Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF6400  (Read 11057 times)

IanT

iPF6400
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »

Took delivery of my Canon iPF6400 and my first initial impressions are good although I have
not had much time to play with it yet (just a couple of calibration prints) I had been warned about
the amount of ink used during priming but was pleasantly surprised it only used about 10%

Very easy to setup but took a couple of bodies to lift it on to its stand, software easy to install
and the Photoshop plug-in works well just need time to get to know the machine now and print
a few images on different materials.

Final I would like to thank Mark and his team at Graphic Design Supplies Ltd for all there help
and a very speedy delivery of both machine and consumables.

Will do a more in-depth review once I have had a chance to play bit more.

Only question I have is anyone else using the 6400 and if so how are
you getting on with it.

IanT

Bullfrog

Re: iPF6400
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »

I have a 6100 - so I'm not much help (beyond being a tad jealous)

However, one comment.

Unless they improved the 6400 over the 6100 - my understanding is the measurements for ink levels are in increments of 20% as viewed on the LCD monitor and status monitor.  So, today you are happy with your ink levels and based on the status monitor, everything looks good - and suddenly you dip to 80%.  

The same with the maitenance cartridge.

However, I have found checking the print status job log of actual print job to be very accurate in terms of ink usage -

Interested to hear what others' views are on this printer .

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:22:06 pm by Bullfrog »

IanT

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »

Cheers for the heads up on the levels I will keep an eye on it and let you know
how it goes.

Sal Baker

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:16 am »

I'm very interested in hearing what you think about the 6400's new tone controls for the advanced B&W mode.

Sal

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:35 am »

Its great, but don't forget to calibrate!!

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/12791457
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

IanT

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:53 pm »

Cheers will get calibration done as soon as I get 5min I am
juggling to many things at the moment and can’t even get a chance
to run the machine.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:22 am »

Only question I have is anyone else using the 6400 and if so how are
you getting on with it.

I have the previous model the 6350 (same ink and head set though). Its been a workhorse for me; although I have already been through two print heads. Apart from that I love it and prefer it to the 9400 I have as well. 60" paper is just a nightmare to handle.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 10:10:59 am »

How about an update on your opinion of the Canon?

I've used Epson 17" printers for many years - have read soooo much negative about the new generation that I'm seriously thinking of Canon, the 6400 flavor.  Would like to be able to go to 24" on occasion.

Big issue for me is that I may not print anything for a month -- that seems to be a death nail for the Epsons.

Jack

sjphotos

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:52:01 pm »

Have had mine about 4 months and it has exceeded my expectations. Not so much in print quality,I new I would get that, but in ease of operation. I've printed on rolls and all sizes of sheet paper and never a a miss feed. Changing rolls is a snap, cut sheets feed 1st time and every time. I can let it sit for a week or two and never a problem. I do a lot of B&W printing and I can get deep rich blacks with no bronzing. Great tonal range. The prints are absolutely stunning. I had an Epson 7800 prior and this printer is a joy to use by comparison. No knock on Epson. I still use my 3880 for smaller prints and I absolutely love that printer as well. As a test I printed a 17x22 on each, same paper and profiles and the prints are identical. Cannot make out any difference what so ever.
Loading profiles are easy and I also find navigating through the printers monitor easy as well. Hopefully all the operations I have experienced so far with this printer will remain constant over time. Will report back after the first year. The real test will be the test of time.

Enjoy your new printer and I hope you love yours a s much as I love mine.

Best,
SJ

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 06:20:39 am »

Thanks for the feedback - that's what I was hoping to read!

Now, to wait for their next Rebate promotion or find a dealer desperate to sell one - see I just missed a good rebate that ended last month.

Jack

Sal Baker

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 07:57:04 am »

Thanks for the feedback - that's what I was hoping to read!

Now, to wait for their next Rebate promotion or find a dealer desperate to sell one - see I just missed a good rebate that ended last month.

Jack

B&H had it on sale for $1,650 w/free shipping a few months ago.  The sale only lasted a short while so keep your eyes open.

Sal

JimGoshorn

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 05:49:55 pm »

I am very interested in hearing reports on this printer. As one of those with a 7900 with a failed printhead, I am researching all options.

Jim

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »

I've had mine for several months now and could not be happier. No worries about not printing for a while as the printer stays on all the time and runs it's own maintenance. I also have a 3880 and was hoping the Canon would be as good for bw. It is and more. I've already printed a five foot bw pano and was thrilled with the results.
I purchased mine as I had concerns about the 7900. Also the size and weight were a concern and the Canon has a smaller footprint (it had to travel up three flights of stairs!).

JimGoshorn

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »

From what I have heard, the print quality is supposed to be indistinguishable from the Epson printers. I do wonder how long the printheads will last before requiring replacement which will cost about $1,000 for the pair.

Jim

sjphotos

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:30:29 pm »

I got mine when B&H had it for $1904.00 and $300.00 rebate plus free shipping. Received my rebate in about 4 weeks. I paid no tax and free shipping. Total investment $1604.00. Got it at just at the right time. I new this was too good a of deal to pass up especially since I was in need and ready to make the purchase.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 06:05:28 am »

Just did a search and the lowest I can find today is $2299.00 at B&H.
Long way to go to get savings mentioned above.

Looks like I'll be in a holding pattern till another round of rebates are offered.

Jack

Paris1968

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:41 pm »

At least as compared to the Canon 6300, the Epson 7900 produces superior prints.  I own both, and while the Canon produces truly wonderful prints, and while the quality difference isn't great and may not matter for most jobs,  it is noticeable.  The Canon, OTOH, has advantages over the Epson: it never clogs, it never needs nozzle cleanings, it is more economical with its ink, it has a great PS Export plug-in, it has a built in accounting program and a built in calibration function, and it is fundamentally more reliable.

Sal Baker

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:38 pm »

I haven't compared the 6300, but to my eyes the 7900 and 6400 prints are both stellar and indistinguishable from each other.  I haven't looked at either under a microscope though.

Sal

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
iPF6400 on its way
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:03 am »

Canon UK have just told me they are sending a 6450 (6400+spectro) for a while to try out, for a review.

Given I've an iPF8300 here, I'll be curious to see any print differences, and how practical/useful that spectro is (it certainly looks ugly, but I'm told is removable).

As ever, if anyone has specific questions, just mail me and I'll add them to the 'to look at' list ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 07:14:14 am »

In my experience there are two distinct groups of us that print; those that have focused on their photography work as a source of income and as such are printing on a regular basis and those like myself where it is an obsession but not something where we have enough demand to print several times a week. 

Most of my printing is to just knock out a print of an image I've just finished and like for myself or my family members use.  Occasionally a friend will ask me for a print and I do one as a gift.  I go through spells where I'll get wrapped up in working on 2 or 3 of my files and finally get them to a point that I'm satisfied and want a print.  Them I may go off on a tangent with one of my other obsessions, say flying R/C gliders, and not get back to photography for four or five weeks.

Now, I could send my files off to a shop to be printed BUT being the Poster Child for the N.American Anal Retentive we know I'd never be happy with their work!  Thus I'm stuck with doing it myself.

Being 90+% of my work is B&W printing, some panoramas, there are just two issues a printer must meet for me to be satisfied:
1.  Outstanding B&W print, with excellent color for the times I'm needing it.
2.  Ability to forget the printer for up to 5 weeks and still have it function properly when I return. (OK, if I have to I could set an alert in the computer to remind me to do a text print every 2.5 weeks just to exercise the printer.)

I've read at length the hundreds of pages here where folks have spent large amounts of time, money and frustration with the new gen of Epsons.  On a relative basis, that does not seem to exist for Canon.

I had the Epson 4800 for several years and it rarely clogged up on me.  But we moved last fall and I sold it.  Part of not having any problem with the Epson may have been contributed to by the high humidity of where we were living at the time - Naples, FL.  Now in Chapel Hill, NC and in the winter it takes a humidifier on the furnance to keep the house at just 30% humidity.

In short, how about quality of B&W prints on the Canon verse the Epson?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up