Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning.  (Read 593 times)

Sanggay

Burning.
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:26:09 am »

This is a shot of opportunity. While walking in the neighborhood, I stumbled upon this man burning dried leaves that he had just swept from the ground.
I saw the evening light shining through the trees and with the smoke from the fire created the hazy kind of scene.
I had no time to look for right angle and quickly shot from the spot where I was standing. More like a snapshot. Within second the man left the scene to do other chores. And the wind blew the smoke to another direction. I managed just 1 shot.

stamper

Re: Burning.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:11 am »

I like this. The expression on the man's face. He looks as if he has done something that he shouldn't have? Burnt his wife's clothes or all of his past belongings? The tonal value of the image is just right, not too dark or too light. A keeper!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

It's a pretty good street shot. What grabs me is the stuff in the background. Looks like he or his wife has been doing some house remodeling and what looks like a painting has been a victim of the cleanup. Maybe Stamper's right. Maybe it's not just leaves that are going into the fire.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Mjollnir

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:44 am »

It's one of those shots where I don't know why I like it; I just like it.

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:24 am »

It's a beautiful frame, with all the things in good places and lovely textures and things to look at. Ambiguity, sure. All is as the previous commenters say.

I feel, though, as if I ought to be getting more from it. I study the man's face and hunt for my reaction, and come up with only a very thin sensation of sadness. It's not something to be "fixed" in the picture, and it's probably just me. This is one of these where I can feel the photo working in my mind and trying, but it's not quite moving me.

Stieglitz' "Equivalent" photographs have the same property for me, so you're in good company ;)

Sanggay

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »

Thanks for liking this shot. I doubt I could re shoot this scene under the same condition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up