Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Oak Tree  (Read 2640 times)

IndyFab

The Old Oak Tree
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »

While driving on a country road, I stumbled on this tree, and thought it had lots of character.

IMG_2465 (C) All Rights Reserved by Sett N trenZ, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:29:55 pm by IndyFab »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Old Oak Tree
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:06:46 pm »

There is a nice compositional balance between the position and shape of the tree and of the clouds. If you would tone down the saturation a bit, and darken it, it would have an almost Camille Corot (French 19th century painter) feel to it.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:14:13 pm »

I agree about the saturation.  That said, the image is quite pleasing, with very interesting light and subject matter.  But I don't see the tree you saw as the main focus.  For me it works with the other trees combined, leading my eye out to the left where the animals and the rest of the farm scene attract me.

My one difficulty with the image is that great road on the right side, which grabs my eye and leads it straight through and out of the picture, competing with the very interesting farm scene.  Do you have shots of the scene from different angles, with the road leading into the farm scene? Or perhaps without the road?

If not, it would be worth going back there and doing some more shooting.

I also love the way the clouds sort of echo the shape of the trees.

IndyFab

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:16 pm »

There is a nice compositional balance between the position and shape of the tree and of the clouds. If you would tone down the saturation a bit, and darken it, it would have an almost Camille Corot (French 19th century painter) feel to it.

Thanks Sloodan, I'll give your suggestions a try. Your suggestion on my sunset shot with bridge was very beneficial.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I agree about the saturation.  That said, the image is quite pleasing, with very interesting light and subject matter.  But I don't see the tree you saw as the main focus.  For me it works with the other trees combined, leading my eye out to the left where the animals and the rest of the farm scene attract me.

My one difficulty with the image is that great road on the right side, which grabs my eye and leads it straight through and out of the picture, competing with the very interesting farm scene.  Do you have shots of the scene from different angles, with the road leading into the farm scene? Or perhaps without the road?

If not, it would be worth going back there and doing some more shooting.

I also love the way the clouds sort of echo the shape of the trees.

Thanks Walter, agree with you that the road and farm scene are competing, I noticed that immediately, even considered if I should post it or not.  As you said though, there was some pleasing elements to it. I drive on this road occasionally, I'll see if another angle or even perhaps from the other side of tree will work better. Just need to be there around the same time of day, to get that same light.

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:19:20 am »

I agree as others say about the clouds echoing the trees. This looks like a spot where the possibilities are endless. At different times of day and seasons this group of trees with the road helping to draw the eyes through the image. 

rambler44

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:47:08 pm »

It is interesting that your title is the one tree.  I see lots of trees and they complement the rest of the scene, but do not stand out as vividly as your title suggests.  Actually it is the color that I really like.  I think the saturation brings out a redness in the cattle, and I am quite partial to the wonderful blue skies with puffy clouds.  

So, if you really want us to see the Old Oak that caught your eye, get closer to it.  Put it right in our faces! Look at that curving branch in the middle.  Is it a wonderful live oak of the south? I think I see a palm poking out in the middle. There should be some great texture in the old bark.

Definitely return to this site.  That fence looks interesting and look how folks reacted to that "long lonesome road."  Old tree, old road, fence, lonely cows...do I see some themes here?  I certainly understand why you stopped along the road with your camera ready.  This is a very pleasing composition.

BTW Look at the thread entitled Twin Frosted Trees.  Is there any doubt what the subject is?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:15:32 pm by rambler44 »

IndyFab

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:34 am »

It is interesting that your title is the one tree.  I see lots of trees and they complement the rest of the scene, but do not stand out as vividly as your title suggests.  Actually it is the color that I really like.  I think the saturation brings out a redness in the cattle, and I am quite partial to the wonderful blue skies with puffy clouds.  

So, if you really want us to see the Old Oak that caught your eye, get closer to it.  Put it right in our faces! Look at that curving branch in the middle.  Is it a wonderful live oak of the south? I think I see a palm poking out in the middle. There should be some great texture in the old bark.

Definitely return to this site.  That fence looks interesting and look how folks reacted to that "long lonesome road."  Old tree, old road, fence, lonely cows...do I see some themes here?  I certainly understand why you stopped along the road with your camera ready.  This is a very pleasing composition.

BTW Look at the thread entitled Twin Frosted Trees.  Is there any doubt what the subject is?

Rambler, I like how you commented about folks reacting to the "long lonesome road"... I think that would be a more appropriate name "Long Lonesome Rd" for this image

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:25:36 pm »

Slobodan had a good idea about it being somewhat reminiscent of Corot.
I have a no road version that I think is along those lines, if you'd care to see it ?

David

IndyFab

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:30 pm »

Slobodan had a good idea about it being somewhat reminiscent of Corot.
I have a no road version that I think is along those lines, if you'd care to see it ?

David

I appreciate that David, when you have a chance your more than welcome to post it here.

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:41:57 pm »

A different interpretation .I did really like the tree area but as someone else said the road just was overpowering the composition. My take, a more painterly approach...
I added some warmth and  some texture to the sky reduced the saturation and darkened. A little corner vignette, and of course cloned and patched out the road. I have tried to post this as I see it and how I worked it on my monitor but the low resolution and conversions to the web are really messing it up.I hope you get the general idea though.I have actually done a good amount of blurring to the trees in this posted version in order to compensate for what appeared to be over use of clarity, which I have not applied.
David
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:08:51 pm by davidh202 »

IndyFab

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:15 am »

Thanks David, I see now what the Camille Corot (French 19th century painter) looks is .. I like the look.

I take it you did this in PS..

I only have LR 4.3 and just now learning Elements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up