro is working correctly. Windows 64bit is being stubborn, but I've only tried a few approaches so far.

Daedalus256

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 11:24:40 am »

I'm using a different device (DTP-70), so my experience will be different.
I've used the unified driver on Window7 32bit(Unsupported) and the spectro is working correctly. Windows 64bit is being stubborn, but I've only tried a few approaches so far.

That's pretty strange. I can use the DTP-70 under Win7 64-bit with no issues. I'm using EFI though so maybe that has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:36:10 am by Daedalus256 »

Rhossydd

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 11:50:32 am »

I can use the DTP-70 under Win7 64-bit with no issues. I'm using EFI though so maybe that has something to do with it.
Wow. that's promising. Could you spare a moment to look at device manager, see what driver it's using and post back please ?

GlueFactoryBJJ

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:56 am »

I have been using my DTP-94 under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit using the Argyll/dispcalGUI combo for quite some time.  In fact, I just upgraded to the new 64-bit version of Argyll and it even sped up the processing time. 

FWIW, it has been my experience that, while Argyll/dispcalGUI is a bit slower (for, say, the "Massive" LUT test), it is worth it as the profiles are quite good and compare well with results I got from a borrowed I1Display Pro on a standard gamut monitor.  Don't try to calibrate a wide gamut monitor with the DTP-94 as it just can't do it well (> 8 DE more than the I1Display Pro).

Scott

TomA123

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

Daedalus256 -- I've just run into a problem with DTP 70 as I was setting up a new machine (Win 7, 64bit) to power my CGS ORIS RIP. On loading the unified driver from Xrite, I immediately BSOD'ed. Could you elaborate on your EFI set up, that is, exactly what you are running? Any help appreciated. -- Tom

Rhossydd

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 06:00:08 am »

Daedalus256 -... Could you elaborate on your EFI set up, that is, exactly what you are running? Any help appreciated. -- Tom
Unlikely,
Daedalus256 Last Active:    07-03-2013, 16:35:25
Gone now.

I've tried a lot of approaches to get the DTP-70 working on W7 64 without success. Apart from the above comments I've found no other reference on the web to getting a DTP70 working on W7 64, so I can only assume Daedalus256 was mistaken.

It does work fine on W7 32bit though, so I just use it on a dedicated system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up