Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paris Stairwell  (Read 10836 times)

cjogo

Paris Stairwell
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:13 am »

Up to a second floor apartment ...great architecture  ;)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Re: Paris Stairwell
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:51 am »

Composition is very satisfying to me. There are curves all over the place but the subject (the stairwell as your title proves), being black and more dominant than the other tones in the image, holds them all together well. To my mind, there is a clear start (railing at bottom centre) and a satisfying end (railing in the void in the top of the image).

Some may suggest toning down the glare in the window but that is not too bad for me because it takes the eye back from the end of the spiral at the top, down to the start of the railing at the bottom and you end up going round the picture in a continuous loop with no need or desire to exit.

Great shot.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:41:41 am »

Nicely done.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:13:01 am »

Fine composition. I'd love to see a human figure in it, maybe a silhouette, starting to climb the stairs, or maybe disappearing at the top, but then, that might make it a cliche.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:34:32 am »

Lovely shot just as is. (Adding people would spoil it, IMHO.)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Heinz

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:57:32 am »

I like the angle, different. Nice image.

seamus finn

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:48 am »

Lovely shot just as is. (Adding people would spoil it, IMHO.

On reflection, I think you're right, Eric.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:31:56 am »

Up to a second floor apartment ...great architecture  ;)
These kinds of photographs are even more common than wet pavement. Usually they are shot from above, with a mysterious person dressed in black climbing the stairs. So when a photographer can pull it off, as you have here, it is really refreshing. There's simplicity, rhythm and elegance here that is a pure joy to behold.

The lighting is warm, beautiful and looks truthful. Was there a lot of photoshop done here?

The blacks in here are velvety smooth and magnificently placed in the composition, which is smooth, flowing, and graceful. There are a million ways to come away from here with a boring photograph, you avoided them all. For me, this shows the artist as well as if you were in a reflection.

The photo definitely communicates a lyrical feeling to me by both the composition and the handling of the light. I'm usually not that interested to "compare" pictures of one photographer, but in this case, I think this is one of the best photos you have posted since I have been here.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:44:40 am by RedwoodGuy »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:38 am »

Anybody think of Atget when he looks at this? I do. Very nice, Jogo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:46:14 am »

Oh, let's all follow the leader now. I do! I do! I do!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:25 am »

No kidding. Do you even have a clue who Atget was, RG? Remember: you're different. You don't need to go look at any dead guy's photographs, so if you admit that you know, you'll sort of have stepped out of character.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:37 am »

Brevity:

I like how the lines in the curves combined with the verticals all serve to push the image upward.

Using the black of the rail against the softness of the walls and the brightness of the window provide cohesiveness to line, shape and color

Two niggles: the over brightness on the ceiling and the spot on the left wall.

Well, a third: I cannot see the artist in this shot. Sorry, I could not resist a little RGism.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

cjogo

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:08 pm »

T

The lighting is warm, beautiful and looks truthful. Was there a lot of photoshop done here?

Not much CS work on this one ... the exposure was just under a minute -- I placed the zones where I wanted them to fall and then processed the film to follow ...  thanks all for viewing  ;)

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 12:26:49 pm »

Brevity:

Well, a third: I cannot see the artist in this shot. Sorry, I could not resist a little RGism.
Well, continue it as long as you enjoy it.  
You can't see the artist, because you don't know what to look for. You don't know what to look for because you have no artistic nature in you. Sitting behind a computer working photoshop levers is not going to instill useful talents in you, unless you are shooting for becoming a video gamer.

What is ironic is that you continue to amuse yourself with this idea, under the tutelage of a guy professing that everyone must "read the books," and somehow you have read none by any artists?

Carry on now, Professor.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »

You can't see the artist, because you don't know what to look for. You don't know what to look for because you have no artistic nature in you. Sitting behind a computer working photoshop levers is not going to instill useful talents in you, unless you are shooting for becoming a video gamer.

What is ironic is that you continue to amuse yourself with this idea, under the tutelage of a guy professing that everyone must "read the books," and somehow you have read none by any artists?

Carry on now, Professor.

Do you make this stuff up? Where does this come from? I may not read the same books as you, but I can assure you I've read tons about other artists. Whether I chose to quote them or acknowledge their presence is my choice, and therefore not for you to surmise as to the why?

I'll bet money, marbles and chalk I can paint better than you, sculpt, throw a pot, cast, do a nice encaustic, make a salt, albumen, platinum or gum print or just about anything under the sun artistically better than you and that includes shooting photographs. You're a hack who is by the very definition given to you recently, a troll. You're boring.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 01:51:55 pm »

Oh, let's all follow the leader now. I do! I do! I do!

RG, I don't know why you wind members up like this. The poster whose comment you are referring to, merely said that the image of this thread reminded him of the work of another photographer.

What is wrong with that?

I did not see any suggestion that we should mimic another photographer and I am amazed that you did.

In any event, your comment is expressed flippantly, in my opinion, and is an attack on another member's comment. Would be great if you could avoid doing that and stick to comments which do not denigrate other reviewers or their comments.

You could have discussed your apparent concern by asking if the other poster was suggesting we should adopt the style of the named photographer or you could have said you hoped the other poster was not suggesting we should copy the style of the named photographer.

Please revert to your helpful critiques and do not denigrate other reviewers or their critiques.
Roger
PS  I do not want to be the critique police but I will comment on the ways I think members are undermining the purpose of this forum.

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 01:59:46 pm »

Brevity:

I like how the lines in the curves combined with the verticals all serve to push the image upward.

Using the black of the rail against the softness of the walls and the brightness of the window provide cohesiveness to line, shape and color

Two niggles: the over brightness on the ceiling and the spot on the left wall.

Chris, why did you do this? Did anyone ask you to précis RG's critique? Did any one say they had trouble reading RG's critique? I am blown away at your rudeness.

Why do you think critiquers have to express themselves as you would (assuming you had the same thoughts)? What makes you think your words are better than RG's or that your short critique is better? Are you saying short critiques are always better than long ones?

What gives you the right to decide that some of RG's comments are superfluous?

Please stop attacking other reviewers and their comments.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »

Fine composition. I'd love to see a human figure in it, maybe a silhouette, starting to climb the stairs, or maybe disappearing at the top, but then, that might make it a cliche.

Not unless she's a naked cliché, in which case, I imagine she'd be a clichée. I always enjoyed the thrills of schoolboy French - much as did Helmut Newton his ladies on staircases. Well, to be precise, his images of ladies, naked or otherwise, on staircases; his enjoyment or otherwise of such ladies is beyond my ability to know, but as I understand his better-half was often with him, perhaps the question is redundant or the enjoyment was, at best, a hurried one.

Rob C

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:29 pm »

Carry on now, Professor.

RG, I understand how insulted you felt when someone rudely tried to rephrase your critique but that insult does not justify, in my opinion, your direct attack on the reviewer.

Sure, he started it but you did not suffer any damage that you needed to retaliate for. The "he started it" excuse tries to justify one's own poor behaviour by reference to another's poor behaviour and should be restricted to the kindergarten playground.

I am sure you know how you could have responded politely without dragging yourself down to his level.

You could have even said: "Thank you for writing your 'version' of my critique. I don't know why you felt you had the right or need to do so but please never do it again without my permission. Your version does not express what I had to say."
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 02:16:00 pm »

... PS  I do not want to be the critique police but I will comment on the ways I think members are undermining the purpose of this forum.

Finally, after so many years, someone to reveal to us the true purpose of this forum. And it took him only 27 posts to figure that out.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up