I have been using LR4 for about 2 months and have noted with a sort of detached, “it can’t happen here” attitude the various complaints about performance since I have really had no issues… until yesterday. Now suddenly I have very serious performance problems and I hope somebody can help out.
These are the symptoms I have noticed:
- Significant delays in displaying an image once it is selected from the filmstrip
- Significant delays before a new develop setting shows up in the history panel
- Significant delays before the selection of a previous setting in the history panel resets the develop setting and effects the image.
The latter is particularly annoying when scrolling through changes if the changes are subtle since it is not immediately obvious if the previous setting has taken effect or not.
The symptoms get worse the longer LR is active. After about 20 minutes the significant delays mentioned above are as much 20-30 sec which is really annoying and makes it nearly unusable and therefore requires a restart of LR4.
The only thing that I am now that is new is preparing a book using the book module. The project I am working on has less than 100 images.
Some notes on my setup:
- A rather small catalog (less than 20k images)
- 12GB memory
- I7-3770 processor with quad-core
- ~300GB free disk space
I have also notice that the memory used by L4 increase over time and use from about 200MB at launch to eventually 2 GB before it becomes unusable.
Thanks for the help.