Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cityscape.  (Read 2560 times)

Sanggay

Cityscape.
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:33:04 am »

This is the city where I live, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I crop out 1/3 of the top which is an empty blue sky.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Cityscape.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:26 am »

I think the aspect ratio works very nicely and I like the smooth tonal ranges of the images. I will be curious to see what some of the others have to say. I like it. Not very deep, but sincere. By the way Sanggay, can you use the Attach feature rather than embedding the images in your post, please? I would like to be able to see a slightly larger image. I use 900-1200 pixels if that helps, exported from LR.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:00:17 am by David Eckels »

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »

It is amazing how nature can improve on a well depicted cityscape by the addition of some fortuitously fluffy white clouds.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:06 pm »

Sangay,
What kind of comments would be most useful to you?

Sanggay

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:35:59 pm »

Attached.

Sanggay

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:32 pm »

Sangay,
What kind of comments would be most useful to you?

I am here to learn. Anything that can help me to improve.  :)

nemo295

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »

I think it's a handsome landscape of a city skyline. If it were mine I'd be inclined to apply a little perspective control so the outer towers aren't leaning inward.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:37:31 pm »

For this type of images to work, there are at least two things necessary:

- an interesting foreground, or, as a minimum, a clean (non-distracting) one

- good, interesting lighting (then again, that seems universal for many other scenes)

The foreground in this one, especially on the left seems dominated by residential buildings with no particular interesting feature. The light appears to be flat, mid-day.

So, briefly, try to find a different vantage point and wait for a better light (edges of the day, mornings and evenings, usually work well, as well as clearing storm).

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

I am here to learn. Anything that can help me to improve.  :)
Ok. Start with thinking of something you want to say about that city. You live in it - think about what it means to you. Then see if you can convert that thought into a photographic idea of any kind. Don't worry too much about the result at first. Try something with no fear. See if you can send a message about your city, by photographic it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:51:38 pm »

For this type of images to work, there are at least two things necessary:

- an interesting foreground, or, as a minimum, a clean (non-distracting) one

- good, interesting lighting (then again, that seems universal for many other scenes)

The foreground in this one, especially on the left seems dominated by residential buildings with no particular interesting feature. The light appears to be flat, mid-day.

So, briefly, try to find a different vantage point and wait for a better light (edges of the day, mornings and evenings, usually work well, as well as clearing storm).

Good suggestions!  This is a well-done, touristy, 'I was here' image, but it doesn't have much to say.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Sanggay

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:19 pm »

As always thanks for your great advice. The photo was taken sometime last year. During that period, our country was badly enveloped by haze caused by forest fire in Indonesia. We had no bright blue sky for weeks. Then suddenly one morning the sky was super clear. I grabbed my camera along on my way out to work. The morning sky was boring. It had no clouds. By the time it was close to noon, the clouds appeared. I headed to an 8-storey high flats. That's where I shot this.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:49 am »

See, the challenge with photography is that this image is important to you because it has context.  It has a story.  But to someone who doesn't know the backstory of an image, it has to tell its own story; it has to be able to stand alone.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:51:49 am »

I think it's a handsome landscape of a city skyline. If it were mine I'd be inclined to apply a little perspective control so the outer towers aren't leaning inward.

My thoughts exactly.

Jeremy

amolitor

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:13 am »

Another option would be to shoot it at night. That gives a totally different look, which may or may not better suit your idea of your city. Maybe you're not a night person!

Sanggay

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 08:32:21 am »

Another option would be to shoot it at night. That gives a totally different look, which may or may not better suit your idea of your city. Maybe you're not a night person!

I have done that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up