Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum etiquette—keep calm and carry on  (Read 26211 times)

Mjollnir

Re: Forum etiquette—keep calm and carry on
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:57 am »

Wait a sec....

Is there an ignore function/button at LL?

Where is it?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2013, 10:16:48 am »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2013, 10:45:56 am »

Now, Bryan, that is funny :)

dmerger

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2013, 10:48:07 am »

Below is a quote from of a post that has been deleted.

"Chris Calohan

« Reply #99 on: Today at 08:54:30 AM »   

Well, Dean, I cannot speak for anyone else on this forum, nor would I make such an attempt but either you are reading all of this through rose-colored glasses, or you're just spewing for the sake of spewing.

I can assure you I don't post with anyone else's approval or in collusion with anyone. Roger and RG are so close in response that often I had to double check to see who was the poster. You're not too far behind but I find you a tad less obnoxious so have not put you on the ignore list...yet.

Could it possibly be that we all are constructing our observations on a singular theme: brevity, thus our responses cannot be anything but similar in context? I am quite sure my writing style is significantly different than the others you've mentioned and they from me. Your dictionary won't help you on this dilemma. You get to figure it out for yourself."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Chris, you mean that my comment was unfair?  I was just spewing?  Oh, my!  

Maybe you’re reaction is just because you disagree with my other posts?  I doubt that you’d be quite so quick to criticize a similar post if it were made by one of your alter egos.  ::)

To help settle our disagreement, let’s ask a third party whether my post was unfair and just spewing.  I’ll even agree to let that third party be one of your alter egos:  Stamper.  What do you say, Stamper, would you agree that a post like mine was unfair and just spewing?  

(Oh, Chris, I see you deleted your post.  I’m sure it must have been inadvertent.  You wouldn’t be trying to hide anything, like hypocrisy, would you?)

For those who may not understand what’s going on here, my post was a parody of a nearly identical post made by Stamper here:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=75336.0  Look for Reply #17.  I just copied his post, typo and all, and then changed it so that it was directed at different “alter egos”.  

The reaction to my parody by the “alter egos” says more about them than could ever be conveyed with words alone.  Priceless!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:50:41 am by dmerger »
Dean Erger

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2013, 10:56:42 am »

Seriously, Dean!?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:15 am »

I deleted it in staying with proper ettiquete as per the Admins recent posting as to "jerks" will be removed immediately. I did not want to be construed as such a person therefore DELETED my post which I do not feel you had any right to repost either in part or full. To me, that certainly would qualify as a jerk move.

You do as you wish per third party interventions as you just earned the coveted, "ignore post" from me
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2013, 11:02:35 am »

Hmm .....I have read the posts of Stamper, Russ, Slobodan, Rob, Chris, and Eric, and I find it rather remarkable that so many posters in the same thread have thoughts and a writing style that is very similar. All like to avoid detail and explain their thoughts cryptically. The coincidence is remarkable. If I am wrong to draw attention to this and there isn't a connection between them, then I am apologising to the posters. Now where is the dictionary so I can find the definition of alter ego?   ;)
I am honored that you include me in your Hall of Fame. I do admire Stamper, Russ, Slobodan, Rob, and Chris, although I have never met any one them in person. And this is the first time in my memory that anyone has claimed that my writing style has any similarity to anyone else's.

Thank you, Dean!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

dmerger

« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2013, 11:03:56 am »

Gee guys, RedwoodGuy and Roger make your ignore lists, but I only make the cut with Chris?  I’m kind of feeling like Rodney Dangerfield.  ;D
Dean Erger

Rob C

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

Hmm .....I have read the posts of Stamper, Russ, Slobodan, Rob, Chris, and Eric, and I find it rather remarkable that so many posters in the same thread have thoughts and a writing style that is very similar. All like to avoid detail and explain their thoughts cryptically. The coincidence is remarkable. If I am wrong to draw attention to this and there isn't a connection between them, then I am apologising to the posters. Now where is the dictionary so I can find the definition of alter ego?   ;)

You would never make a good editor; we write quite differently regarding grammar, construction as well as cadence and flow. But you're right: we are similar in that we all use English.

Rob C

dmerger

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:54 am »

Eric, Rob, you mean that I was unfair to say that your writing styles are similar?  Really?  Maybe once again we should ask Stamper whether such types of comparisons are fair?  ;D

By the way, I'm glad to see your comments to my post.  Now, if only Stamper and Russ would do so, too, all the "alter egos" would be represented.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:23:36 am by dmerger »
Dean Erger

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2013, 11:35:41 am »

Gee guys, RedwoodGuy and Roger make your ignore lists, but I only make the cut with Chris?...

Corrected now.

Mjollnir

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:25 am »

You would never make a good editor; we write quite differently regarding grammar, construction as well as cadence and flow. But you're right: we are similar in that we all use English.

Rob C

Thanks for properly using a semi-colon, but an editor would know that there are two spaces after a colon. ;-)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2013, 12:15:03 pm »

Thanks for properly using a semi-colon, but an editor would know that there are two spaces after a colon. ;-)

Au contraire, mi capitan:

"If you are using a typewriter, 2 spaces after a period or colon, 1 space after all other punctuation marks like a comma or semicolon.

If you are using a computer with a word processor or any other type of program the rule is one space after all punctuation. More than one space will cause unsightly gaps between words and sentences."
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

dmerger

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2013, 12:36:27 pm »

One thing that I find a little surprising about Chris’s and Eric’s replies is that Stamper started this alter ego nonsense just a couple days ago.  Chris and Eric both actively participated in that nonsense, yet they appear to have been clueless that my post was a parody, even though my post was virtually identical to Stamper’s post.  It just goes to show that, no matter how obvious and blatant the hypocrisy, some people are blind to their own hypocrisy.  Moreover, even when confronted with their hypocrisy, they refuse to show any regret or shame.  I wish it were not so, but Chris’s and Eric’s conduct is not unusual.  All you have to do is read or watch the news to see such conduct daily.

Slobodan was also a very, very active participant in that alter ego nonsense, but apparently he at least was able remember doing so.  Even so, he didn't acknowledge, or show any regret or shame, for not only participating in such nonsense but spreading it to other threads.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:52:53 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

Richowens

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:34 pm »

Come on Dean,

Give it a rest already and let this atrocious thread die a peaceful death.

It is better to just walk away from a fight than to engage needlessly and be carried away.

Rich

dmerger

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »

Yeah, you’re right. 
Dean Erger

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

I am honored that you include me in your Hall of Fame. I do admire Stamper, Russ, Slobodan, Rob, and Chris, although I have never met any one them in person. And this is the first time in my memory that anyone has claimed that my writing style has any similarity to anyone else's.

Thank you, Dean!

I feel rather insulted to have been left out. Boo hoo.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:34 pm »

Eric, Rob, you mean that I was unfair to say that your writing styles are similar?  Really?  Maybe once again we should ask Stamper whether such types of comparisons are fair?  ;D

By the way, I'm glad to see your comments to my post.  Now, if only Stamper and Russ would do so, too, all the "alter egos" would be represented.  

Unfair, no; it's got nothing to do with the concept of fairness.

Eric doesn't usually let himself go terribly far very often (on the written pages to which I have access), so without a longer body of work in one post it is difficult to come to an accurate conclusion. Clearly, slight evidence hasn't prevented you from forming a firm opinion. You may be mistaken, but I admire confidence!

However, formimg such opinion on slight evidence also removes you from being a capable detective unless you work for the parallel universe that is virtual Dade County.

Not editor, and now not detective... have you tried photography?

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2013, 02:47:39 pm »

That depends: in the States, folks often use a capital letter right after a colon, but not so in the UK.

I have never come across the custom to which you refer, but that doesn't mean what you write isn't correct... that's what it means to view life through a camera: you miss the bigger picture.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up