Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intimacy and Eye Shine  (Read 1696 times)

BobDavid

Intimacy and Eye Shine
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:02:39 pm »

The turquoise glow reflecting from Jazz's eyes is eye shine—similar to red eye from flash photography. Here is a simple and nifty little explanation of eye shine: http://goo.gl/J13ew
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:07:49 pm by BobDavid »

dmerger

Re: Intimacy and Eye Shine
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »

Bob, you may already know, but blue eyed dogs have red eye shine, at least mine do using a flashlight.  My brown eyed dogs’ eye shine seems to vary from turquoise, golden, to almost white. Most often it’s more golden. I’ve never tried to research why the different colors, but it would be interesting to know.
Dean Erger

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:54:21 pm »

Very interesting. I will borrow a blue-eyed dog to test. ... Thanks for your comment. If you have any, please post some eye eyeshine photos.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:25:22 am by BobDavid »

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:22:52 pm »

I'll look to see if I have any.  I likely deleted them as rejects.  :'(  Maybe I can take some more.

The red eye shine isn't nearly as bright as for my brown eyed dogs, and doesn't seem to vary much in color.  The color for my brown eyed dogs seems to vary depending on the angle of the light.  When they're farther away from me, their eyes glow a light golden color, but when they're closer the color turns more a light turquoise.  These observations are all with my headlamp or flashlight.  A camera flash might be different.

BTW, I admire your dog photos and appreciate how difficult it is to capture them.  I've had very little success in photographing my dogs.

I'm off to go for my usual night walk with my dogs.  I've been paying a little closer attention to their eye shine since your post.
Dean Erger

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:30:24 am »

My wife and I take our doggies for nightly walks too. We enjoy the ritual, especially during this time of year in Florida when the temps are moderate and the humidity is low.

Per doctor's orders, I am required to take two walks a day. When it's nice, I take Jazz along. Here's a photo I took with my droid. The iPhone cams are better.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:45:38 am by BobDavid »

dmerger

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:48 pm »

Here are some quick snaps I took tonight, with flash, just to show eye shine, plus one to show the natural eye color.  Looks like the angle of the light makes a big difference.  Both are blue eyed dogs.
Dean Erger

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:01:51 am »

Thanks for posting the photos--very interesting. I like your photos and your dogs looks super!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:04:46 am by BobDavid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up