Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: piezo printing  (Read 1897 times)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
piezo printing
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:20:56 pm »

I have an old Epson 7600 Ultrachrome printer with Imageprint 6.5. I always print on matte papers because this printer does terrible with glossy ones. I want to print on baryta papers that resemble the beloved FB Glossy surfaces of silver paper. I would like to know if I switch to Piezography inks if I can do this. Is print quality going to really improve with these inks?
Another reason I would like to switch is I have a Win Imageprint rip and now I work with macs, so I have a win machine just for the printer, but I am not fond of windows nor imageprint. With piezo and QTR I can print straight from my mac. Any suggestions and ideas welcome. thanks.

Sergio.

KeithR

Re: piezo printing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:43:29 am »

Can't say anything about mac's as I'm running Win 7, but I have been running a piezography split tone ink set in a 4800 and it's very easy to use. All my printing is on Canson Baryta Photographique. Cone supplies curves via QTR or will create a custom one for you(1st one free). As Jon Cone puts it, the system is designed to be turnkey in use. Take a look at the forum and ask questions. Jon usually is the one who responds. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/piezography3000/?yguid=422756346
The customer service is 1st rate.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »

keep in mind that for photo surface papers like the barytas, you will need a Cone system with a gloss optimizer cart. This requires printing the image first with ink, letting it dry or drying it, then running it through a second time selecting the curve in QTR that lays down the GO. I find it no big deal, the results are certainly worth it, but it does require those extra steps some aren't familiar with, you should know that going in. A second pass of GO marries the ink to these surfaces like no other inkjet I've seen.
Tyler

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:24:35 pm »

Piezo K7 is a 7 shades black printing ink system with using QTR.
Like Tyler said, you will need the 8th position to install the Gloss Optimizer (GO) for the 2nd pass over print procedure.
Since 7600 is a 7 ink printer only, it sounds like you won't be able to convert your printer into K7 system.
But it is wrong! You can still convert it into a K6 system which takes away the last light black and replace that with the GO to do the 2nd pass over print.
It works great but you might need to ask Jon to get you a custom curve for that.

aaron

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »

Maybe Jon Cone's new Piezography 2 system?

The Epson 7600 is pretty old but assuming it is in good condition to survive the conversion, you might need a custom set-up.  I'd definitely call to see what the options are---great customer service and very impressive B&W printing options.

ken

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »

..... A second pass of GO marries the ink to these surfaces like no other inkjet I've seen

Tyler,
Are you refering to the initial GO pass or suggesting 2 passes of the GO?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:04:15 pm »

there are 2 passes total.. 1st the ink pass, of the image, and then the GO pass..
So no, only one GO pass, but it is second.
T
Pages: [1]   Go Up