Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei Xenotar 80mm f2.0  (Read 16499 times)

JV

Rollei Xenotar 80mm f2.0
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:29 pm »

It only occasionally (a few times per year) shows up on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rollei-80mm-f-2-0-Xenotar-PQ-Lens-for-6008-Camera-Super-Fast-/200898514633

I already have the Schneider AFD-Xenotar PQS 2.8/80 mm, the Zeiss Planar PQ 2.8/80 mm and the Zeiss Planar PQ 2.0/110 mm.

Just wondering whether the 80mm/f2.0 would bring anything unique to the table?  And how it compares to the above-mentioned lenses?

Thanks, Joris.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:19:20 pm by JV »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Rollei Xenotar 80mm f2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:44 am »

I've had all the 80's for the Rollei system, in fact several copies of each.   My 80/2 Xenotar is a touch shaper at f/2.8 than my AF 80/2.8 PQS is but renders very similarly otherwise.  I consider it to be the better lens of them all however its heavier and it only rated PQ and not PQS.    I have tested the schneider 80/2.8's against the zeiss 80/2.8's and it seems the schneider versions can render finer detail.  I also prefer the look of the bokeh from the schneiders over Zeiss, but some I have corresponded with prefer the Zeiss look.  The wide open look of the 80/2 xenotar is different than the zeiss 110/2 look wide open.   I find xenotar more ghostly if that is a good what to describe it.   Probably I would use the 110/2 more for portraits because of the length but that's also a personal choice.   It's a neat optic for sure, and one that I had regrets about selling and had to buy back.  Almost as rare as the 60mm curtagon, but not as rare as the 30mm fisheye.  

I don't know the seller of the one for sale, but its not a bad price.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:35:05 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:40:24 am »

+1 to what eric has said.. I don't think it will last at that price.. but I don't need a second.

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:47:16 am »

Woah... I didn't realize there was a 2.0 lens apart from the 110. And this seller is in my home state too! Hmm... this is very tempting.

I am a bit concerned about the "fine dust particles" inside the glass though... that might necessitate a visit to Rollei & Hensel service in Fairfield, however Onick, the repair technician, is now in semi-retirement, so I don't know if they are even open to repairing lenses anymore. When I bought the 110mm f/2.0 last year from a German photo outfit, it arrived in completely broken condition - the aperture blades were totally stuck, but fortunately R&H were able to repair for about $450 (cheaper than sending it to DHW and much cheaper than just returning it to the original seller, seeing how rare these things are to come by in the first place).

At any rate, you get first dibs JV.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:48:53 am by DeckardTrinity »

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:16 am »

So just spoke with R&H, they're still around and do repairs of lenses, clean & lube as well, as long as they have the parts. Sounds like tiny dust particles in the lens aren't a real problem anyway (unless they show up in the photos themselves).

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:28 am »

Fine dust probably exists in all the rollei lenses if you look as the aperture and shutter blades are inside.   But I doubt this ever effects the images.  

Yes, bummer about Onick retiring.   I think Cameron at Rollei Hensel can repair stuff too, but usually it was Onick that did my work in the past.  

Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:27:54 pm »

At any rate, you get first dibs JV.  ;D

I think Iā€™m fine for the time being.  I bought 8 Rollei lenses last year.  I am OK for a while :)
It does sound like a lens I might look out for at some point in the future...  but that goes for a few others as well... :)

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 03:44:12 pm »

Ok. :)

I actually found a post over on the getdpi B&S forum where someone is offloading a few Rollei toys, including an 80mm f/2 lens... but that one looks to be in a bit rougher shape on the back (but is also $50 cheaper).

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »

I looked at that one on getDip but its seems to have significantly more wear.  Look at how the chrome is worn off the hood bayonet and the brass is showing.
I do not know either seller, only that neither of these lenses is the one I sold and later missed!  ;)
Rolleiflex USA

paulmoorestudio

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:30:32 pm »

when I paired down my rollei system that was the lens I had to keep along with the 1.4x longer which gave me a poor mans 110 focal length.  The lens from 2.8 down is really great, at 2.0 it has this very soft ghosting/flaring that has its uses.  The out of focus area when I shoot food in pretty close works really well for me even at around f4.. and using it on either my xact2 or 6008 I just like manually focusing at f2.. that extra stop really helps in the studio.  I think the finder/screen on my H2 is a touch brighter than Rollei's. 

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:14:07 am »

For anyone interested here are a couple samples of what the Schneider 80mm f/2.0 looks when shot wide open.  Just some snaps I took while testing my AFi at ISO 800 but you can see the DOF and back ground blur.

Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:45 am »

I think I posted this one before somewhere else, but also taken with the 80/2 stopped down a fair bit as you can see detail in most of her face.  Still when you are up close the DOF is tiny and bokeh is beautiful IMHO. Note this is un-retouched... just converted to B&W in C1.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:29:40 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:10:13 am »

Nice blurring on those... and a good range DoF on the b&w as well. I was trying out a new beauty dish last weekend with the 80mm f/2.8 AFD + Credo 80 (on my Hy6) and had a couple of cases where I got good focus lock but moved just a hair too much and caught the back of the head instead of the face (fortunately my kids don't mind all of my missed shots!)

I decided to give in and add to my collection, so the 80mm f/2.0 (from ebay) is now on its way! Also decided to grab the 2x teleconverter, which judging by the pics and the seller's notes on getdpi appears to be in near mint condition, at probably half what anybody else is selling one for now (heck, it was even cheaper than a Canon 2x EF extender III). These will be nice additions as spring approaches (hopefully will be able to take a day road trip down to Longwood Gardens outside Philadelphia when the weather warms up).

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:31 pm »

Deckard,
Great, let us know how you like it.

The thing I really appreciate about the 80/2 and schneiders in general is that they don't muck up the blurred background with lots of double hard lines like a lot of the fast glass for other MF systems do. It's just smooth.

ps.  a trick about the 2x .... it makes a great macro extension tube in a pinch - just remove the entire optical element package by unscrewing the three phillips screws that hold it in.  Replacement is just as simple and as far as I can tell nothing can go wrong with alignment. Just mark one corner so it goes back in the same position.
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 10:08:21 pm »

Enjoy the lens!  Given that you also own the 80mm AFD I am looking forward to hearing what your findings are.

Almost as rare as the 60mm curtagon, but not as rare as the 30mm fisheye.  

The 60mm Curtagon is relatively common in Europe I have the impression, definitely less so in the US.

The Zeiss F-Distagon 30mm f/3.5 HFT PQ lens very occasionally shows up on eBay usually for some obscene amount of money.

Supposedly there was also a Schneider Super-Angulon 30mm f/3.5 HFT PQ lens but I have never ever seen one for sale anywhere.  Does anybody know whether that lens really exists?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »

Never heard of a 30mm Schneider and I would be very surprised if one did exist so if you have any references to point me to I'd be interested to see it. I have finally seen both the 500mm APO Tele tesar and 1000mm lenses which could be the most rarest of Rollei lenses. The 60mm distagon is quite common compared to the 60mm curtagon.
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 07:29:41 am »

HI Eric, the 30mm is referenced here:
http://www.nexor.hk/pInfo.php?brandid=11&Psortid=12&pid=368&lang=en
I don't believe it exists though given that the picture appears the same as the 40mm.
Probably a concept at one time just like the 35mm AFD...

paulmoorestudio

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:20:38 am »

I think someone on that linked site made an error.. no production 30mm schneider

Lacunapratum

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:57:24 pm »

Schneider designed the first proto-type of the 35mm wide angle lens and it would have been a Super-Angulon.  Unfortunately, this first design was not very good, with un-acceptable performance toward the edges of the 6x6 frame.  The lens was then re-calculated and the new design became the S-Flektogon, again a 3.5/35mm.  This design appears ready for production, but DHW is concerned about the initial investment and potentially high production costs.  

I have had mixed feelings about it, sometimes I believe it's essential to the system, otherwise I wonder whether it would live up to expectations.  If it would be as good as the new 25mm for the Pentax system, it would certainly be worth the investment.  If not one would be better off using any of those wideangle cameras with a digital back.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:21:07 pm by Lacunapratum »

xianql

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 03:17:12 am »

It only occasionally (a few times per year) shows up on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rollei-80mm-f-2-0-Xenotar-PQ-Lens-for-6008-Camera-Super-Fast-/200898514633

I already have the Schneider AFD-Xenotar PQS 2.8/80 mm, the Zeiss Planar PQ 2.8/80 mm and the Zeiss Planar PQ 2.0/110 mm.

Just wondering whether the 80mm/f2.0 would bring anything unique to the table?  And how it compares to the above-mentioned lenses?

Thanks, Joris.

I just got one, and it is really big & heavy! the build quality is as good as the Schneider 180mm/f2.8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up