Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden LR 4 Performance Problems  (Read 1902 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Sudden LR 4 Performance Problems
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »

Sigh….

I have been using LR4 for about 2 months and have noted with a sort of detached, “it can’t happen here” attitude the various complaints about performance since I have really had no issues… until yesterday.  Now suddenly I have very serious performance problems and I hope somebody can help out.

These are the symptoms I have noticed:

- Significant delays in displaying an image once it is selected from the filmstrip
- Significant delays before a new develop setting shows up in the history panel
- Significant delays before the selection of a previous setting in the history panel resets the develop setting and effects the image.

The latter is particularly annoying when scrolling through changes if the changes are subtle since it is not immediately obvious if the previous setting has taken effect or not.

The symptoms get worse the longer LR is active. After about 20 minutes the significant delays mentioned above are as much 20-30 sec  which is really annoying and makes it nearly unusable and therefore requires a restart of LR4.
The only thing that I am  now that is new is preparing a book using the book module. The project I am working on has less than 100 images.

Some notes on my setup:

-   A rather small catalog (less than 20k images)
-   12GB memory
-   I7-3770 processor with quad-core
-   ~300GB free disk space

I have also notice that the memory used by L4 increase over time and use from about 200MB at launch to eventually 2 GB before it becomes unusable.

Thanks for the help.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Sudden LR 4 Performance Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:47 pm »

Have you looked through this? http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Sounds more like a memory/scratch disk issue as it accumulates over time with LR use.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:31 pm »

Have you looked through this? http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Sounds more like a memory/scratch disk issue as it accumulates over time with LR use.

Mike.

Thanks I looked at the site before I posted. My hardware is ok and the only thing I did not try yet was to optimize the catalog.  What I found curious was the sudden degradation.

It does look like a memory problem. But I have never heard of memory use growing by itself. Memory use is usually caused by the application.

Robert

degrub

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »

Not specific to LR, but I have seen simlar issues of screen update speed due to an overloaded gpu and lack of memory running win7 32 bit with some modeling software i use. lot's of swapping. Any change of settings in lightroom - previews perhaps ? Have you had any driver updates or OS updates ? You could try rolling back to a previous state.

I have also seen thermal throttling of the cpu kick in if the system is getting hot.

The other thing to check is fragmentation on the drive and check the SMART statistics as well. You might run chkdsk to see if it picks up any issues. Sometimes a cable can get loose or connection go bad. You can get a copy of memtest or similar and stress test the memory.

Good luck
Frank

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:50:49 pm »

check the SMART statistics as well.

What are SMART statistics?

degrub

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:53 pm »

Self monitoring And reporting technology for hard drives

Google smart tools and look at the wiki for a list of free utilities

Frank

degrub

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:26 pm »

Smartmontools is reasonable and free!
It really does sound like LR is having to do a lot to / from disk and the more images you have worked on the more swapping / rebuilding it is doing as it runs out of memory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up