Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 24mp D7100 announced, has no AA filter  (Read 13289 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
24mp D7100 announced, has no AA filter
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:28:14 pm »

Kinda interesting...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/

Since going full frame, have certainly missed the easy going DOF of those APS-C sensors.  Will have to take a close look.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:34:01 pm by bill t. »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: 24mp D7100 announced, has no AA filter
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:00:53 am »

Kinda interesting...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/

Since going full frame, have certainly missed the easy going DOF of those APS-C sensors.  Will have to take a close look.

Yep, it sounds like they have merged the D7000 and D300s into a single high end DX body.

I am surprised they put their very best AF module in this body (same as D4 it seems).

Cheers,
Bernard

Philip Weber

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:29:51 am »

I saw a road map online for 2013 cameras in the Japanese Nippon Camera that shows a D400 for June and a D4x in the fall.

While the D800 seldom leaves my hands in the field, I occasionally want DX for wildlife and the 24mp D7100 looks to be an improvement over the D800 in crop mode (and against my D7000 now). I've pre-ordered the D7100 as it looks to be a great camera at the price but I'm still wondering if I should wait until June and if the D400 doesn't happen by then, go for the D7100. That would also give the D7100 a little shakedown time with the early buyers.

I know it's speculation at this point and that they kept the wraps on the D7100 pretty well, but any informed guesses between now and when the D7100 ships would be welcome!

Thanks,
Phil
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:35:58 am by Philip Weber »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:38:23 am »

I know it's speculation at this point and that they kept the wraps on the D7100 pretty well, but any informed guesses between now and when the D7100 ships would be welcome!

I am not sure what a D400 would offer that the D7100 isn't already offering.

Cheers,
Bernard

Philip Weber

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:16 am »

Other that a bigger buffer, compact flash cards, all metal body and maybe little things like a 10-pin socket, probably not much Bernard, the D7100 seems feature rich, especially if their using the D4 auto focus algorithms. 

NR seems convinced the D300s and D7000 lines are merging and that the next step up from the D7100 would be the FX D600.

Hey, I thought the D7100 looked so good as to pre-order it right away and I'm betting it'll be an awesome camera but if I could have it with the items above, I'd be even more excited. Of course, being "stuck" with my D800 isn't the end of the world!  :D

Phil   

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:16:01 am »

What I'm waiting for is the announcement of Canon's successor to the 7D!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

mac_paolo

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:04:04 am »

Nital (Nikon Italy) tells it's the new DX flagship, so it's almost certain we won't have any D400.

Looking at specs alone my Nikon D300 will be replaced either by this one or a D800.
I lost any real interest in the D600.

Ray

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:57:58 pm »

The announcemet of this new Nikon offering has caught me by surprise. I should have paid more attention to the rumours. Just a few weeks ago I bought a D3200 with the hope that the extra resolution of 24mp would at least partially compensate for the less-than-excellent performance of the Tamron 70-300 VC when fully extended.

I've been pleasantly surprised that the combination of zoom-quality 300mm lens plus 24mp-quality cropped-format sensor, produces results which are approximately on a par with my Canon 50D with 100-400 zoom used at 400mm.

When I bought the D3200, I was aware of it's limitations as an entry level camera, such as 12 bit processing and no auto-exposure bracketing. However, at a cost of just $400 I felt I couldn't go far wrong. If the camera wasn't suitable for my purposes, I would give it away as a present or sell it to a neighbour.

What I'd forgotten to take into consideration was the fact that the D3200 does not have any AF Fine Tuning feature. When I attempted to compare my Nikkor 24-120/F4 with the Tamron 70-300 VC, at focal lengths that both lenses have in common, I was initially surprised to see that the Tamron appeared to be significantly sharper in the centre of the image where I'd focussed, then quickly realised that the Nikkor lens was back-focussing with this new body. Without AF Fine Tuning, there's nothing I can do about this, except use LiveView and tripod.

For this reason alone I might be prepared to buy the D7100, but when I considered all the other advantages compared with the D3200, such as 14 bit processing, a huge range of auto-exposure bracketing options of up to 5 exposures with an interval ranging from 1/3rd to 3EV, no AA filter for that slightly greater crispness of detail, faster frame rate, much better autofocussing, and a water-sealed body, then the decision was easy. I placed a pre-order immediately. I expect to receive the camera by the end of March.

Wow! Things are sure getting interesting in the Nikon world.  ;D

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:29 pm »

Hi,

Total agree with you Ray. Things are getting interesting with Nikon.

I am personally waiting for the release of the Nikon D4X which I believe will be a bigger game changer than the Nikon D800E.

It’s like been a child waiting for Christmas.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:51 pm »

Hi,

Total agree with you Ray. Things are getting interesting with Nikon.

I am personally waiting for the release of the Nikon D4X which I believe will be a bigger game changer than the Nikon D800E.

Yep, the D4X will be good enough to attract little green man from stars outside our galaxy.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:54:32 am by BernardLanguillier »

mac_paolo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:02:50 am »

I'm waiting for a public statement from Nikon which won't arrive anytime soon.
Is the D300 dead or not? I think so.

My D300 is much more robust and Pro for a number of reasons, but this thingie… man, it's good!
The spot WB alone (just to mention a little one) is a feature any Pro camera should have, yet the D800(e) misses it.
For still shots is not an issue (Raw anyone?) but for movies it's a killer feature. Have you ever tried to adjust WB in post? It's much like doing the same an a JPG. Mediocre results at best.

Then the 1/2/3 Ev bracketing. We all ask for that since 2006. 5 shots at +/- 2 Ev apart and you have more latitude than my old 9 frame 1 Ev bracketing. 3 Ev is probably too much for good HDR. Again: is it that hard to program in a firmware?

Let's just add my love for the longer focal lengths and boom: D7100 it's an almost perfect camera.
I would have preordered a D400 right away, no matter what the price, if only it had the very same specs, plus a Pro body and other things like bigger buffer size.

I'm quite sure there's at least an employee whose work is to take a killer feature away from each and every product so that no choice becomes obvious. :)

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:03 am »

Nital (Nikon Italy) tells it's the new DX flagship, so it's almost certain we won't have any D400.

That is standard practice. The last thing they want to do when announcing a new camera is depress sales by suggesting than an even newer new one is in the pipeline.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:54 am »

That is standard practice. The last thing they want to do when announcing a new camera is depress sales by suggesting than an even newer new one is in the pipeline.

Indeed. I believe that Nikon is playing a very elaborate game here where they release first a 90% appealing body that will convince 75% of the APS shooters looking for a good upgrade... and then release a D400 with to die for specs, hoping that some photographers will end up buying both.

This tells us that the D400 will be significantly more expensive (otherwise they would release it first), which tells us it is going to offer some breakthrough features. I would expect a sensor based AF a la Nikon 1 that would revolutionarize our notion of what AF speed can be, together with 15+ fps. It would probably pre-req Expeed 4 which probably means 4K video. it may also hint at a D4s sooner than we think...

100% guessing obviously. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 07:36:33 am »

I'm becoming very disappointed in Canon.

mac_paolo

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 08:22:55 am »

When Nikon announced the D5200 it didn't tell DX flagship, despite having a much better sensor than D7000/D300s.

I know that a D5200 can't be a flagship anytime soon, but it has been announced as a more evolved entry level camera, as it is.

We can't tell anything for sure.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »

better controls (for example split AF-lock and AE-lock buttons, etc), more FPS, articulated LCD, better video (1080p60+), integrated grip for APS-C body (why not ?) like D4, metering (and AF assistance) w/ sensors like in D4/D800(e) "Color Matrix Metering III" instead of "Color Matrix Metering II"... there are things you can still do on top of D7100 and stay in APS-C realm sensorsizewise

Philip Weber

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »

You're not helping me commit to my pre-order of the D7100 Bernard! I too, have this nagging feeling a killer D400 is on the way and feel like I ought to sit this one out through June, anyway. As being an early adapter of any camera can be a roll of the dice, it would probably be wise anyway.

However, the majority of the internet pundits seem to think the D300 and D7000 lines are converging (of course, no one really knows) and with this camera looking so cool, I'd really like to get it sooner than later.

Would someone who knows at Nikon please email me...I'll sign a NDA!  ;)

Phil

jduncan

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:30 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

Buffer, pro body, and maybe a new autofocus system, or the one from the D4 /D800 series.  An interesting take is that after seen little complains about moire with the D800E nikon is confident that the D7100 will do better due to increased sensor density. A D4x with a scaled sensor using this technology will be a monster with   50+ mega pixels (remember that the D800 sensor was not a direct scale up of the D7100). If they achieve good dynamic range and decent high ISO it will be a wake up call like no other for the medium format companies.

The autofocus system looks very good in paper, in particular coverage. 

Lets hope the D7100 is as good as it looks on paper.

Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 05:27:01 am »

A D4x with a scaled sensor using this technology will be a monster with   50+ mega pixels (remember that the D800 sensor was not a direct scale up of the D7100). If they achieve good dynamic range and decent high ISO it will be a wake up call like no other for the medium format companies.

If you believe in the accuracy of DxO mark measurments:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/850%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/795%7C0/(brand2)/Canon

You will see that Nikon could release today a 54mp D4x with 2 stops more DR than the 5DIII... that is if they stick to sensor technology embedable in a 600 US$ body like the D5200... Assuming that they use better parts considering a typical 7,000 US$ price point, considering also 1.5 additional years of technological development, there is little doubt that Nikon has all the cards in hand to produce any time they want a FF high res camera that may need a true 16 bits pipeline to handle its DR. Probably the first ever.

Obviously they will want to improve the high ISO image quality and a reasonnable frame rate, so they may prefer to stick to a lower pixel count to increase the universality of the camera, but if they wanted to really produce a landscaper camera focusing on ISO 100-1600 range with max 3 images per second, I do not see any technological hurdles preventing them from announcing it next week.

Cheers,
Bernard

hjulenissen

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 08:14:55 am »

You will see that Nikon could release today a 54mp D4x with 2 stops more DR than the 5DIII... that is if they stick to sensor technology embedable in a 600 US$ body like the D5200... Assuming that they use better parts considering a typical 7,000 US$ price point, considering also 1.5 additional years of technological development, there is little doubt that Nikon has all the cards in hand to produce any time they want a FF high res camera that may need a true 16 bits pipeline to handle its DR. Probably the first ever.
Assuming that making a FF sensor is a simple "extrapolation" of making a crop sensor, technologically and economically.

One might assume that making a spacecraft is just like making an aeroplane, only that it has to fly higher. I am sure that people at institutions like NASA can tell us why it is not so.

-h
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up