Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love those Sunsets and Sunrises  (Read 8273 times)

PhotoEcosse

Re: Love those Sunsets and Sunrises
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 06:14:08 am »

I think you are missing the point, Stamper.

All I am saying is that it is galling when you see a wonderful sunrise or sunset, take a great photograph of it (as Dave has done) and no-one will believe that such a fantastic scene actually existed.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:46 am »

I have shot many sunsets and sunrises in my time, but this is one of the most colourful sunsets that I have ever seen and been able to photograph.

Dave,

May I suggest you submit your images in the sRGB colorspace? As it currently is, the thumbnails do not even remotely represent the actual image, but additionally, the resulting "colormanaged" views suffer from severe channelclipping which makes the colors go all over the place. (At least on my non-wide-gamut sRGB-ish display).

Therefore, I have a hard time viewing the scenes as they may have been in reality. I either see the dull colors of the thumbnail, or I see oversaturated clipped colors. Neither of these 2 options do the scenery or your vision about the scenery any justice.

Compositionally: I really like the layering and tonal and color transitions in the last image, at least in the "colormanaged" view, but i am desperately looking for a point-of-interest. I recall your boat in golden light recently.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

stamper

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 06:57:26 am »

I think you are missing the point, Stamper.

All I am saying is that it is galling when you see a wonderful sunrise or sunset, take a great photograph of it (as Dave has done) and no-one will believe that such a fantastic scene actually existed.

I do take your point and I think we are on the same wavelength.  :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »

I do not see why you had to replace the OP photo? It was rather good. The fact that I would tweak it tiny little bit, either by decreasing red/orange saturation or by increasing the black point for the front strip of land, does not mean it is bad by any stretch of imagination.

The layering of those land strips appears now perfect in all three posted photos, btw. I would now top that by increasing sky saturation in all of them. I know, I am hard to please ;)

OK Slobodan, here is the OP back again but with the tweak(s) as per your suggestions above. Now c'mon, are we pleased yet???  ::)

Latest version of this image now in sRGB  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:00:24 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 05:58:04 pm »

Dave,

May I suggest you submit your images in the sRGB colorspace? As it currently is, the thumbnails do not even remotely represent the actual image, but additionally, the resulting "colormanaged" views suffer from severe channelclipping which makes the colors go all over the place. (At least on my non-wide-gamut sRGB-ish display).

Oscar I am deeply ashamed to say that I have not done as you suggest or as I said I would do some weeks ago, please forgive me. I have an action you see that I save out all my files for upload onto Lula and for the life of me I cannot remember to add the sRGB colour space settings to the end of it, it would only take me a matter of seconds to do it as well, but can I remember? Can I heck.

I have now written this onto the back of my hand and will certainly do it tomorrow, so please bear with me until I get a chance to reload/replace the images you see here currently  ;D

Which I have now done..

Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:14:30 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 06:29:20 pm »

... Now c'mon, are we pleased yet???  ::)

If you insist... ok, just kidding.

Yes, looks better. You see, this sRGB issue skewed my later comments (about increasing saturation), as I either judged it by the thumbnails (and now I see why they appeared muted) or I saw them on my iPad (not certain how it color manages). In any case, there is a huge discrepancy between thumbnails and enlarged version (at least on my iMac and Safari).

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »

If you insist... ok, just kidding.

Yes, looks better. You see, this sRGB issue skewed my later comments (about increasing saturation), as I either judged it by the thumbnails (and now I see why they appeared muted) or I saw them on my iPad (not certain how it color manages). In any case, there is a huge discrepancy between thumbnails and enlarged version (at least on my iMac and Safari).

But the reason I keep forgetting to swap colourspace, is because any decent colour is hard to see on my laptop anyway, as it isn't colour calibrated, in fact it is dowright awful, but that's where I upload from, my main imaging system never goes on-line. Yes I know I should get the laptop calibrated, but it is so old and cranky and full of cr*p that I really should retire it and get a new one. I will have to speak to head office  :o

Dave
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:48:16 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Tonysx

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 08:13:33 pm »

OK Slobodan, here is the OP back again but with the tweak(s) as per your suggestions above. Now c'mon, are we pleased yet???  ::)
Dave

Interesting comments all round! My preference is for your first submission. But, I wasn't there, I don't know what you saw. With your second submission (the 4 images), I liked shots 2 and 4, but that's just me! Send me a bottle of Talisker and I'll support you to the end! If you print them, print the one you like, not Stamper's or Slobodan's.
‘Be you ever so high, the law

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »

Oscar - Latest version of all these images now in sRGB, hope this is OK now?

Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:04:32 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »

... Latest version of all these images now in sRGB...

That's a good first step! Catching up with with the know-how, I see.

Now, what were you saying about replacing that Atari 64 you are working on? ;D

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »

Interesting comments all round! My preference is for your first submission. But, I wasn't there, I don't know what you saw. With your second submission (the 4 images), I liked shots 2 and 4, but that's just me! Send me a bottle of Talisker and I'll support you to the end! If you print them, print the one you like, not Stamper's or Slobodan's.

I bought a bottle of Talisker the other day (and very nice it is too) but it is now selling for £35 a bottle - yikes!!

Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:32:04 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »

That's a good first step! Catching up with with the know-how, I see.

Now, what were you saying about replacing that Atari 64 you are working on? ;D

Good grief, I used to have an Atari 64 and before that a Commadore with a tape loader - utter rubbish it was. I first learnt how to program on a BBC micro, but when the Amiga 500 came out, now that was a computer.

I have not broached the subject with the boss yet  :-X

Here's yet another one of my many sunset shots - Bill will like this one, its got a lighthouse in it. The light bean came around about every ten seconds or so, so I just counted 1,000, 2,000 etc and then held down the button on the cable release - and before anyone asks, yes I had to tweak up the beam slightly, it was just so faint, but I only did it sligthtly - honest.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:48:40 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 06:31:42 pm »

The  colours in this one were from the smoke from forest fires on the other side of the ridge.

Fiery Sunset by wolfnowl, on Flickr

On this one I really had to boost the saturation in the oranges and yellows just to make them visible.

Sunset by wolfnowl, on Flickr

Mike.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:33:41 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 06:54:17 pm »

Fabulous mood in the second one, Mike. Love it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 01:51:33 am »

Thanks for saying so!  Right place, right time.  Of course, since I live 200 yd from the ocean I should go there more often...  ::)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Tony Jay

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:24 am »

Fabulous mood in the second one, Mike. Love it.
I'm with Slobodan!

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:57 am »

I'm with Slobodan!

Tony Jay
Me too!
You've got a great island for photography, so you should be out with camera at least 6 hours every day!   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:51 pm »

+1. Blue clouds, black water. I like these unexpected hues.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 06:38:06 am »

Thanks for saying so!  Right place, right time.  Of course, since I live 200 yd from the ocean I should go there more often...  ::)

Mike.

Here in Scotland no-one lives more than 200 yards from the ocean.

Well, that's maybe a slight exaggeration but certainly no-one lives more than 30 miles from the sea.

I remember reading that, in the entire UK, there is nowhere more than 80 miles from the sea (somewhere in Oxfordshire, I seem to recall, is farthest).
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

rambler44

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 11:12:46 pm »

My favorite is the "Heast View 2"  I enjoy the soft colors of the sky and the wonderful blue tone of lake and mountain.  It makes no difference to me how you reached the final image. 

How many times have I viewed a sunset and thought, "If someone painted a picture of that, people would say, 'the sky could never look like that'. "

Raise your hand if you admire Ansel Adams.  Do you know how many hours he labored in a dark room editing his photos?  If he left the negatives in liquid just a few seconds too long, results could be drastically different than what he hoped to achieve.  Be grateful for our one-click editing abilities in PS!

Don't believe any photo?  I saw an amazing image of a Mongolian warrior on a galloping horse in front of a setting sun.  The photographer said he paid the guy $10 to ride his horse back and forth so all members of the photography class could be assured of a try the same dramatic image. 

Another image the same photographer showed was of an old chevy with open doors and trunk open parked in front of the doors of an old church in Cuba. Originally he saw the car parked across the street perpendicular to other cars.  He paid the guy $5 to park in front of the church and open the doors.  It was a great photo!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up