Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tree View to Bridge  (Read 1515 times)

cjogo

Tree View to Bridge
« on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »

Riga view to expansion bridge //

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Re: Tree View to Bridge
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:03:10 am »

I consider there is too much going on for this to be a successful image for me. It has many interesting elements: the vertical bridge structure, the cables, the "twin" trees, what I think is a cloud formation in the sky which seems to be solarised, and the design in the fence running along by the river.

I suggest you should isolate more your reason for making the image and reduce/remove the impact of those elements that are irrelevant.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:46:41 am »

I think I agree with Roger, but I'm still struggling with it. There's something about the bridge pylon against the sky that turns it into an abstraction. At first it looks to me as if there are mountains in the background, then I can see that they're merely clouds. In the end, I can't quite get into the picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

nemo295

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:48:55 am »

The composition is problematic for me. I would have like to see a version where the flanking trees weren't cropped off at the sides. I realize, of course, that that may not have worked with the surroundings.

And as Roger noted, mid-tone values are a little odd and almost look solarized. It gives the image a washed-out look which I don't find pleasing.

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:11 pm »

Many my images suffer from a solarized look -- especially when I reduce them from a 50 meg file to fit here ..could also be that this is from a scan, many years ago .. some films just don't transfer well in the digital form :'(

cjogo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »

This is the second view I worked on >>  I made a total of 4 :: it's somewhat different when you shoot square > the cropping just is not the same as a 6X7 or 35mm horz/vertical view ..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:58:41 pm by cjogo »

nemo295

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:13:11 pm »

This one is a much better composition, imo. The tonality is also improved vis-a-vis the first one, but still looks a little flat to me. But I understand that it could just be a product of the scanner you were using.

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:27:43 pm »

A little -quick shadow/highlight application - the trees are backlit and this is sunset ...so not too much there.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:30:22 pm by cjogo »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:12 pm »

This is the second view I worked on ...

Much easier to look at.

cjogo

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:52:46 pm »

Hey thanks  :D >> thats what this Forum is all about ..love the feedback

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:56:16 pm »

Rhythm. Snap! What's going on with the sky, may I ask? Is that just the way it was? Somebody said solarized; I wouldn't go that far, but is it part of the shoot to film, scan to digital process? I think this image is VERY strong.

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:50 pm »

Sky was there -- just used a orange filter ...minus my development for the highlights ... yes always a little problem with film to scan.  Even with the Minolta Scan Pro

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:02:15 am »

Sky was there -- just used a orange filter ...minus my development for the highlights ... yes always a little problem with film to scan.  Even with the Minolta Scan Pro

I consider the three-tree image much better but that the sky is too distracting. I would darken the top edge of the sky with a gradient so the top edge is very dark and the darkness fades out towards the top of the trees.

There's an awkward line or cloud in the sky above the middle and right trees which I consider interferes with the radiating pattern of the clouds in the rest of the sky. I would try to remove it by cloning, the patch tool or copying, pasting and rotating a selection from the good area of the sky.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

cjogo

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:21 am »

Almost like a man-made plane streak or something .. I will clone that one .. & try a edge darkening  ;)

cjogo

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »

Slight grad to the corners and a cloning in the sky ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up