Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paris Stairwell  (Read 10849 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Paris Stairwell
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »

... Please stop attacking other reviewers and their comments.
Roger

You sound like a reasonably intelligent man... you surely can see the irony in the above, can't you?

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 02:22:55 pm »

Be gentle, Slobodan; he spends life like a bat at rest. Or playing rugby. It comes with the territory.

;-)

Rob C

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 02:34:34 pm »

Do you make this stuff up? Where does this come from? I may not read the same books as you, but I can assure you I've read tons about other artists. Whether I chose to quote them or acknowledge their presence is my choice, and therefore not for you to surmise as to the why?

I'll bet money, marbles and chalk I can paint better than you, sculpt, throw a pot, cast, do a nice encaustic, make a salt, albumen, platinum or gum print or just about anything under the sun artistically better than you and that includes shooting photographs. You're a hack who is by the very definition given to you recently, a troll. You're boring.

Here we go again, two adults (I assume) locked in mortal combat, rolling on the kindergarten floor, desperate to wound each other and why? What is the fight about? It's about a major catastrophe on this forum!

What is the catastrophe? It started when one member had the rudeness (in my opinion) to publish an abbreviated version of another member's detailed critique. The member whose critique was abbreviated naturally felt insulted and responded by attacking the other's credentials, and so on.

How will the war end? I don't know but I do know that nothing good for the forum will come out of it and that much time, better spent on the purpose of this forum, will be consumed by the war. Will anyone "win"? Of course, not! They have both damaged their reputations by engaging in this pointless exercise.

Could the war have been prevented? Yes! If the abbreviator had not attacked the critiquer by commenting adversely on the critique, the critiquer would not have felt the need to attack the abbreviator. Secondly, if the first reviewer had chosen not to respond to the abbreviator by attacking the abbreviator, the war would not have got off the ground.

We cannot control what others do to us but we can choose how we respond. Please stop making comments which denigrate other members or their posts. If someone does this, please do not respond by denigrating other members or their posts.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 03:10:09 pm »

At least you could have had the decency to let RG make the first rebuttal, but as acting critique dectective, I guess you had to make a comment to show your authority.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:36 pm »

Oh, let's all follow the leader now. I do! I do! I do!

Red, two wrongs don't make a right. For a while you held the moral high ground here. This post, for me, is a turning point. It was really silly of you.

As you know, I was one of the first (if not the first) to try and make you feel welcome here - you have shown that you have a "stout heart", no doubt. Unfortunately, what you have also shown is the inability to take some friendly advice. I am pretty sure I suggested in one of my posts that you had made your point regarding who you are and what you stand for. Surely you only needed to do that once? You rise to the bait every time.

As I said in a previous post too, you have taken a fait amount of abuse here, I understand that. But do you know what? I think you have brought a lot of this upon yourself. I can't help thinking that you should let a bit of your sense of humour loose. I am sure you have one. Last throw of the dice, from what I can see. This cannot go on for ever, something has got to give...

Regards
Wiliam

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »

Oh, let's all follow the leader now. I do! I do! I do!
All posts in this thread prior to the one I just quoted were responses to cjogo's fine image. RedwoodGuy's is the first irrelevant post, a gratuitous insult, and it seems to have started another flame war.

Please, lets try to keep to the point of the thread.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

cjogo

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 02:46:28 am »

Back to the image ;D  It was a Super Wide Hassy camera -- f16  about a minute exposure... not much room in this foyer // lucky I had the wide angle to fill the frame ..

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:14 am »

Finally, after so many years, someone to reveal to us the true purpose of this forum. And it took him only 27 posts to figure that out.

Actually, I knew the stated purpose of the forum before I started posting here. The website says the forum is "A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs."

That's why I started posting. But instead of "reasoned and civilized discussion", I found that many members persist in flaming critiquers and their critiques and all too often strayed from the stated purpose of the forum.

The low point was just recently, when one member called another a troll.

It seems incredible to me that one adult photographer would call another a troll. I mean there is no one path in photography and no one response to any image. So, why would someone put down another who has just as much legitimacy to their opinion as the abuser has to his?

In my opinion, calling a person a troll brings into question the IQ level of the abuser. Unfortunately, I suspect the IQ level of the abuser is so low that he cannot appreciate how poorly such a comment reflects on him.

All very sad. I don't have any other experience of critiquing forums. Do you know of any that truly offer reasoned and civilized discussion?

I have come to realise that the reason why so many attacks occur in this forum is that this forum is not, or is poorly, moderated. Abusers get away with everything. Do you know whether it is moderated?

I cannot understand why a moderator would allow a member to call another a troll.

If a moderator is reading, I urge him/her to get the forum back on track to its stated purpose.
Roger

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:47:45 am by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:41 am »

You sound like a reasonably intelligent man... you surely can see the irony in the above, can't you?

Actually, I don't see any irony. I just see a polite request.

Maybe you could explain the irony that you see.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 03:34:45 am »

Be gentle, Slobodan; he spends life like a bat at rest. Or playing rugby. It comes with the territory.

;-)

Rob C

Another personal attack. Ha ha ha.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:00 am »

At least you could have had the decency to let RG make the first rebuttal, but as acting critique dectective, I guess you had to make a comment to show your authority.

Not sure that your comment adds to the discussion. Do you have a problem with the content of my posting?
Roger
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:39:22 am by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:18 am »

Another personal attack. Ha ha ha.
Roger

So, now you think that all those of us who love live upside down because of geography are trolls? Amazingly astounding! Bring on the southern dancing girls! Or, as in the song, the clowns?

;-)

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:42 am »

Roger read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

It applies to you and RG. You have a sophisticated and well honed approach. My IQ might not be as high as yours but it is sufficiently high to recognize what you are about. :o

stamper

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 06:28:35 am »

Quote Roger

I have come to realise that the reason why so many attacks occur in this forum is that this forum is not, or is poorly, moderated. Abusers get away with everyything. Do you know whether it is moderated?

Unquote

You have been here long enough to know it is moderated. I suspect you have now overstepped the mark and will be soon be ejected. I hope that - apart from RG - nobody else who has been provoked by you will suffer the same fate. :o

Rocco Penny

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:03 am »

Just to make this stand out a midst the din

That is a very pretty interior finish.
Stairwells done by masters are quickly becoming art in themselves.
Many stair builders put common touches on their creations,
but this stair you have captured is one of the prettiest I've seen in a very long time.
Here only the very wealthy have anything close/ even older apartments and public and commercial space don't have stairwells like this one.
Altogether a real treasure and photographed in a way that makes one think.
Thank you for the image

michael

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 09:52:35 am »

Chris and I work on the assumption that people posting here are reasonable and intelligent adults.

Apparently this is often a misconception.

Unless people can police themselves we have little interest in doing the policing. Neither of us have the patience or time to be a school-yard monitor.

Next step - instant banning of anyone that acts like a jerk.

Final step - shut down the forums. They gain us little, and simply are a pain in the ass to administer.

I am not joking.

Michael

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 11:16:13 am »

Chris and I work on the assumption that people posting here are reasonable and intelligent adults.

Apparently this is often a misconception.

Unless people can police themselves we have little interest in doing the policing. Neither of us have the patience or time to be a school-yard monitor.

Next step - instant banning of anyone that acts like a jerk.

Final step - shut down the forums. They gain us little, and simply are a pain in the ass to administer.I am not joking.
Michael

I'm sure you are not, and perhaps that's part of the purpose some people really have. I hope you don't let them ruin a good thing - at least, pretty damned good for the rest of us.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 12:34:35 pm »

Over the years we had some very spirited debates on some rather contentious issues (e.g., war, politics, elections), the last of which was about gun control. Sparks were flying, emotions ran high, but ultimately it turned out to be remarkably civil, in spite of hugely polarized views. Let me repeat: wars, politics, elections, gun control.

Are we now to trip over (gasp!) critiques!?

It is no secret that I view only a couple of individuals as responsible. I also have no illusions that some other members, including moderators, might see me as culpable... such is life. On my part, I can only do what I just did: stop enabling the former.

cjogo

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 01:36:58 pm »

Just to make this stand out a midst the din

That is a very pretty interior finish.
Stairwells done by masters are quickly becoming art in themselves.
Many stair builders put common touches on their creations,
but this stair you have captured is one of the prettiest I've seen in a very long time.
Here only the very wealthy have anything close/ even older apartments and public and commercial space don't have stairwells like this one.
Altogether a real treasure and photographed in a way that makes one think.
Thank you for the image

Very difficult to find a stairwell of such mastery > still standing in any major city, today .  This was  on the  Ile de Citie. And it took some nerve to capture ,,,but I had to have it.  ;)

nemo295

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 02:01:10 pm »

Anybody think of Atget when he looks at this? I do. Very nice, Jogo.

It's certainly reminiscent of his subject matter. But Atget would have framed the shot so that the graceful form of the molding at the top wasn't cropped off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up