Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to Street  (Read 2373 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Back to Street
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »

Armand, are you living under a rock? This house is in danger of going down in flames, triggered by a street/ambiguity debate. Are you sure you want to rekindle it?
You mean the kindergarten fight that's going on for 2 weeks or so? Not really, au contraire I hope it's gone soon. 

For me, novice I am at this thing called "street," the ambiguity is simple:

Webster's definition without any emotional or otherattacment: doubtful or uncertain especially from obscurity or indistinctness

Can you identify the two characters? No, they are quite anonymous in detail, age, position and really, to race. Ambiguous, I'd say.

Can you identify the setting where the two figures are? Well, the obvious is a circular stairwell, but it could be anywhere, thus, again, ambiguous.

Is it a planned, or caught image? Looks caught to me or else there would have been time to do a proper exposure on the two figures. That fits at least one common denominator of every street definition I've ever read.

So my attachment photo would fit this just fine?

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:23 am »

I think this is a pleasing image and that it is well exposed for the largest area of the imageā€”the white stairs. You can see detail in all of them, right down to the lowest. In my opinion, exposing for the stairs was the right call.

I don't think this image needs much detail in the dark clothing and faces but, if it does, it should be possible to get enough to satisfy.

I find the very small dark area in the top right corner out of place with the subtle tones in the major part of the image and I would clone away that area and replace it with some of the adjacent area and darken it a little.

I would also darken the hemisphere at the bottom centre to see if doing so added drama/tension to the image.

Great shot!
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 10:04:34 am »

A really useful critique, Roger. Thanks. I guess I could have done this in the darkroom back in the sixties but it's a lot easier to do it now in Photoshop.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up