Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worn away  (Read 4602 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Worn away
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:29 am »

try to envision is as a flat slab. It is! I promise!
How can it be with that modeling light coming from the right?

amolitor

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:50:22 am »

There are shadows being cast on the slab by things which are out of frame. The lichens also assist in the illusion. It's startling!

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 10:53:22 am »

There are shadows being cast on the slab by things which are out of frame. The lichens also assist in the illusion. It's startling!

Wow. I just can't see it. Maybe if I turn it upside down ;) Not meaning to trivialize the image.

dmerger

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:48 am »

Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my post.  Eric wrote: “I've seen many gravestones that look similar to this one here is Massachusetts, especially in 18th century cemeteries.”  To which Slobodan replied: “A tombstone without inscription?”  It seemed to be that it would not be unusual or surprising to find a lot of 18th century tombstones where the inscription had worn away.

Also, I meant no criticism that anyone didn’t recognize the photo as a tombstone.  It’s very understandable, even though it seemed pretty obvious to me.  I was just surprised that none of the first three posters could recognize it.

You never know what people will read into what you write.  I meant my initial post to be good natured.  If anyone read it to be derogatory or critical, it was not my intent.
Dean Erger

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:03 am »

If anyone read it to be derogatory or critical
Not at all.

dmerger

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 11:32:13 am »

Dave, it's a vertical standing flat slab, not one laying flat on the ground.  Does that help clear up it up?
Dean Erger

amolitor

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 11:34:12 am »

Also note that the shadow on the left half of the stone continues on the ground, it's not a modeling shadow at all! There's SOME sort of odd window or something casting a light onto the right side of the thing.

I love this thing more and more, the more I look at it. Not, I regret, as a photo, but as an illusion ;)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:49 am »

Dave, it's a vertical standing flat slab, not one laying flat on the ground.  Does that help clear up it up?
It looks to me like a curved but angled surface with that light coming from the right side of the frame. Don't worry, I can't see craters on the moon--they always look like raised bumps and Escher (sp?) would give me nightmares!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »

A tombstone without inscription?
Most gravestones I've encountered only have inscriptions on one side. This is obviously the back side.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »

Most gravestones I've encountered only have inscriptions on one side. This is obviously the back side.

No, no, that's too pat; the backside would carry the inscription Please View From The Other Side. Those guys with the chisels got paid by the letter. Union rules.

Rob C

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 03:04:33 pm »

Hi all,

The headstone is outside an ancient and very tumbledown little church in Lochcarron and no there wasn't any writing visible on it, either side. The light is coming from slightly to the left and to the rear of me. The shadow is being cast by an old tree growing out of the equally tumbledown dry stone wall surrounding the graveyard, also behind and slightly to the left of me.

I know this is not an earth shatter image or something I would ever wish to print, but I thought it worth sharing with you all by way of explaining what led to its creation.

Dave   :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:06:33 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:13 pm »

Hi all,

The headstone is outside an ancient and very tumbledown little church in Lochcarron and no there wasn't any writing visible on it, either side. The light is coming from slightly to the left and to the rear of me. The shadow is being cast by an old tree growing out of the equally tumbledown dry stone wall surrounding the graveyard, also behind and slightly to the left of me.

I know this is not an earth shatter image or something I would ever wish to print, but I thought it worth sharing with you all by way of explaining what led to its creation.Dave   :)

Well, David, you certainly got a lot of people confused! And that can't be too bad.

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 05:44:16 pm »

I remain convinced that there are:

- people who see the object as it is, a flat slab
- people who see it as a rounded pot-like object, which is a very convincing optical illusion in this case...

Wait! I know!

This must be the definition of ambiguity. It thus belongs to Russ' Street Thread. :P

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 05:46:28 pm »

... I meant my initial post to be good natured.  If anyone read it to be derogatory or critical, it was not my intent.

Too late... I was already offended. >:(

P.S. Just kidding!

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

No, no, that's too pat; the backside would carry the inscription Please View From The Other Side. Those guys with the chisels got paid by the letter. Union rules.

Rob C
Ah, I see. So Dave's headstone was for someone who refused to pay the union chiselers.

Dave, I like the photo. It has charm. I have photographed many headstones myself, and almost always the back side, since the patterns of lichen and weathering on old stones are usually much more interesting (to me) than the inscriptions.

And SB: I'm sorry you haven't yet come across a headstone with an uninscribed face. Come to Massachusetts some time and I'll show you some.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 05:03:37 am »

Ah, I see. So Dave's headstone was for someone who refused to pay the union chiselers.

Eric

Yes, probably was, but then I forgot something when I quoted the traditional chisel-wielder's standard sting in the tail: had said chiseler been a real artiste, the verso would have borne his imprint, serial number and edition details.

From the evidence presented by David, this must have been the work of an artisan and not of an artiste.

So, lower middle class work, I'm afraid; not much curatorial prospect there, then.

Some clans were better than others.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up