Discontinued, please ignore

n/a
- 0 (0%)
n/a
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 24, 2013, 12:02:46 pm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-rite improved since acquired by Danaher?  (Read 12238 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
X-rite improved since acquired by Danaher?
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:02:46 am »

Poll discontinued. Please ignore.

I noticed an announcement on DpReview that Danaher was acquiring X-Rite. Assuming that acquisition went through, I would appreciate getting input on whether X-Rite has improved or not.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/12/Danaher-to-buy-X-Rite

Granted, "improvement" is a Very Broad Term. Also, it hasn't been that long since the acquisition.

The poll allows two responses, with the idea being to make a Vote, and then perhaps "Other ... with explanation". I think it would be Very Interesting to mention how long and extensive your experience has been with X-Rite? Perhaps even experience with other, related color management vendors?

Improvements (or not) in:
Customer service? Tech support? Hardware? Software? Upgrades?

[edit]
I have no/nada/zip affiliation with X-Rite or any other color management vendor other than being a customer and a few phone calls and emails to their tech support. I am a retired software composer whose hobby is photography. I've been wrestling with printing for several years now. This poll is strictly for personal curiousity. In retrospect, I can see how it might be of interest to vendors in the CM arena, but that had nothing to do with me posting the poll.

Thanks from this color management newb.
[/edit]

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:58:13 am by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: X-rite improved since acquired by Danaher?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:52 am »

If you are an XRite Newbie at the low end of the learning curve, of what possible use or interest could such a poll be to you? Are you working for, have been working for or are directly or indirectly contracted by the company or one of its competitors? What specific problems have you encountered with XRite that would make you want to engage such an exercise?

Purely as a consumer of colour management equipment and services I have my own set of concerns about how XRite does its business, but that's another discussion and nothing that would be resolved with a poll of this kind, that can only be of use to people conducting some kind of market research.

This is one of these cases where full disclosure of who you are, why you are doing this and what interests you represent would clarify matters.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:51:09 am »

Hmmmm ... I suppose it does appear "fishy" when a forum newb posts such a poll. I did try to address your concern in the OP with the wordage about being an x-rite newbie, but that obviously wasn't sufficient. I've modified the OP as noted below.

[edit]
I have no/nada/zip affiliation with X-Rite or any other color management vendor other than being a customer and a few phone calls and emails to their tech support. I am a retired software composer whose hobby is photography. I've been wrestling with printing for several years now. This poll is strictly for personal curiousity. In retrospect, I can see how it might be of interest to vendors in the CM arena, but that has nothing to do with me posting the poll.

[/edit]

I think I mentioned in the OP that I bought an x-rite device + s/w on eBay, but perhaps not. Without putting a bias on the poll, some of my personal curiousity is related to "Am I the only one having problems with x-rite [fill in the blank]. Is it worth it to put many more frustrating hours into getting further along on the learning curve?"

Actually, I appreciate you (Mark) being an active moderator (official or unofficial?) of this sub-forum. Many forums get less and less valuable if not actively moderated. Please remove the poll if you think that is appropriate. Or if you think the issue is of interest, perhaps tweak/improve it and post in your name.

Also, I'll add to my LL profile (should have done that previously ... mea culpa)

[edit]
Done ... from my previous forum 'lurking', signatures seem to be minimal or not used all that much on this forum, even (especially?) by long-term, active members. I didn't come across a way to have a "Bio" or "expanded info" like many forums such as DPR/AnandTech/TomsHardware have.

Also, I'm curious about your "forum category" of "Contributor". Is that because you have written a book about Silverfast 8?
[/edit]

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:28:48 pm by l_d_allan »

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:04 pm »

If you are an XRite Newbie at the low end of the learning curve, of what possible use or interest could such a poll be to you?

Perhaps we could continue this conversation offline?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:34:35 pm »

To be clear, I am not a moderator. I simply found this activity very strange and wasn't sure of its bona fides. I am sensitive to the question of "with whom am I conversing and for what purpose" when I engage in web forum discussions.

I agree that you have a point in being concerned about aspects of how XRite performs. In my case, it's costing them business because of the sheer difficulty of getting clarity on what the various offerings do and don't do and then relating that information to optimize a purchase relative to my needs. They have also acquired other businesses and discontinued very good products rather than up-dating them, which channels customers into buying new rather than upgrading. Maybe they make more money doing things this way - whether it makes good technical sense I suppose depends on the product and the circumstances, but a moot point for consumers when the company calls the shots anyhow and we have no choice but to either buy-in or not buy-in. XRite is a very mixed bag for me. They provide some excellent tools for what they do, leader in the industry etc. etc., but I think there are rough edges. I'm still using their Pulse-Elite solution which dates from 2005, long discontinued, but still serves my purposes very well. I'll only contemplate moving beyond that when I really feel a strong need to do so, and then I'll most likely seek advice from third parties to get the purchase right.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:53:48 pm »

Not for nothing but you realize there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to color management, right? Why did you post this poll in the  Printers, Papers and Inks sub-forum?

BTW, the poll won't do diddly squat to help you learn anything of use...you may get a few pissed off people with an axe to grind, but the vast majority I suspect won't bother to engage in the poll (I for one won't) because there's little of use to learn from this poll.

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »

Not for nothing but you realize there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to color management, right?

Actually, no (red face ... sorry).

Why did you post this poll in the  Printers, Papers and Inks sub-forum?
I'm not meaning to be defensive or argumentative, but the post's I'd noticed related to profiles (and especially x-rite) seemed to mostly be in the Printers, Papers, and Inks sub-forum. In any case, to a person struggling to get printer profiles to work, the two sub-forums seem rather closely related. Six of one, half-dozen of the other? YMMV.

BTW, the poll won't do diddly squat to help you learn anything of use...you may get a few pissed off people with an axe to grind, but the vast majority I suspect won't bother to engage in the poll (I for one won't) because there's little of use to learn from this poll.

Agree. I won't re-post to that sub-forum  :P Actually, I'll give some thought to deleting the poll well before the original time period.

I think I mentioned in the OP that I bought an x-rite device + s/w on eBay, but perhaps not. Some of my interest was related to "Am I the only one having problems with x-rite [fill in the blank]? Is it worth it to put many more frustrating hours into getting further along on the learning curve?"

Or is it time to "cut my losses" and pay for profiles?

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:07 am »

I think I mentioned in the OP that I bought an x-rite device + s/w on eBay, but perhaps not. Some of my interest was related to "Am I the only one having problems with x-rite [fill in the blank]? Is it worth it to put many more frustrating hours into getting further along on the learning curve?"

I saw NOTHING relating to you buying an X-Rite profiling solution that you can't seem to figure out how to use...no.

What device? (that would go a long way to telling if you are spinning your wheels or simply clueless).

Color Management ain't all that hard these days...but it all depends on the instruments, the software and the user. Since you are a self-admitted newbie, forgive me for assuming it's user error (until proven otherwise).

You would be far better off killing the poll and simply asking questions about your problems...the odds are REAL GOOD that the problem is not X-Rite, but you. Sorry to be blunt, but posting a poll is an indicator of cluelessness, ya know?

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:41:34 am »

You would be far better off killing the poll

I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I consider the OP to be the poll itself plus the first message that expands on the question. I can modify or remove the first message, but I don't see a "Modify" or "Remove" button within the poll itself. I may "report myself" to a moderator in the first post after the poll, and ask the moderator to remove the entire thread. Your label indicates "Sr. Member", and my understanding is that you are perhaps a co-founder of LL. Can you remove the poll and the entire thread?

I suppose I can put together a "placeholder poll off in a corner somewhere" and see if I can remove it. In some SMF-based forums I've been involved in, there is a "Sandbox" for newbies to practice. I didn't see one, but sometimes I can be less than observant.

simply asking questions about your problems
I tried.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=75482.0
Besides newbie cluelessness, I think another source of the problems I've been having is that the "Save" button never enables in MeasureTool. I submitted a question on that several days ago, but haven't yet gotten a reply.

Sorry to be blunt?

Blunt is fine. Actually, that is what I prefer to speed up my learning curve, rather than posts that "beat around the bush" while the person doing the reply is "rolling their eyes".

but posting a poll is an indicator of cluelessness, ya know?

I hadn't been aware of that, but "ya learn something everyday".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 10:52:11 am »

I noticed an announcement on DpReview that Danaher was acquiring X-Rite. Assuming that acquisition went through, I would appreciate getting input on whether X-Rite has improved or not.

IMHO, no changes. Some people shifting around or missing. Nothing I can comment on. For end users, just move on and ignore all this until something does happen if it does. My experience is that things move real, real slowly over there. Lastly, keep in mind where you saw the info (DP Review)! Best to move on and take some pictures or something. A poll is unnecessary.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »

Your label indicates "Sr. Member", and my understanding is that you are perhaps a co-founder of LL.

The only reason I have a "Sr. Member" status is that 1) I'm old (just turned 59) and 2) I post a lot o LuLa. However, I am not a co-founder in LuLa and have no responsibilities on the running of this site. I do occasional videos with Mike and Chris, but I have no direct connection with this web site other than being a member...

As for your original question, I'll try to answer it in the correct forum.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:15 pm »

Jeff - puleese - 59 is "old" - gimme a break! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up