Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do remove a lens profile from Lightroom 4.3 ?  (Read 4201 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
How do remove a lens profile from Lightroom 4.3 ?
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:59 am »

I've tried deleting all instances of it across my system, but it's still available in LR.
Using Windows 7

Profile is called 'Canon EOS 5D MarkII (Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC).lcp'

Is it hiding under a different name somewhere, but displaying to LR with the correct name ? (like icc profiles have file names and internal names that can end up different?)
If so, how do I find which of the default profile files it's disguised as ?

hugowolf

Re: How do remove a lens profile from Lightroom 4.3 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »

I've tried deleting all instances of it across my system, but it's still available in LR.
Using Windows 7

Profile is called 'Canon EOS 5D MarkII (Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC).lcp'

Is it hiding under a different name somewhere, but displaying to LR with the correct name ? (like icc profiles have file names and internal names that can end up different?)
If so, how do I find which of the default profile files it's disguised as ?
Have you tried a complete system search for all .lcp files? (ie a search for *.lcp)

Brian A

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:24 am »

Have you tried a complete system search for all .lcp files? (ie a search for *.lcp)
Yes and I've removed every instance of the lens profile across the system.

Rhossydd

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:18:26 pm »

Finally solved the problem.

The description of what the profile is called is indeed an internal name and not the file name.
You can view the profile description by loading the *.lcp into a text editor.

It turns out the offending profile was unhelpfully called; 503e76c7cbdb49e2a6cee9d51164fadb.lcp
and was in C:\Users\<name>\App Data\Roaming\Adobe\Camera Raw\Lens Profiles\1.0\Downloaded\

Now what I'd like to discover is if LR will allow multiple files for a single camera/lens combination to evaluate different lens profiles. Can anyone save me a load of work please ?

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:44 am »

Now what I'd like to discover is if LR will allow multiple files for a single camera/lens combination to evaluate different lens profiles. Can anyone save me a load of work please ?
The answer is yes.

What has tripped me up here is an undocumented feature/bug in Adobe Lens creator. If you build a profile from TIFF or JPG files the resultant lens profile won't be available to work on RAW files, ie it doesn't show up in LR at all.
(It can be edited via a text editor by changing the following line inside the profile:
<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>False</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>
Replace False by True and it works)
Preferably just build the lens profile using DNG files and there won't be a problem.
From what I can see there's no actual difference in performance between building from a TIFF and a DNG.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:15:22 am by Rhossydd »

SangRaal

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:04:11 am »

The simple answer is that yes you can have multiple lens / lens camera profiles in Lightroom for the same lens made by using adobe profiler downloader; however they have to have different names. In Lightroom 3xxx the tokina wide angle zooms(11-16 /17-35 DX - FX) were not supported, so originally I downloaded a third parties created profile it wasn't great so I made my own that was a bit more satisfactory, my recollection is that I was prompted either by lightroom or the creator program to use a different name for the profile. When Lightroom 4 came out in beta it already supported profiles for those lenses. The only problem is that when I use the auto profile in the develop module I always have to check which of the 3 or 4 profiles it picked and sometimes change to the better profile. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up