Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to extract the beauty hidden by chaos  (Read 2262 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Trying to extract the beauty hidden by chaos
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »

I seem to have posted far to many images on LuLa recently, so I will now hold off for a while after this post and only comment on the work of others.

Please forgive me  :)

Dave

dmerger

Re: Trying to extract the beauty hidden by chaos
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »

As far as I’m concerned, there is nothing to forgive.  I enjoy looking at your and other people’s photos, so I wouldn’t object to your posting more photos.  (I have to admit, however, that I rarely comment on photos or read other’s comments on photos, for reasons that I’m sure you understand. ;))
Dean Erger

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »

I am not, nor ever have been a proponent of chaos in nature. By it's very existence, nature, while sometimes appearing chaotic, has a plan for everything. Each limb, branch, vine tendril, flower, stamen or sepal has a time directed place to be...thus, what you are looking for is something unnatural and that will have to be mademade or in the very least, altered by man.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »

“Beauty hidden by chaos” = fractals, if you look close enough.  You may be able to spot some fractals in Dave’s photos. At least it’s another way to appreciate his photos.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:57:17 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 07:12:02 pm »

I am not, nor ever have been a proponent of chaos in nature. By it's very existence, nature, while sometimes appearing chaotic, has a plan for everything. Each limb, branch, vine tendril, flower, stamen or sepal has a time directed place to be...thus, what you are looking for is something unnatural and that will have to be mademade or in the very least, altered by man.

Not really sure what you are telling me there, but that's OK and so all I can say by way of reply is to explain, that all three images are of objects and things that had placed themselves in their place naturally and that looked totally chaotic in their growth. My thoughts were to try and see/capture something that I thought was beautiful but that was hidden within this natural looking mess.

I agree that to the plants and trees etc, it wouldn't be chaos should they be able to think about it or even care to think about it, just the simple striving to exist, but that existence had created an apparent randomness that was hard to frame in a pleasing way, as we normally look for order and patterns, even when none exist, we still try to create it by whatever means are available to us. There was no photograph to be seen here and probably no one had ever looked or even wanted to look, that was my challenge, was it possible to find something hidden when there was apparently nothing to be found and where no one would care to look - photographically speaking of course.

Dunno if I succeeded, but I certainly enjoyed the trying. It is a good exercise which I highly recommend to everyone.

Dave.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:15:59 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:49:56 pm »

I know what you were aiming for and what you are now saying...I ws on one of those odd rolls where I thought I saw clarity...but once again, it was through muddy glasses.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »

I know what you were aiming for and what you are now saying...I ws on one of those odd rolls where I thought I saw clarity...but once again, it was through muddy glasses.

What happened to you that would make you say that?

Are you saying it is wrong to attempt this kind of thing or that it turned into a blind alley for you - I am not questioning or against what you have written, but it does make me wonder why? You sound defeated in some way.

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:33:14 pm »

Dave,

I have enjoyed your posts a lot. I remember when you first moved to Isle of Skye you showed us lovely landscapes near your new home. More recently you have been experimenting with smaller, more intimate scenes, and I find these very appealing, so I hope you'll keep on posting images.

Of the present bunch, the first is the least interesting to me, but fine as an experiment.

As for "Chaos," in mathematics "Chaos Theory" is the branch of math that includes fractal geometry and the Mandelbrot Set. And yes, the theory suggests that most things in nature that appear chaotic do in fact have considerable structure if you look for it.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:50:09 pm »

Sorry, Dave. I was trying to be funny because after I saw what I wrote, it seemed pretty fuzzy around the edges. I think Eric said scientifically what I was trying to say via the natural way of nature.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:16:07 pm »

Sorry, Dave. I was trying to be funny because after I saw what I wrote, it seemed pretty fuzzy around the edges. I think Eric said scientifically what I was trying to say via the natural way of nature.

No problem Chris, I just thought you sounded a little bit unhappy, so it is I that should apologise for getting the worng end of the stick - sorry.

Dave

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 05:30:52 am »

#3 for me. The lighter tree trunk contrasts well with the rest of the image.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:08 pm »

Posting too many images on a photography forum.  I can see the problem with that...

Okay, no, I can't, really!   ???

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up