Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth + Epson SP 3880  (Read 3620 times)

jcunningham

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth + Epson SP 3880
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »

When I print on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, the print sometimes looks faded/unsaturated. By comparison, the same photo looks as though it has the same saturation as on my monitor when I print on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin or Epson Proofing Paper White Semimatte. For each paper, I use the profiles recommended by the manufacturer. Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, any suggestions? Thank you in advance -

hugowolf

Re: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth + Epson SP 3880
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:34:26 pm »

When I print on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, the print sometimes looks faded/unsaturated. By comparison, the same photo looks as though it has the same saturation as on my monitor when I print on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin or Epson Proofing Paper White Semimatte. For each paper, I use the profiles recommended by the manufacturer. Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, any suggestions? Thank you in advance -
Have you any experience with other matte fine art papers for comparison?

Brian A

jcunningham

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:42:47 pm »

Not to experience in detail. I like HPR Ultrasmooth, because it's ultra smooth, and when I was choosing a paper, I was more concerned with the texture of the paper -

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:18:03 pm »

Not to experience in detail. I like HPR Ultrasmooth, because it's ultra smooth, and when I was choosing a paper, I was more concerned with the texture of the paper -
So it could just be your expectation of the paper? Printing on a true matte paper produces very different results than printing on gloss and semi gloss papers. Do you have sample packs from Hahnemühle and/or Canson so that you can try a different matte paper? Canson Rag Photographique is almost as smooth as Hahnemühle's Ultra Smooth; and Hahnemühle's regular Photo Rag 308 isn't exactly rough. I think you will find little difference in the general effect.

You could certainly try putting down more ink. it is the Paper Config... button, then strangely called 'Color Density'. You can also try soft proofing and try to get the soft proof to look like you want. But a matte paper print will never look like a photo paper print - there would be little point if it did.

Brian A

jcunningham

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47:39 am »

Thank you. And yes, it could be my expectation of the paper. As it turns out, printing with the Epson Velvet Fine Art profile on the Hahnemuhle PR Ultrasmooth gives it a little more kick.

mshea

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:10:00 pm »

On a related issue, about two years ago, I was printing a lot on HM Ultra Smooth (also using a 3880). I'm about to resume printing on Ultra Smooth, but with a newer printer driver. I now notice that there is no Ultra Smooth Matte paper option available. The HM website indicates Fine Art Velvet as the proper paper setting, using MK ink. However, the MK ink option is not available when I choose the Fine Art Velvet paper option. I always used MK ink when previously printing on this paper. What gives?

Thanks,
Merrill

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:17 pm »

Something is really wrong if PK is available for VFA.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up