Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HowTo? update firmware of older iSis device? Possible?  (Read 3374 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
HowTo? update firmware of older iSis device? Possible?
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:49 am »

Is it possible to update the firmware in an iSis device?  If so, how?

I spoke to an x-rite support tech, and the direction of the conversation rather quickly got to sending in the device for calibration and possible overhaul. I'd much rather get feedback from iSis owners with experience with the device prior to doing that.

I've got an older iSis scanner/spectro that I purchased NIB on eBay, along with NIB PMP5-PhotoStudio. The original owner apparently purchased several, and never opened the one he sold to me. It came in the original package, sealed. There were still original orange packing tape strips on the device. The thick plastic protector sheet for the scan-head was in place. So far, so good.

The included "Certificate of Performance" was dated Feb 27, 2007, which was quite a bit older than I expected. The serial number is #307 and version/build "A". It didn't come with OBC gray cards, which I understand weren't originally included. Overall, it seems to be working ok, but I've yet to be able to make good profiles.

My understanding is that newer iSis devices come with version / build "E". My speculation is that at least some of that is updated firmware.

With many devices (such as DLSR's, mother-boards, SSD's, etc.) the vendor makes firmware updates available. I've updated my Canon 5dm2's firmware 3 or 4 times ... NBD (no bid deal).

I'd appreciate feedback on what the various Revisions accomplished, especially if there are firmware updates that are end-user installable.

(However,  "if it ain't broke, don't fix it")
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:11:30 am by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: HowTo? update firmware of older iSis device? Possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:03 am »

There's no way to move from say a Rev C to Rev E (that's a hardware differences).

Download the free i1Diagnostics to test your iSis.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

yannb

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

Hello,

You can have your original iSis revised so it adheres to XRGA calibration standards. It needs to be sent in to X-Rite for that.
The OBC cards can be bought separately. The part number is... 'OBC'.

Regards,
Yann
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:25:15 pm by yannb »

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:34:37 pm »

Yann,

I got several price quotes today back from x-rite
  • recertification of iSis ... $425
  • any repairs ... seems to be flat $650
  • upgrade to Rev E (latest) .... additional $400
  • I don't think I've violated any proprietary info by disclosing this ... or not?

Overall, I think I have a older, but perfectly good n.i.b. iSis that I'm struggling with on the learning curve.

Hopefully, that isn't wishful thinking, and it doesn't turns out to be a "hunk of junk".  I'm part way through a long thread on "Testing spectrophotomers" and may have one or more related questions if I continue to have problems making profiles.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53138.msg435610#msg435610

Sometimes I can be "penny-wise and pound foolish", or have "more dollars that sense".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:38:52 pm by l_d_allan »

yannb

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:44:07 pm »

Hello,

You're right. A bit expensive if the device is not broken.

In i1Profiler, the iSis measurements will be based upon XRGA calibration standards as well, and you can use the Colorchecker Proof target with the OBC mask to use the OBC functionality.

Have fun with your gear.

Regards,
Yann

PhilipCummins

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:35:36 pm »

Sometimes I can be "penny-wise and pound foolish", or have "more dollars that sense".

Depends if you got a good deal on it I guess... for a NIB or used you'd have to factor roughly $500 - $1000 to bring it up to the latest revision (if required), recertify it if it was drifting and purchase the upgrade OBC hardware/software that you'd normally get with a new one. All that could negate savings from purchasing in the first place brand new I guess. I had a look at it recently myself however looking more likely that the costs of a 2nd hand iSis vs a new i1 Pro 2 (which does handle the new UV included/excluded measurements) would make more sense to get the i1 Pro 2 instead.

It's definitely buyer beware on the 2nd hand market (particularly say i1Pro's) due to the mess of licensing (particularly i1Match modules for i1Profiler upgrades), accessories included and recertification costs. You can get good deals here and there but still pretty difficult to navigate properly. Ie getting a 2nd hand i1Pro that enables a cheap i1Publish Pro 2 Upgrade A or B can be had however can be hard to get precise info on which one would support that.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:04 am »

You can tell a bit about how well an iSis is doing by the sounds it makes scanning. I've got one that has literally measured tens of thousands of patches and it's louder than the newer RevE I have that's still a pup. I've been on site with other iSis units that sound just awful in terms of the 'gearing'. Not a good sign. Keeping the unit in a clean environment helps a great deal. On a press floor, measuring targets all day, an iSis can end up sounding like an old sewing machine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:21:09 pm »

You can tell a bit about how well an iSis is doing by the sounds it makes scanning.

Seems good on that criterion. Thanks.

I'd describe it as sounding about like a muffled Epson dot-matrix printer.

Whir, whir, whir .... CR-clunk
whir, whir, whir .... CR-clunk

It does set up a minor amount of vibration sometimes ... the flip open lid? ... but i'll put my finger on the lid and it settles down nicely.

My Canon 9000-2 is definitely louder ... with a CLUNK as it starts moving right-to-left and then CLUNK as it reverses direction to go left-to-right.

Pages: [1]   Go Up