Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: seeking lustre paper ideas  (Read 3533 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
seeking lustre paper ideas
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »

Hey folks,
moab lasal exhibition lustre seems to be out of stock everywhere in 36" rolls and I've run right out of my own stock. I'm curious what similar lustre papers you like? I don't care about oba's in fact I tend to prefer papers with them. Any suggestions at a similar price point? I've been wholly unimpressed with inkpress and find kodak's offering to be marginal, don't care for Red River and otherwise haven't tried a ton because I've been pleased with Moab....
many thanks
Mark

hugowolf

Re: seeking lustre paper ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:41:02 pm »

There aren't too many papers that call themselves lustre/pearl/satin in a similar weight to the Moab Exhibition Lustre; most are in the 260-270 g/m² range. I don't know about price, but Hahnemühle has Fine Art Pearl 285 g/m², Photo Rag Pearl 320 g/m², and Photo Rag Satin 310 g/m².

If you don't want to pay for cotton, there are a bunch of baryta papers with lustre/pearl/satin surfaces including Canson Baryta Photographique and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.

Brian A

Sal Baker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »

Save yourself a lot of time and order the manufacturer sample packs from a place like B&H.  Also download the ICC paper profiles from the manufacturer's website.  The packs are cheap and if you order them together the shipping will be about the same as ordering just one pack.

I received the Canson and Harman packs last week and its been like Christamas all over again.  Every day, a new paper to try...I'm having a great time and learning a lot about how these papers look with my images.

Sal

TSJ1927

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »

If you can find any left (Canon Heavyweight Glossy Photographic Paper -300 gsm) Buy as much as possible!   Or, Lexjet E-Satin (same weight, maybe same paper).

TSJ1927

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »

My last comment should have read  "Canon Heavyweight Satin Photographic Paper  300 gsm"

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »

Hey folks,
moab lasal exhibition lustre seems to be out of stock everywhere in 36" rolls and I've run right out of my own stock. I'm curious what similar lustre papers you like?
Mark

Felix Schoeller H72710 Ultra White Alpine Glacier RC 300 gsm is identical, the 270 gsm only a bit lighter in weight. Two Kodak Qualities come close but are lighter in weight, 255 gsm.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

snowrs

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:55 am »

Mark, if I remember correctly, I tried the Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl lately and thought it to be about equivalent to the Moab paper.  They recently raised the prices on it, but it is definitely worth a look.  I just looked on the B&H site and don't see 36" though.

bob snow

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:00:38 pm »

Mark, you don't give your location, so I'll assume it's in the USA.

I've standardized on inkjetart microceramic lustre.  Looks great, good pricing and superb service.

huguito

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:01:27 am »

I like the Inkjet deramic luster and the Epson Luster also.
The Epson seems to have a bit more grain to it

Herbc

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:58:22 pm »

Another vote for Epson premium luster-my use of it is  in b/w, fyi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up