Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Testament  (Read 1828 times)

RedwoodGuy

The New Testament
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:32 am »

Here's a photo for any kind of comment you prefer.

Photo Op

Re: The New Testament
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:49 am »

Here's a photo for any kind of comment you prefer.

Why is the book out of focus?
David

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:10 am »

Oh man! Does this have contrast, gesture and implication! Technically, I wish the title was in focus, but with the overall context, I know exactly what I am looking at. A VERY powerful image I think. Ironically, the eye contact is almost demonic and the B/W redering is also fitting (ie, contrasty, little room for thinking in shades of gray).
EDIT: I just noticed the pointing finger of his right hand, VERY powerful part of this image, I think, so I would want to crop just above the end of the elbow of his left arm, FWIW.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:37:17 am by David Eckels »

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:44:15 am »

Oh man! Does this have contrast, gesture and implication! Technically, I wish the title was in focus, but with the overall context, I know exactly what I am looking at. A VERY powerful image I think. Ironically, the eye contact is almost demonic and the B/W redering is also fitting (ie, contrasty, little room for thinking in shades of gray).
EDIT: I just noticed the pointing finger of his right hand, VERY powerful part of this image, I think, so I would want to crop just above the end of the elbow of his left arm, FWIW.
Thanks David. Your crop is exactly correct, and I will do that. Good point. Yes, it is a compromised image, and I would have preferred if the title had been sharp. I was disappointed when it wasn't. The part I liked was capturing that demonic look, the part I didn't like is that the image has a focus flaw. C'est la vie.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:50:52 am »

the part I didn't like is that the image has a focus flaw.
More irony: he may not understand what's in the book! C'est la vie!

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »

Why is the book out of focus?

Same question. The rest of the book and the hand itself seem sharp enough, so it doesn't seem like it's a DOF or camera movement issue.

Other 2ยข ...
  • With just a quick glance (and without the title), I could have missed that it was a small NT with blurry title (plus Psalms and Proverbs, which causes some dissonance with the title).
  • IFF you know the viewer-without-title will take the time to look close enough to be aware that it is a pocket-size-Bible, then the out-of-focus becomes a plus. Did you blur the Bible title intentionally?
  • I'd have been tempted to sharpen the crud out of the Bible title to help out the viewer not missing this important piece of the puzzle.
  • Also,  I was distracted by what looks like mediocre scanning (or maybe sensor dust?) in the upper left.
  • The finger almost appears to be pointing at the car hubcap. Perhaps make the hubcap even darker to further obscure it?
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:06:03 pm »

I don't find this image satisfying. Sure, the man looks odd but I don't have a clue as to what he is doing or his circumstances. So, it's puzzle!

Good photographs for me should be more than this!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »

I don't find this image satisfying. Sure, the man looks odd but I don't have a clue as to what he is doing or his circumstances. So, it's puzzle!

Good photographs for me should be more than this!
Roger
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

WalterEG

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:28:53 pm »

For me, there is a clue to the narrative in that it is a Gideons bible.  Typically, the Gideons distribute their bibles through accommodation sites like Hotels, Motels and Hostels.

Is this chap a regular reader of the New Testament or is it something that he has just grabbed?  Is he about to be 'born again', or did he have his Damascus Road epiphany some time back?  Maybe he evangeises at bus stops and corners to anyone who'll listen ..... and many who won't.

There may well be shortcomings in the crafting of the image, but as a source to ponder, it is more inspiring than many.

W

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:58 pm »

I just wonder if good images should need so much analysis?

Is it a sign of an uninteresting image that members examine minutiae in the image, such as, the colour and font of the book"s title, and so on?
 ;D
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »

I just wonder if good images should need so much analysis?

I am happy to get something to think about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up