Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempting to repair Epson 7900 with a 1439 error  (Read 19283 times)

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
Attempting to repair Epson 7900 with a 1439 error
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:35 am »

Has anyone else with an Epson 7900 received an 1439 error ("cap error")? I've been getting it a lot lately, and am considering trying to repair it myself.

Some background: I started getting this error a month ago, and have been getting it more and more since. The error flashes a big warning to restart your printer, and if it doesn't clear, call service. I called in, and according to Epson tech support, it is a problem with the "pump cap assembly". This is where the print head parks, and where it sits to be cleaned. The error occurs when the print head has trouble seating itself on the assembly. Tech Support recommended I restart the printer, but if the error persists, to have Decision One come out and replace the assembly. Restarted working at first, but now I get this error several times a day, so it's time to move to step 2. Since I am out of warranty, D1's estimate ran about $1000 for parts and labor. So, I wondered, why not try to do this myself?

I've been reading the instructions in the Service Manual and Field Repair Guide, and think I have it worked out. The first hurdle was realizing that each manual calls this part by a different name: Epson Tech Support calls it the "pump cap assembly", the SM calls it the "Ink System" and the FRG calls it the "Cleaning Unit". But if you look, you see that they are all the same thing.

Second, I've been encouraged by Eric Gulbransen's videos (thank you Eric! I owe you some "manure"). Watching his print head replacement video while reading the Service Manual really helps illustrate the process. His video shows how to take apart the left side, and the pump cap assy is on the right, but it appears to be the same exact process. I have a pump cap assembly (part#1569512) on order from Compass Micro, and am ready to give this a try. I figure, the worse that can happen is I do it wrong and need to get Decision One out here anyway.

Has anyone else every replaced the pump cap assembly? Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:36:33 am by dansroka »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
Re: Attempting to repair Epson 7900 with a 1439 error
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »

I've done the procedure.  Far less complicated than the head.  If you are considering doing it yourself, there's a very good chance you can manage it.  Confidence mainly comes inappropriately when you're in your teens...

One thing to be careful of - when you pull off the right side cover be very careful not to tear the ribbon cable, which is now hanging loose through the hole in the cover where the control board used to be.  You would have removed the control board already, before trying to remove the side cover.  So as you slide the cover off, the ribbon cable needs to sneak safely through that opening, and not get torn by any of the cover screw mounts.  You'll see when you're doing it.  Just keep your eye on it you'll be fine.  Everything else is by the book. 

If you get stuck feel free to contact me. 

Good luck partner

Dan Sroka

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:47 am »

Thanks Eric. We'll see how it all goes!

By the way, I finally found one of those elusive magnetic #1 phillips head long-shank screwdrivers on Amazon.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:56:08 pm by Dan Sroka »

happyloman

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »

Dan, did you ever attempt the replacement of the pump cap assembly?  I am experiencing the same issue and considering trying this myself also.  I'm interested if you were successful or had any advice.

Thanks!

Dan Sroka

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:32:57 pm »

Yes, I did do the repair, and it all went well. Replacing the pump/cap assembly stopped the error from reoccurring. The replacement itself was relatively straightforward and painless, as long as you have some basic comfort with electronics and opening stuff up. I meant to write it up, but just forgot! I'll write up some more detailed thoughts and try to post them tomorrow.

Dan Sroka

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 03:27:54 pm »

Here's how this repair went. If you are relatively handy, and don't get scared by the sight of open electronics, it was pretty straight foward. Being super careful, it took me around 1-2 hours.

First thing you should do is watch  Eric Gulbransen's video on replacing the print head. It's not the same part, and its not even on the same side of the printer, but his walkthrough about how to take the outer shell of the printer off makes this process much much easier. Oh, then donate some buck to him to continue his excellent work.

Next, get copies of both Epson 7900 manuals: the "Epson 7900 Service Manual" and the "Epson 7900 Field Repair Guide". You can't buy them, and no one links to them. But if you do Google searches on them, you'll be able to find them. You will need both. They cover roughly the same info, but from different perspectives. I found that the Service Manual is better for disassembly, and the Field Repair Guide is better for re-assembly. Note that the Pump Cap Assembly is called the "Ink System" in the Service Manual (diagram on pg 55, replacement outlined on page 179), and is called the "Cleaning Unit" in the Field Repair Guide (detailed instructions for removal and installation on page 39).

Then, buy a new pump cap assembly. Epson part 1569512. I got mine from Compass Micro for around $231. Call Rod at 800-388-8595.

Follow the instructions to remove the Pump/Cap Assembly. I read through them like a dozen times first. It's a big part, but don't be intimidated - it's designed to be replaced, and is only held in by a few strategic screws.

When your 7900 is open, but BEFORE you remove the Assembly, be sure to LABEL each of the wires that connect the assembly to the sub-assembly circuit board. There are 18 of them, and if you just pull them out, you will have a heck of a time figuring out which goes where. First label the wires in the existing assembly. THEN label the wires in the new assembly. Double-check that you have them all.

When you pull the wires from the sub-assembly circuit board, they don't come out straight - you need to jog them slightly to the side to release.

That's really it - the manuals step you through the whole process. Hope this helps!

crussell3

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »

I realize that this is coming a year after this thread initially appeared, and I'm sorry for that. It looks like the procedure for changing the pump/cap assembly requires a jig for the last step, something stepped with  2.0, 2.2 and 2.8 mm steps. If you could advise on how you handled the PG Cleaning step, I'd be grateful.

Dan Sroka

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 06:26:44 pm »

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Where (what PDF, what page) did you read this?

OmarR

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:32 pm »

I am also looking to replace the pump cap assembly however on page 372 of the service manual it makes mention to a PG cleaning tool "required" to check how the printhead mounts. If you were able to bypass this step, how did you do it?  Any help would be great.

Dan Sroka

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:25:00 am »

Page 372 is not a part of the pump cap assembly replacement instructions. No cleaning tool or jig was required.

The manual can be confusing - make sure you are reading just the sections related to replacing this part (some sections contain multiple repairs, one after another.
Pages: [1]   Go Up